iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Selecting logging chokers. Any help appreciated!

Started by ollyjg, March 26, 2021, 10:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ollyjg

Hi All,
I've been pulling out some timber. At the moment I have a machine bunching 3-4 logs and I'm pulling them out with a dozer and a 30 ft wire rope using a couple of D links.
For the steeper ground where I cant get a machine down to bunch, we could really do with some chokers.

I was thinking to purchase a half dozen chokers (bell and double nubbin) as well as a sleeve type slider and half a dozen ring type sliders.
In NZ, however, it sounds as though people (retailers) only use (sell) hold-rite style hooks and that these, too, are now obsolete.

ollyjg

Has anyone had any experience with the hold-rite hooks shown in the linked page [https://shaws.co.nz/forestry/logging-rigging-equip]?
An alternative recommended by a local retailer were logging toggles (also shown in the above linked, page). The downside, that I can see is that the mainline needs to be 'threaded' through the chokers, or the chokers would need to be left on the mainline.

Another option would be to go for some mainline skidder rings / logslider mainline rings, T's and New England chokers. Any thoughts as to what has worked best for people, would be appreciated!

One of the local fellers recommended wire chokers with choker chain hooks rather than using bells. Anyone seen this done before? Thanks in advance!

Thank You Sponsors!