iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmills to cut big timbers for TF project

Started by Biocmp, June 09, 2021, 10:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biocmp

I had an order placed for a mill but then had some changes in my life so that got postponed. I'm looking for a sawmill in the Southern Indiana area that can supply me with timbers. 4x4, 5x5, 4x8, 6x8, etc.  What's the best way to find mills?

I've done some google searches and looked around online and haven't had much luck. Any suggestions?

red

There is a guy on YouTube called Southern Indiana Sawmill he has a Woodmizer and is building a timber frame sawmill shed . 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Mad Professor

Those aren't that big dia., how long?

Woodmizer website has search function by state for sawyers.

Do you have/can get sawlogs?  What species of wood?

scsmith42

Just about any mill can mill those sizes in 12' - 16' lengths; the key question is do you need something longer and if so how long?

Other than length, you also need to know if  you need heart centered, and if the mill will provide that in the grade that you need, and if they have an economical source for any non-standard length logs.

I used to live in Newburgh; just outside of Evansville, and there were a lot of Amish sawmills in central Indiana as well as across the river in Kentucky that offered inexpensive hardwoods.

Woodmizers website also has a link to their various owners across the USA.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Larry

Quote from: Biocmp on June 09, 2021, 10:59:36 PM
What's the best way to find mills?
Simple, do a google search "sawmills near me".  Start calling.  I get calls every day asking about something.  If I don't do it or have it I refer the caller to a nearby mill that does do it. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Biocmp

Quote from: Larry on June 13, 2021, 10:21:06 PM
Quote from: Biocmp on June 09, 2021, 10:59:36 PM
What's the best way to find mills?
Simple, do a google search "sawmills near me".  Start calling.  I get calls every day asking about something.  If I don't do it or have it I refer the caller to a nearby mill that does do it.
Thanks Larry, I've likely had bad luck so far. Contacted 4 mills, the cheapest I've found $1/bdft for white pine.  2 mills just said, "we only do furniture grade hardwood".  I asked if they had any other mills to suggest and got nothing.
I'll keep calling around.

Thank You Sponsors!