iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this dog retarded?

Started by WV Sawmiller, June 27, 2021, 08:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Sorry, that may not be PC "Is this dog intellectually challenged?"

Somehow we got conned into pet sitting our 13 y/o gd dachshund mix Teddy for a few days. About midnight when he was howling and whining in his crate and my wife freed him and brought him to our bed (First time in nearly 44 years we have had a dog on our bed) before we finally got some sleep. Evidently he sleeps with our gd every night. My wife asked me "Why did you agree to keeping Teddy?" I replied "I didn't agree to keep Teddy, I thought you told her it was okay.

He is a very alert dog and sees every movement of everything around him.

He spotted our yellow suckerfish in the aquarium scooting from end to end and now he wants to spend his whole day chasing the fish from one end of the aquarium to the other. Occasionally he will lose sight of of the fish and he digs through the fish food and filters and other materials on the shelf under the aquarium. At one point I saw him with one front paw lifted in a classic bird dog on point stance. ::) I know Sampson loves to bark at a catfish in the boat and even barks at shaking limblines but never heard of a dog pointing a fish or chasing aquarium fish.

Teddy has a lot of personality but I am wondering if his elevator rises to the upper floors. ???
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

He's what I would call ' a half a bubble off plumb', bless his heart.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Roxie

:D :D

Okay I was heading off for bed and reading your title started me laughing but the pictures alone are so funny. 

Sleep well grandpa. How long is he staying?  
Say when

WV Sawmiller

Roxie,

I don't think I heard an exact time frame. I can only say "Too long". I suspect we'll have him 3-4 more days if we can survive that long. >:(
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

I don't think his bubble is even touching the line! :-\
Howard Green

Corley5

You'll miss him when he leaves ;) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

alan gage

The only good thing about some dogs is that they aren't mine.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

WV Sawmiller

Corley,

Would you like to put a bet on that? ;D

Alan,

I think you nailed the situation!
Howard Green

sawguy21

We had to put both dogs down at the same time due to age and health problems, my wife was heartbroken and we decided we wouldn't have another one. Well, my sister bless her heart didn't listen (as usual) and got us one. I am on my own now and wouldn't be without her but at times it's like having a two year old that never grows up. Teddy will keep you entertained and steal your heart, trust me. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sprucebunny

Dogs are just like people and have different interests. I think he is the opposite of retarded. He is interested in something real and not the TV. It would be fun to take him to a stream that had fish and see what he did !

I had a Lab mix that would try to catch fish in the river and when she got tired of striking out, would pretend she was just interested in the rocks  :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

WV Sawmiller

Well, we had a repeat of the howling in the crate and my wife relenting and letting him out and he hopped up on the bed for the night. I really don't think this is going to work out. I woke up to sweet kisses and got my hopes up only to find the dog was awake and licking my ear. And when he farts in the bed you know who gets the blame. ::)
Howard Green

samandothers

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on June 28, 2021, 08:33:04 AM
     And when he farts in the bed you know who gets the blame. ::)

This could work to your advantage in the future.  Turn around is fair play!  He can shoulder some of the miss directed blame in the future!

WV Sawmiller

Sam,

You don't sound like a man who has been married a long time. That is not how these things work. :-\ :'(
Howard Green

Nebraska

He's perfectly  normal for a dachshound terrier mix.  Those circuits aren't wired to code.....  No dogs in bed. :)

Raider Bill

My dog always sleeps with me. Granted she's only 12 pounds so she doesn't take up much room. She burrows herself under the covers by my feet. 
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

sawguy21

Karen's dog did until I got my knee nipped, that ended real quick!

K-Guy

We are on our third dog since getting married and all of them slept with us.

As far as retarded goes, our niece has a dog the loves watching TV but goes nuts over the Toy Story movies.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Tacotodd

Quote from: Corley5 on June 27, 2021, 09:07:51 PM
You'll miss him when he leaves ;) :)

Like an extra hole in the head.  :rifle: 
Trying harder everyday.

Corley5

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on June 28, 2021, 08:33:04 AM
   Well, we had a repeat of the howling in the crate and my wife relenting and letting him out and he hopped up on the bed for the night. I really don't think this is going to work out. I woke up to sweet kisses and got my hopes up only to find the dog was awake and licking my ear. And when he farts in the bed you know who gets the blame. ::)
He's getting you trained  ;) :D ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

WV Sawmiller

He's back and he thinks he's a cat. He jumps up on the couch and climbs and walks along the back of it and watches out the window.

Our son and family went to Dollywood for the day and left the dog with us last night. He has a neat personality but he doesn't miss anything and sees and hears everything. i am afraid he is teaching Sampson bad habits.
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

Here he is sprawled out on the floor. You can't tell me that is normal posture! Maybe he is still reminding everyone of his trip to the vet a while back.

You can'tell me this looks normal! 

At least Sampson still knows how to repose with some poise, dignity and grace.

I hear they are making a remake of the Omen movies and I am going to see if we can't get Teddy an audition for the part of Damien's dog. :-\
Howard Green

thecfarm

I have a Westie that lays on the back of the couch the same way. DIL has 2 Westies, they do it too. The dog will lay on top of the wife's chair if I am not on the couch.
That laying does look different.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

trimguy

Uhhuh, sounds like you missed him. ;D

WV Sawmiller

One of his spots is the love seat and he lays with his head on a pillow there. My son just called to confirm they made it back and offered to come get him but I told him leave him another night as it is too late and they had a long hard day and he is not causing any problems.

Trimguy,

If you really believe that you stayed out in the sun too long sawing Ron's deer stand lumber and got too hot. :D
Howard Green

sawguy21

Oh come on Howard! You are a softie for dogs like the rest of us. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!