iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Use for grindings

Started by Chuck White, July 04, 2021, 09:20:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

I've been wondering this for quite a while!

Is there a real use for grinder dust?

I keep a small bucket under my sawblade sharpener to contain the filings.

Wondering if they would maybe do gardening soil any good!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

mike_belben

it would contain various stone dusts, binder, rust and iron i suppose.  

chelated iron is a garden amendment to remediate a yellow anemic deficiency. 
Praise The Lord

Chuck White

Ya, it'll have adhesive particles from the grindwheel, as well as particles of the grindwheel itself along with the steel from the blades being ground!
I just didn't know if there was a "real" use for it or just put it in a bag and send it to recycle pickup!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

mike_belben

At smith and wesson they made polishing wheels from criss cross laminated plywood glued up in a press, then lathe turned round, and then a leather belt got glued and tacked to the peripheral face.  About 16" diameter.

That wood puck got put on a powered arbor and glue then grit media was applied to the leather.  Walla.  Polishing jack.  

If you magnetized the rust out youd have the grit. 
Praise The Lord

Sauna freak

Thermite is a very useful substance for the intrepid handyman.  Be careful googling, you might end up on a watch list.

I like to use it for an emergency weld, and for it's original ( benign) incendiary uses.
Sauna... like spa treatment, but for men

welderskelter

Scatter them in your raspberry patch. They love to grow around old machinery.

btulloh

I use them as to amend the soil just outside the door of my metal shop.  
HM126

brianJ

Quote from: mike_belben on July 05, 2021, 11:16:30 PM
 That wood puck got put on a powered arbor and glue then grit media was applied to the leather.  Walla.  Polishing jack.  

If you magnetized the rust out youd have the grit.
Very good information as I am now the closest I have ever been to discovering what hem southerners make grits from.

Thank You Sponsors!