iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Reference Faces For centered Brace

Started by AKsteelhead, July 29, 2021, 01:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKsteelhead

Hello All,
First question on forum. Been learning from you all for a couple of years now and thank you for all the information that so many of you have provided. I have been apart of a few small frame builds and everything I know has come from these pages. I have for the most part been able to find answers to my questions on here. My question today is about doing centered braces with 1/2" deep pockets. I know the concern about being able to accurately measure the pocket depth on rough cut timbers has come up because these pockets are on none reference faces. I am going to build a four post frame for a house entrance, picture is below. Normally using square rule the two outside faces of each corner post would be my reference faces. On this frame could I do just the opposite and have the two inside faces of each post be my reference faces. By doing this my pockets would be a true 1/2" deep and plumb/square with the other reference face that also has a brace pocket. The only draw back I can see from doing this is my exterior outside faces of posts and plates might not be flush to each other. There might be a little "lip" where two members meet if they are not exactly 8" dimension. To stay uniform I guess I would have to use the inside faces of the ties and plates as reference faces too. I wont be putting siding on this frame and could touch up those little lips on the outside if needed. Any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks 

flyingparks

If you use the same reference face for your braces, that you use for your posts and beams, then you should be fine. Whether it's outside or inside. 

Thank You Sponsors!