iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chicken house

Started by Wlmedley, March 18, 2022, 06:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wlmedley

Anyone have any pictures of their chicken house.Planning to build one this spring and would appreciate any ideas.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

DWyatt

Here's mine I built this year, actually . 10'x10' building area and 10'x14' fenced run. All the lumber except the trusses and floor sawed on my mill the year before it preparation. I only worked on it after work in the dark so it's all the pictures I have. I'll try to remember to take one in daylight tomorrow.

Wlmedley

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Stephen1

Looks good, lets see some other Chicken coops
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

newoodguy78

Built a bunch of these. This one has the nesting boxes in the front and the roosts towards the back others access the nesting boxes from the outside. Don't have a picture of it totally finished. All of them have a slatted floor. No need to find someone to shovel it out that way   :D .
 They move them around the pastures, this one is probably 3 years old now. 

Southside

Like a moth to a flame.  Or a hen to a mouse.  Anyway - you going to build something stationary or portable?  I will get some pictures of our portable set up tomorrow.  12x20 with 62 nest boxes houses 300 hens overnight. Building two more now.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Walnut Beast

Quote from: newoodguy78 on March 18, 2022, 08:04:44 PM

Built a bunch of these. This one has the nesting boxes in the front and the roosts towards the back others access the nesting boxes from the outside. Don't have a picture of it totally finished. All of them have a slatted floor. No need to find someone to shovel it out that way   :D .
You sure do a nice job on them👍💪

Stephen1

I was just thinking of having a few chickens for my own eggs. something like a sawmill for my own wood! NOT
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

newoodguy78

Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 18, 2022, 08:10:17 PM
Quote from: newoodguy78 on March 18, 2022, 08:04:44 PM

Built a bunch of these. This one has the nesting boxes in the front and the roosts towards the back others access the nesting boxes from the outside. Don't have a picture of it totally finished. All of them have a slatted floor. No need to find someone to shovel it out that way   :D .
You sure do a nice job on them👍💪
Thank you, always try to take pride in my work. 

Wlmedley

Quote from: Southside on March 18, 2022, 08:05:34 PM
Like a moth to a flame.  Or a hen to a mouse.  Anyway - you going to build something stationary or portable?  I will get some pictures of our portable set up tomorrow.  12x20 with 62 nest boxes houses 300 hens overnight. Building two more now.  
Mine will be stationary and built on a slight slope.Not much flat ground up my way.Probably no more than a dozen chickens.Also predators numerous,coyotes,possums,hawks etc.Just some thing else to make us a little more self reliant.

Brian_Rhoad

Here are some plans from North Dakota State University.

Poultry Building Plans

doc henderson

neat thread.  I built ours 15 years ago.  only 4 x 8 feet, we had a dozen chickens.  had a fenced yard for them to go out.  had gate latch hardware so you could open the door to the fenced yard and close it from outside.  kids could collect eggs.  i will try to get pics.  for yard tools now.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

DWyatt

For something for 12 chickens, here's our old one that I built. It held 15 till the fox got them. If you you're close to NW Ohio, I'd give it to you! Trim the legs to fit the slope. Cottonwood framing and white oak siding all sawed from trees at the old house

Yes, this is how I hauled it 20 miles from the old house to the new place. Chickens locked inside with the board screwed to the opening  :D

WDH

I take my beagle for a ride around the farm, but I have never rode chickens. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

kantuckid

I like keeping chickens but stopped a few years back cause my good nearest neighbor, had/has a chicken eating dog. I've had conventional house with fly way doors but my most recent was a small A-frame house with a walkway down to the ground built on skids for pasture moves. Huge numbers of web pics to look at along with dedicated chicken coop forums. 
Check out feed prices now before you begin to think you'll save any money. It's been marginal money saver for many years, more so it's a hobby. Even if you raise mixed sex chicks, between the chick costs, feed costs and such-> Walmart eggs and meat are less and you can buy free-range there as well. 
In my own case I liked the breeds and the hobby part but can live w/o them too. Chicken house attract rats, all types of mice, predators of all types, snakes that eat yer chicks and eggs too and the rodents-been there done that.  ;D 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Nebraska

Chickens are banned at our place.  Wife grew up with them and was cured..

doc henderson

My dad grew up working on a chicken farm.  eggs or chicken for nearly every meal.  I did not see him eat either till I was prob. 10.   smiley_turkey_dancing
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

The home of Phyllis Phinest Pastured Eggs. Simply put, they are Phabulous. 

It's always Easter when Phillips is around.

Phyllis the egg Ambassador

JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

last name Diller?  I have seen that hair somewhere before.   :D

rusticretreater

Pharm out! Is your rooster named Phang?
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

WDH

That is phor sure a Chicken Pharm.  No wonder you are obsessed with chickens.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

Phyllis is actually the egg Ambassador and yes Doc that was the name inspiration. 

We rebranded our eggs using Phyllis Phinest as a name, she is on the carton, has a FB fans page and website section.  People come here and ask to hold her, take pictures, etc so we knew we had something. I kid you not that chicken comes when called. Never seen anything like it so she gets royal treatment. The Easter eggs all year is a huge seller for us in the retail market, have to boost production by another 350 dozen / week by summer to meet a new contract,  and had to buy another egg washer that cost more than my first skidder. Now I have to build a dedicated egg room off the milk house. 

All the new social media stuff, labels, banners, etc are being launched in a couple of weeks, right before Easter.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

samandothers

A pharout phabulous phacility phor phoul.

Don P

I made one during the layoff of '08. I couldn't find a pic on the computer but had entered it at the time in some online chicken coop competition. The judges made some remark after it got a fair number of positive comments. The chickens didn't seem to mind, nor did other seemingly uneducated folk. I went looking, it shows up here and there. I don't know this person and he doesn't know me  :D. That is our black and tan with the coop;
Gypsy chicken coop plans | Jum Chicken Coop (jumpcoop.blogspot.com)

Mooseherder

Are you still using it?   

Thank You Sponsors!