iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Louisville KY!

Started by Squatzilla, May 13, 2022, 11:30:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squatzilla

Hello all! I recently became interested in woodworking, and just assembled a 3.5 ft wooden planter that displays my hood number. It was my first time using a square, saw, kregjig, sander, and nailer. 

Looking to build a few more things before I build a kitchen table. I also am interesting in milling my own logs as my property has lots of useable lumber. I am located near Louisville and am very excited about the resources in this forum and all the generous people behind it. 

Squatzilla

House number.. but hood number I guess technically works too. 

kantuckid

For the record, as a lifelong woodworker, age 78, I've never owned a kreg setup and never seen the need either. Nailers I do own but many years before I did and my hands wish it had been sooner! Rarely do I use them for woodshop work, mostly construction. 
I'm 135 miles east of the Galt House Hotel in Louisville, KY near Natural Bridge SP. Welcome! 
My advice is to move slowly on buying tools. Many people see tool buying as a substitute for knowing how to work with wood. As you move toward which ways you favor to turn wood into smaller or larger pieces :D you'll begin to lean in various directions. 
I find carving and lathe work to be the most therapeutic but have never been satisfied to do one kind of wood projects. Appalachian style chairs are my first choice, carving bowls by hand the 2nd. Worn out hands tame my activities such as lathe work.
Welcome to the FF. 

Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

kantuckid

This should be in woodworking? 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

samandothers

Welcome!  We all started with some project that we enjoyed and learned from.  Then we tackle something else where we use or do something different and so on.  Pocket whole jigsaw can be handy and quick especially where not seen.  Enjoy your new hobby! 

47sawdust

Wouldn't be w/o my pocket jig.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

GAB

Kantuckid said: "My advice is to move slowly on buying tools."
If you are investing your smokes and alcoholic monies in tools that can last you a lifetime then I am with you.  
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!