iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Electric chainsaw for mill work

Started by dustyhat, January 17, 2023, 12:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustyhat

Electric chainsaw for mill work , guys are wanting one cutting up unruly slabs squares etc. gassing up cranking cold saws is getting old i guess, them 85 year old men are getting tired , i see there's several brands and prices what do you recommend . appreciate the input. 

barbender

I'd look into a cordless battery saw. I have a Dewalt 20v, it's the small one. It works great for a quick cut here and there, but I'd want a more powerful one for more serious cutting. The Milwaukee 18v is supposed to be kind of an animal. 
Too many irons in the fire

rastis

I have a green works 80volt 18 inch bar that works great for light duty use. Pick it up, push the on button and cut. 

stanmillnc

I use the 60V 16" bar DeWalt chainsaw and it works well for quick trimming around the mill. Plus the added benefit of using the same battery style for all my other tools. Had the 20v, 12" bar DeWalt version before this one and it was next to useless in my opinion - just underpowered. Used a Husqvarna 540i XP for a bit on loan and it was awesome with great power and long battery life - couldn't justify the high price though.

WV Sawmiller

Another option is look at the Stihl easy crank saw. Yes, it is gas powered but it is designed for women and people with shoulder problems and such. You just slowly pull the cord and it winds a starter coil and when it reaches a certain point it releases and cranks the saw on the reverse cycle. My wife bought one and it works as advertised.

I have and use a 20V Braun (HF) cordless circular saw for cutting up green stickers from edgings and trimming/salvaging short bords from boards and flitches while sawing. I love it but it does not have the power or longevity to cut big stuff or for a long time.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I have had/used a 40 volt Ryobi for several years.  It just works and the price is right.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

I have the Milwaukee 18V and have never been disappointed with it. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

stavebuyer

Many mills are now using cordless circle saws on the lumber grading line. With a carbide tipped blade eliminates the problem of chain sharpening too.

terrifictimbersllc

Stihl msa200 c with ap300s battery love it. I won't be trimming the end of most logs that I mill with it but it probably handles half of what I pick up a chainsaw to do both around the mill and elsewhere.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Patrick NC

I also have a Dewalt 20v that I bought to keep on the Side by Side when we go riding.  It's OK for smaller cuts. I've cut a few boards with it and it does fine for that. We were on a trail in west Virginia right after I first bought it and we came up on a 16" dead tree that had fallen across the trail. I think it was red oak, but not sure. That little saw kept us from having to backtrack several miles that day. Used up all the battery it had, but it made 2 cuts through that tree to clear the trail.
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

randy d

We have an Echo 5000 it is 56v and has not been out very long. We got it to use by the mill but it works well for cutting fire wood, can cut a 16 inch maple and will fill the box on our 835 gator do we like it you bet we do. Just keep it sharp.  Randy

Gere Flewelling

I purchased a new Husqvarna in 2018 to use to cut slabs into 4' lengths on the band mill. Tried small gas, corded electric, and medium sized gas. Husqvarna is the best saw I have come across.  I use it a lot for cutting firewood as well.  Has a regular chain so it cuts well on either side of the bar. Might consider a Milwaukee cordless but happy with the Husky.  On battery #3, chain #2.  I highly recommend them.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

florida

Project Farm tested the cordless saws  and Echo won hands down. Dewalt was second, I think Makita third and the rest in a jumble after that.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

boonesyard

Had all the Milwaukee tools already so went with their 16" saw, reviews were real good as well. Had it for 2 years and has been excellent around the mill. Would buy it again. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

maineshops

I've used a kobalt for many years. 18 in 80v. 
I now have 3 battery saws of different brands and sizes. None replace a gas saw but do a great job for the limited work that I do. Down a balsam fir with the big one trim it up with a smaller one, ct slabs off the mill etc.
   Starting the gas saw is difficult here lately. Dan
Phil:4, 13

richhiway

I have the Milwaukee 18V it is handy but in my view these battery saws are far from a gas saw. The chain speed is slow and the ergonomics are poor. Run it a while and the handle angle hurts the wrist. Also overpriced. I also had a 269.00 12ah battery that was hardly used refuse to charge. It had 18V I think the circuit board was  bad. I sent it back and they wanted the price of a new battery to repair it. 

I have a lot of Ryobi and you can not beat them for the price. I went for the red saw thinking they would be better but I don't think they are worth the price. I have the red skilsaw and again it is handy. But it is also heavy and really does not compare to a 110V saw.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

OlJarhead

I picked up the Echo DCS5000 early last year and have abused it a bit ;)

First I ran it dropping small saplings to clear out some land for fire protection and tested it on some bigger stuff.  I also did a short comparison with my Husky 455 Rancher but found afterwards it was missing a tooth on the chain as I'd forgotten I'd run into metal with it and the chain was NOT sharp so it's unfair really.
Can the ECHO DCS5000 BATTERY CHAINSAW Really Perform? [56v] - YouTube

Then I tested it against a Ryobi gas 38cc saw here:
MUST SEE CHAINSAW BATTLE! Echo DSC5000 Battery vs RYOBI 38CC Gas! - YouTube

There was a video I think someone else mentioned in which the Echo beat out all other saws in it's class including the DeWalt (which was the previous winner).

In my opinion, and I'm not a pro by any stretch, the Echo is worth the money.  It's a very good saw and just 1 5AH battery will do for most people (I bought two so I could go a lot longer but really didn't need to).

I've also used the DeWalt but it's chain was dull at the time so I just set it aside and pulled out my Husky ;)

For small / light work the electric saws are great and I think the Echo is one of the best.

Cheers
Erik
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

barbender

I've never thought of the battery saws as replacing the gas ones. They are handy as heck for when you don't need or want to fire the gas saw up though. So will my Dewalt 20v trim that 16' 2x6 to 12' because of wane, absolutely. The 18" log I need to buck 2' of defect off of? No, probably not😊

barbender

Andries

That poor lil saw got so heated up with that big butt end that it just popped it's battery right off! 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

YellowHammer

I have the Sihl as well, it's a little Tasmanian devil.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

barbender

Yeah I cut that tree with a Husky 390xp, I had the battery saw in my pickup and I couldn't resist😊 Some guys I know, that should know better, got all fired up when I put that on FB. "There's no way you can drop a 36" tree with a 12" bar!"😂😂

rusticretreater

Wood turners have been using electric and battery powered saws as they are ideal for using in a garage for trimming log rounds or splitting a round.  I have also seen folks lop off wood while the piece is on the lathe.

As for felling trees with a battery saw,  more battery power to ya!
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Brian_Rhoad

Old Greenhorn

:D :D
 Hard to separate the saw from the operator in those  videos. Apparently using an electric saw means you can make narrow notch angles, bypass your notch cut, cut through your hinge, leave hangers, and do all kinds of other sloppy stuff without consequences. :D Yeah, I get it, plantation pine, easy felling, but that guy is so intent on selling that saw that he is moving faster than his brain can work trying to 'sell' the saw. I also thought I detected some 'strategic editing' going on. ;D
 Separating all the silliness and showmanship out, yeah, that saw works well for felling and limbing, but at the end of the second video he also shows that it comes up short on bucking rounds, which is where you need a real saw. If I was the guy standing behind him I would have just grabbed a gas saw off the tractor and gotten to it. Felling and limbing that small plantation stuff it fits in pretty well. Repetitive bucking, no flipping way IMO. I nearly fell asleep waiting for him to get through.

I really did like that battery wedge he had in the first video and the ability to reset it for a better lift. That would be handy for me doing mushroom log trees which are thin and tend to hang, but not worth carrying all day long for the few I have to drive over.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

wisconsitom

Since this ain't about mill work anymore, I'll mention I tried a red and black battery saw one of my kids has, just to see.  It was not light in weight with the battery.  I didn't care for the ergonomics of the safety switch configuration -hands got fatigued by that a bit.

Was felling small conifers and limbing same.  I found it felt and performed decent for the notch and felling cuts, and was nearly unsuitable for limbing.  Too heavy, awkward, and underpowered for that biz.

That was saw's maiden voyage and when I looked at where I'd set it on the shop floor, the next morning, there was a little puddle of oil,  leaking out of the chain adjust screw hole.  

I hear a lot too about how handy it is to just pick one of these battery saws up and go do your random few cuts.  Sounds like a recipe for more injuries, as things like chaps, eye protection, etc. get skipped....time will tell.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

beenthere

My 7' Stihl electric pole saw is a dream come true. Very handy for pruning up trees to around 12', battery lasts longer than I am interested in cutting, great for reaching in to spruce and pruning the lower branches out of the way for dropping the tree (later with the MS261 ), and it cuts great (much like in the video). Made it easy to sell my Stihl telescoping pole saw. 
Same battery as my Stihl blower. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Brian_Rhoad on January 20, 2023, 08:21:02 PM
Stihl MSA 300

Stihl MSA 300
That's the one I want to check out!! But doesn't seem to be available or it's limited in the US. They say it performs better than a 261. Pretty good reviews 40% more battery capacity is a game changer. Talking about the saw. 
https://youtu.be/2keEW5Ipu7I

Walnut Beast

Quote from: barbender on January 20, 2023, 06:20:24 PM
Yeah I cut that tree with a Husky 390xp, I had the battery saw in my pickup and I couldn't resist😊 Some guys I know, that should know better, got all fired up when I put that on FB. "There's no way you can drop a 36" tree with a 12" bar!"😂😂
You might think different wit the new Stihl msa 300 electric 

sealark37

I use Husky battery tools including their chainsaw, which works well.  The pole saw and string trimmer are also good tools.  The hedge trimmer became inop the first season.  After some fits and starts, they finally solved the Husky battery problems. I never use my gas tools any more.

alecs

If you already have a bunch of cordless tools and the associated battery and charger infrastructure, I would seriously look in that direction and get the chainsaw offering by the same manufacturer.  I have a Makita cordless saw that uses two 18V 5.0Ah batteries.  It is great for lots of small tasks.  I originally saw it used at a timber framing class I went to, it was used to cut 8x8 and 10x12 pine to final length.  The lack of engine vibration meant it could make an accurate cut where the beam was too thick for even an oversize circular saw.  But since then, I've used the cordless saw whenever possible, including around the mill.  

There are often deals where if you buy a cordless tool, you get an extra set of batteries.  So I now have a bunch of the Makita 5.0 batteries and two chargers that each charge two batteries.  With one set of batteries on the saw and two more sets on the chargers, I can pretty much cut non stop if I want to.  

Guido Salvage

I have been a chain saw collector for many years, at one point I had 500 of them. I have a Stihl MSA140 that I keep in my sawmill truck for use at the mill. Great for bumping knots and such.

I also sell Stihl products and will be attending a training session at our distributor next month. I am hoping they have a MSA300 there to test.

TSAW

I have the Milwaukee 16" battery powered saw it does a decent job for quick cuts.  Just to see what it would do I cut a red oak log that was 18" diameter, it had no trouble getting through it just had to chase the cut from the other side.  We also have the Stihl Battery chainsaw on the Rescue Squad that I drive where I work and it does a good job also.  The only thing I will note of these battery saws if something pinches the chain the saw will stop until you fix the issue.

OlJarhead

Oh the Echo has the power to cut through that 18" log ;)  In fact, I did a 17" dry fir in one of those videos and then, on the same battery, after cutting some small stuff, ripped another chunk of firewood in half with it!

It's surprising how much power it has and it handled the rip in some ways better than the gas powered 38cc saw.  The gas saw in the end was faster but the Echo held it's own!

21incher

I just got my Hatchet m18 saw. Was preorder and finally shipped.  Cute little saw that can hang off a strap. 

Pretty  much all I use now are the electric saws. My 16 inch m18 saw will keep up with most small gas saws. And the m18 pole saw is awesome for trimming up in the air. In a couple weeks I should be able to order the m18 top handle 14 inch saw. The only  one I am disappointed in is the 20 volt dewalt saw I bought that is gutless and vibrates bad. Now that the gas saw ban is going in effect soon in California and other states are following we all need to embrace electric saws for smaller jobs. Actually I plan on picking up a spare Echo 590 just to have incase my present one dies before  the ban takes effect in NY. A changing world we live in now.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

DARRELL1972

Dewalt's new 60v has an 18in bar. We run a Dewalt 60v with a 16in bar around the mill and farm for about 3yrs now and we like it. As someone else pointed out find 1 that works with you're battery platform. FYI dwalt 60v battery will work on your 20v tools with no issues. 
95lt40hd
74 8k windham forklift
2018 eg100

Sod saw

We use a green works battery saw at the saw mill for misc trimming etc.  I believe that it is comparable to the descriptions that many of you have posted.  I am happy with it, although the batteries seem to die sooner at low temperatures below freezing, but have solved that issue by having a spare battery handy in the truck.

I do not see how my 3 and 4 foot oak trees are to be safely cut down with one of those battery saws when all states ban gas equipment.   Perhaps it is just my shortsightedness as I am confident that the politicians know more than I do.

Yes, we require those larger stems for house beams.

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

OlJarhead

This is a problem with all batteries 

The lose capacity as they get colder.  Generally life cycles and AH ratings are based on a temperature of 70F.  At 32F they are down around 25% below cap.  By 0F they are at around 50%.

You won't see a loy odmf Teslas driving around way up north 😉

Meanwhile it gets worse.  LiPo batteries will not take a charge at low Temps though they seem to have improved that from the previous 50F min temp to 32F.  Fir example my new cabin batteries must be above 32F to take a charge but can discharge still at around 2F.

So it's important to keep them warm and know they will drain faster / due sooner in the cold.

Sod saw

Yes, OLJarhead is correct.

Our green works uses 60 volt batteries. . .  the same ones as our leaf blower and lawn mower.

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

OlJarhead

Politicians know best 👌 🤣😅😂

lol I missed that.  Good chuckle.

21incher

Quote from: OlJarhead on February 27, 2023, 11:58:07 AM
This is a problem with all batteries

The lose capacity as they get colder.  Generally life cycles and AH ratings are based on a temperature of 70F.  At 32F they are down around 25% below cap.  By 0F they are at around 50%.

You won't see a loy odmf Teslas driving around way up north 😉

Meanwhile it gets worse.  LiPo batteries will not take a charge at low Temps though they seem to have improved that from the previous 50F min temp to 32F.  Fir example my new cabin batteries must be above 32F to take a charge but can discharge still at around 2F.

So it's important to keep them warm and know they will drain faster / due sooner in the cold.

That's the good thing about being retired. I don't work well below 32 degrees either ;). I see they are adding heaters to some LiPo battery packs that allow charging and use at temps below zero. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

OlJarhead

Yup -- of course the heaters need energy so draw from the batteries -- it's a double edged sword :D

I just ordered (sorry it's a little off topic) 360AH of LiPo batteries for the cabin :D  I'm stoked and since I have a super insulated and heated room for the composter and these take up a LOT less space than my FLA's I'll be able to keep them warm which has been a big hang up for me other than price which has come down some.

21incher

What I read is the small pack heaters take very little power and once at temp in a couple seconds the batteries create heat so it's just to get full output fast with out cell damage. I am looking at the 100ah 48 volt batteries (6x) from Signature Solar to set up a system to play with

Southside

I like my M18 saw for what it does, but if such foolishness of mandating them passes here as CA and NY have done, well I will not comply.  Are the battery cops going to show up? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

KWH

Southside, if they do you could get an old Detroit Gen pack to plug in the battery charger.

OlJarhead

That signature solar stuff might not be too bad.  I went with 3 120AH 24v batters at $1k each but 200AH of 48v is more power for less.

Brucer

Stihl MSA 220, 16" bar. I tore my right rotator cuff last fall and couldn't pull-start anything. I needed to get my firewood in so I went electric. Falling small trees (standing dead), bucking up to 14" dry wood, and I expect it will be perfect working with the sawmill this summer. It was doing OK even when the temperature dropped below freezing.

My MSA 300-C is sitting beside me as I type. Just picked it up today. That torn rotator cuff is more than just torn -- I completely severed one of the muscles in my shoulder. So I'm now committed to going all electric.

The 300 is a bit heavy for working around the mill but the 220 is perfect. It's about equivalent to a 30 cc MS170.

I'll post about the MSA 300 in the chainsaw board after I've had a chance to use it a bit.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Walnut Beast

Please do! I want to hear more and your thoughts for sure on the 300 👍

Broncman

I just picked up a Echo DCS 5000 . It has an 18" bar. Was very hesitant,  but man this thing flat out cuts! Cut a tree of my neighbors roof this morning from the storm, took it to my saw mill and cut up slabs into firewood size from an 80 foot poplar I milled today.  Still had plenty of battery .

I cut the butt off of an 18" Poplar and it cut as good as my Echo CS 355 T .

Can't believe how much I ended up liking a battery saw.
Frontier OS31 bandsaw mill
Dehumidifier Kiln with sanitize heat,
Honda Pioneer 1000-5
Stihl and Huskies...

OlJarhead

:)  Now you know why I like mine :D

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: 21incher on February 28, 2023, 07:16:12 PM
What I read is the small pack heaters take very little power and once at temp in a couple seconds the batteries create heat so it's just to get full output fast with out cell damage. I am looking at the 100ah 48 volt batteries (6x) from Signature Solar to set up a system to play with
I think it depends on how cold the batteries are when the heater kicks on that determines how much power it takes to heat the batteries.
If it is -20F and you were using the batteries heavy it won't take much to get them above freezing to take a charge.
On the other hand if it is -20f and the batteries ran out of charge and have been sitting idle for the last 6 hours it is going to take a lot of energy to get that battery up to above freezing so it can take a charge.
I originally planned to go with LIFEPO4 batteries on our house but the inability to charge below freezing and the complexity of a BMS has made me decide to go with lead acid for now and hopefully in 5 to 7 years when they need to be replaced I will have better options than I do now.

OlJarhead

For me it was 8 year old FLAs that made me look and I found more power (usable) in LiPos for about twice the price.  Considering they should last more than twice as long I'm saving $$$ 😉

Now, I do have a room I built to keep them warn so no issues there either.

I'll let you know how they work out though!

Broncman

I did my daughter's RV last fall with a Renogy 48v Lifpo system and invertor.

I placed the Lifpo batteries in an insulated compartment.  Never had an issue. We need more solar cells but her RV roof is full.

We did have issues with a Lead Acid battery freezing in another system.  

I love the ability to be off grid...but it is expensive still and would love to see prices come down.
Frontier OS31 bandsaw mill
Dehumidifier Kiln with sanitize heat,
Honda Pioneer 1000-5
Stihl and Huskies...

OlJarhead

I built my system in stages over several years but it is speedy either way ;)

Thank You Sponsors!