iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old ford tractor guys...

Started by David B, November 29, 2005, 02:32:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David B

Got and 8N...gonna need rear tires before long. Quoted 200 each for tire and tube. Supposedly a rare size. Is there something bigger/cheaper? THANX David B/Dave Idby
Machine and welding shop day job, trees after work.

RSteiner

I had a 1951 8N for over 20 years and I had to repalce the rear tires once.  This was some time ago so I know thr prices have gone up since then.  If I remember right thr rear tires are 11.2 X 28 or there abouts.

I had Firestone farm and fied tires installed.  The tires were $125.00 each then and the tubes were around $25.00 each.  My tires were loaded but I don't remember paying an extra fee for refilling the new ones.

I do remember that both tires got mounted in the same direction.  I didn't find out until I had returned home a 25 mile trip one way.  So I had to put one back in the pick-up and take it back to have it remounted in the correct direction.

The price of $200.00 each is still a lot of money but it doesn't sound unreasonable based on previous prices or at least what I paid.  As far as another tire size that is determined by the rim size so you are limited by that, there may be another width that is less expensive.  Good luck.

Randy

Randy
Randy

Weekend_Sawyer

$200 sounds about right but they last forever! I have a real nice 52' 8n that the owner had just put new tires on before selling it to me. I really like this tractor, use it for all my plowing, mowing and bushogging and I'm a FARMALL MAN!!!

Try and find a tractro salvage yard near you they usually have a bunch of used tires for cheep.
Also, take a good hard look at your rims around the valve stems, are they rusting through? If they arent too bad they can be repaired, just cut out the bad part, get a donor rim, cut out a patch and weld inplace of bad spot. works real well and MUCH cheeper than a new rim.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

brdmkr

I can't remember exactly what they cost, but you may want to do an ebay search on tractor tires.  There is a company called Tucker Tires in Dyersburg TN that has free shipping and pretty good prices.  I have not used them, so I can't say anything about their service (They don't have what I need).  I remember seeing a bunch of 8n references.  He also seems to specialize in selling tires on rims.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

David B

Ironwood

Can't beat an N for cheap tractor and LOADS of parts, convert to 12 Volt, put the new double seal rear axle seals on and drive her for another 50 years. Henry is smiling down on us(Fergie too) Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Weekend_Sawyer

Only thing is they are so light in the front end. When I pull something with this tractor I leave my back blade on to act like a wheele bar. OWW had a good idea about loading the front tires with winshield washer fluid. gonna give that a try.

Jon

chet

Dave,
Yur tractor came originally with 10x28 rears, 11.2x28 is the normal size that is now used. Some folks use all the way up to 13.6x28.
A couple of years ago I switched to the windshield washer fluid for loading. At that time I even loaded the fronts, great improvement.  :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

David B

Mine has a scoop on the front...not much problem with lack of weight.  8) Will bust yer knuckles with the steering wheel when you hit a bump with one front tire tho...gonna put a steering stabilizer on it.

thecfarm

I would look around at differant dealers.I needed a 8 ply tire for my New Holland and there is a price differance.In fact the best price I found was at the New Holland dealer.I hope you're going to get them loaded?I still have my father's 1954 Ford NAA. A little bit bigger than yours.My father traded a 8N for a NAA. Like them old Fords.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

Just loaded a couple round bales with our 8N tonight.  Handy tractor but hard steering with the loader on the front.  Check around for tire prices.  That size isn't rare at all.  Not only Fords used that size but so did some ACs, Fergusons and others.

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

David B

Wow, nice...how's that hoe work? Homebuilt?

Corley5

It's a factory Sherman backhoe that the tractor came equipped with.  There's no grey paint under the yellow on the tractor.  The hoe works great. 8) 8)  It's no 580 Case ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Weekend_Sawyer

I learned how to run a backhoe/frontend loader with a very similar rig. Had the hydraulic pump sticking out of the grill, shaft driven off the crank. Wish I had that now...

Jon

thurlow

If you're "into" the old Fords, you'll love this place........  http://www.ytmag.com/nboard/wwwboard1.html
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Weekend_Sawyer

ooh yea, I have gleened a LOT of information from those bords, Farmall, John Deere and Ford.
I am an equal tractor user!

Jon

David B

"Jack of all trades, master of fun" - Weekend Sawyer

I love that!

Thank You Sponsors!