iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drilling jig

Started by Qweaver, June 01, 2006, 10:37:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

Hi All,
Is there an economical clamp on drill press or jig available for drilling straight/plumb holes in timbers?  A magnetic drill would work but they are very expensive.  I only have 24 1.5" holes to drill and I can't justify spending hundreds of dollars just to make those few holes.

Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

FrankLad

What size holes are you wanting to drill?

We are really liking the drilling jig used for Timberlinx installation.  It does a little more than what you want, since it not only has to keep the drill perpindicular but it also ensures the pipe and pin holes meet.  It was $215, which I think is a really good price considering what it does.

I imagine you can do something similar with some brass bushings sized to your drill bit, mounted in a metal plate to keep the bushing (and thus, the drill bit) perpindicular against the board.

Raphael

Timberwolf carries drill guides in a variety of sizes and configurations, made by ProTool I believe.  Sizes are diameter ranges in mm.  These appear to be well made but aren't a cheap solution either.
  I recall thinking with luck and patience I could get a working boring machine with bit on eBay for less.  Jim may be short on 1.5" bits at the moment but he can set you up with a decent machine that's fun to use, displays well when you are done and can only appreciate in value as it's already a collectible.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Jim_Rogers

You can make one of these yourself for your bit and brace:

If you don't want to make one, get two plastic speed squares and joint each one to one side of a piece of angle iron and it will do the same thing.

A boring machine will hold the bit at 90° in two planes and is easy to use and doesn't require electricity at the site....

We have machines for sale starting at $170 (plus shipping) and with a good $30 bit you're good to go.

Look at my gallery for pictures of machines and bits.....

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jim_Rogers

Here is a drawing should someone want to create their own, bit guide jig:

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!