iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stick Bug

Started by Mooseherder, July 28, 2006, 06:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

This little feller has been hanging out on da porch to get outa the sun I guess. smiley_sun

TeaW

Now I,am not sure but I thought a stick bug looked like a stick . That fellar look's like some form of praying mantis to me,
TeaW
TeaW

beenthere

'Walking stick' would be what I'd call it.

Walking stick photo

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Either way, I think those are cool. Don't hurt him.  Never see any around here. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jon12345

I've seen maybe 2, and they were pretty ugly.  Prayin mantis' are pretty uncommon around here too, see maybe 1 a summer maybe none this year so far though.
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

joelmar10

definitely a praying mantis...
I used to think I could fix DanG near anything...now I know I can...or I think I can...or maybe I can?

woodbowl

Mooseherder, that's what we call an eye spitter around here. They're different from a praying mantis. The abdomin is more slinder and the claws are smaller. Be carefull, I hear they can spit a far distance and it is painfull. I've never heard of any victums. Always wondered if it was folklor.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Jeff

definitely NOT a praying mantis.  ;) :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodbowl

I've heard some of the old timers call em' walking sticks.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

beenthere

Take a look at these sites to decide which it is.

Praying Mantis pic

Walking Stick pic

Seem to be subtle but definite differences between the two.

I'll stick with Walking StickĀ  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

I'm pretty sure that is what's called a Walking Stick.  And, yes they will spit in your eye if you threaten them.  I don't know how far they can spit, but one got  me from a couple of feet, once.  It was painful, too, but no worse than getting battery acid in your eye. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

Serve ya right for threatening the little bugger. ;D Ants will squirt some acid at ya too, but I never heard of anyone hurt too serious. ;) If it ain't the heat, it's the bugs.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

asy

It's a Phasmid.

AKA: A stick insect.

They are COOL!!!

We used to have them as pets when the kids were little. Great fun. Also good to teach the kids to be gentle with animals.

We have lots of wild ones around here.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Mooseherder

Walking Stick it is.
Had no idea they could spit!  That long tubed body probably acts like a spitball coming out of a straw.
He has been on the porch for a couple days now.  Wonder what they eat?

Ianab

QuoteWonder what they eat?

The local ones are rather partial to rose bushes   >:(

How big is that one? We have several species here, grow up to about 6" long, a couple of them will make a dent in ya rose garden. I've seen some tropical ones about a foot long though.  :o We also have a big green/black spikey one that looks pretty intimidating, but they are harmless leaf eaters.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Mooseherder

Ian,  I'd say less than 3 inches long.

Dale Hatfield

I brush hogged a field for a fellow  about 10 years ago. Grass and weeds about 4 foot tall. their must have been 20 million Praying Mantis in that field. they would lite on me the tractor and always   a swarm out front of me. never seen anything like it . prolly never will again.
But I have seen a living room full of them.    Crazy old nature loving lady  that lived few doors down road from us as kids. Picked some  wild flowers and weeds to hang in her living room to dry and display. well their was a   egg sack on one of them flower bunches and they hatched in the house. She called mom in a panic  said send the boy down here to catch all these bugs..  She was sitting  on the poarch buot half in tears as i  got their with my bug net in tow.  Told me to go in their in get em. didnt care how just get them out. What a blast i had catching bugs in the house.

Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

joelmar10

Look at this....

Florida style praying mantis

Walking sticks don't have big eyes.

What you have is a Thesprotia graminis also called a walking stick mantis.   :P

See, everybody is right!  ;) :)
I used to think I could fix DanG near anything...now I know I can...or I think I can...or maybe I can?

Quartlow

its a BUG!!!  :D  :D  :D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Thank You Sponsors!