iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Galvanized concrete decking as ROOFING

Started by Ironwood, June 25, 2008, 10:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

I just got done reassembling some outdoor pallet racking and the original roof is galvanized concrete decking. The primary advantage is durability and lack of need for ANY roofing substrate, meaning you can span this stuff for 4 feet or more no problem. This helps for the need to ever disassemble or move the racking (by large forklift if ever needed). I will get some pictures, but has anyone else ever seen this or used it? The savings in labor and material also is worth the extra cost of the "heavy stuff". I am in the process of welding up a movable roof structure for my sawmill utilizing this stuff. The overall roof will be single pitch 15' x 25, with bar joists and built in fork pockets for moving. The end supports will be I-beam weldments, four columns on each end and will be attached with two large bolts. The method of "hold down" will be ratchet straps to two 8000lb concrete block (also moveable) on each end. What do you think folks?

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

isawlogs

Yes , we built a few machinery sheds with the very same list of materials .  :D Other then the hold downs , we made them permanent .
I worked as an ironworker for quite a while ,  put too many of those packs of joice and tin up  but a lot of times there where some left overs and I had just the place for them .  ;D
  Those decking can span a long ways , some are also not galvinised and do rust some , being so thick though never bothered me none , some of those sheds have been up now for over 20 years and are still water proof . They hold up good to snow loads too  :)

my thought  Go for it .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ironwood

Isaw,

Thanks, yes, I too saw the painted versions. I will stick w/ the galvanized as I am buying it. I want to make a few other "modules" using some heavy steel pallets and this roofing material. The first module will be a blacksmithing unit (400lb anvil, gas forge, coal forge and all the tools on a spinning rack). The steel pallet is 4' x 9', and I will ceate enough of an overhang to be able to work in the rain. I have a smallish shop, so modules make sense at this point. Additionally, some days I am a woodworker, others a blacksmith, I also have some BIG snaders, planers and such that I just grab with the big forklift and carry them down to the shop and use as needed, then just cart them back to storage until needed again.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

smoothED

I put down acres of it. I'm a union ironworker. I brang home a bunch of drops and built a 8x24 chicken coop and a 20x20 pole shed.I'ts great stuff, but if you weld through it to attach it(puddle weld) ya have to seal the weld.Sometimes the galvo gets thin in some places and rusts. I just put kool-seal over it.

isawlogs

Hey smoothEd , what local you out of , I was out of 711 Montreal . How long you been doing iron . ???
    If you are to weld them , best advice I could give you is to get a hold of a bunch of 1/2 " washers , a five foot bar . Put the washer on the deck over the joice . give it a wack with the bar and weld it there , fill the washer with the puddle , not many will need any caulking .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

smoothED

402 west palm beach, about 14 years. Weld washers would be better wind resistance,but they'll still leak. Plus ya burn the galvo off. I got self tapping screws that go through 1\4" iron,they aint cheap. Don't forget to reverse your leads(less penetration)

Ironwood

Thank You Sponsors!