Previous topic - Next topic

dgdrls

Couple stone monuments here in my neck of the woods,
The lands were defined as Farm Lots.
The stone with the 98 in on the North Line of Farm Lot 98,
The second stone I'm unsure of but I believe it marks
a smaller division within Lot 98

Old saw fixer

Neat history there!   I don't poke to deep around my place, since it was a plantation in antebellum times.  Not sure what may turn up!
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Roxie

These are about three miles from my home. The Mason Dixon Line. 

Say when

SwampDonkey

I can go here and get or provincial monument map. When clicked on (red triangles) it gives the details. I believe the province has abandoned these since GPS came along.  I have one near home that has a metal post and sign by it. They are low to the ground, not pillars. However, they are maintained on the US/Canada boundary and have treaties marked on them. A number of border disputes in the past, so there are different treaties marked for different sections of boundary.

Map

SNB - NB Survey Control Network

Monument near home

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Will.K

Quote from: Old saw fixer on March 27, 2021, 11:15:54 PM
    Neat history there!   I don't poke to deep around my place, since it was a plantation in antebellum times.  Not sure what may turn up!
????? What are you afraid of finding?

dgdrls

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 28, 2021, 06:05:35 AM
I can go here and get or provincial monument map. When clicked on (red triangles) it gives the details. I believe the province has abandoned these since GPS came along.  I have one near home that has a metal post and sign by it. They are low to the ground, not pillars. However, they are maintained on the US/Canada boundary and have treaties marked on them. A number of border disputes in the past, so there are different treaties marked for different sections of boundary.

Map

Monument near home

SNB - NB Survey Control NetworkLots of great in fo 
Very cool,  I like how the points are presented with a photo and tie sheet,
In the States the equivalent is the USGS/  Some Counties here in N.Y. maintain their own control systems
based on the USGS points

National Geodetic Survey - Survey Marks and Datasheets

D

moodnacreek

Around here it's little concrete pointed top monuments for state or county corners. They disappear all the time. Quick, line surveys get done wrong all the time. People ruin everything.

DonW

Quote from: dgdrls on March 27, 2021, 09:16:26 PM

Those are very cool. Do they serve any function now or are they just relics?
Hjartum yxa, nothing less than breitbeil/bandhacke combo.

dgdrls

Quote from: DonW on March 28, 2021, 12:38:00 PM
Quote from: dgdrls on March 27, 2021, 09:16:26 PM

Those are very cool. Do they serve any function now or are they just relics?
They are relics you hope to find as a surveyor.   Even better when you can find them AND a reference for them
in the property title or are shown on old maps.

D

dgdrls

Quote from: moodnacreek on March 28, 2021, 10:02:22 AM
Around here it's little concrete pointed top monuments for state or county corners. They disappear all the time. Quick, line surveys get done wrong all the time. People ruin everything.
Moodna,
with all the rock and stone walls down there,  you can find a ton of chiseled "x" and "L" cuts on property lines and often on the sidewalks.

When I was working the Hudson Valley I found a Locust stake buried in a stonewall that was from a 65 year old deed.

D

moodnacreek

Quote from: dgdrls on March 28, 2021, 02:41:48 PM
Quote from: moodnacreek on March 28, 2021, 10:02:22 AM
Moodna,
with all the rock and stone walls down there,  you can find a ton of chiseled "x" and "L" cuts on property lines and often on the sidewalks.

When I was working the Hudson Valley I found a Locust stake buried in a stonewall that was from a 65 year old deed.

D
I haven't seen those. Could be because I am on the poor side of the river. Bet you have heard about the West Point boundaries. The corners where all cannon barrels, all taken now as far as I know and that's a good thing in one way because I would be so tempted.

Old saw fixer

Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510

SunnyHillFarm

I have lost a picture of a the stone monument set 6 miles north of the Pennsylvania border along the transit line ran in 1798&1799 by Joseph Elliott. It was on a hike into Allegany State Park. We uncovered it in the duff after using GPS to get an approximate location. This was part of the Holland Land Company's survey.

Tom King

One unusual one is the rock in the Chattooga River, that marks the tri-point intersection of Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina.  I've hiked the whole trail, in two different backpacking trips, and did find the rock.  This is the river from the movie Deliverance.

I have pictures somewhere, but can find it easier in this link, towards the end of the second page.

Ellicott Rock - SC/GA/NC Tri-Point (1-6-15) - dwhike

btulloh

Quote from: Old saw fixer on March 28, 2021, 08:02:59 PM
    Old bones.
:D :D :D :D  I think you've been watching too many movies or tv shows.  :)
Old bones not likely. But you might be missing some buried treasure or at least some interesting interesting relics. 
HM126

firefighter ontheside

Neat history dgdrls.  I used to do canoe trips in the BWCA and Quetico Park.  There is a portage called Monument Portage that goes from Swamp Lake into Ottertrack Lake.  The trail follows the US Canada border and has numerous stone monuments marking the border.  I can't find any pics right now.  That was before the days of digital cameras.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Will.K

Quote from: Old saw fixer on March 28, 2021, 08:02:59 PM
    Old bones.
I might be missing a joke here I reckon. You aren't scared of old bones are you? 

Tacotodd

Or do OLD BONES just bring up bad memories, or do they make you think of something else that might have happened? Yeah, I'm very curious about that remark myself.?!

say_what
Trying harder everyday.

Old saw fixer

I'm not scared of bones, ghosts or anything else.  As I said, where I live was a plantation in pre War of Northern Aggression times. The old house was built in 1784.
Slaves lived on plantations, and died there.  Most times they were buried on the plantation in a simple grave with a wooden marker in the slave burying ground.  There are ramifications for disturbing old bones.  I'd as soon leave them in peace. 
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

dgdrls

Quote from: SunnyHillFarm on March 29, 2021, 02:02:14 PM
I have lost a picture of a the stone monument set 6 miles north of the Pennsylvania border along the transit line ran in 1798&1799 by Joseph Elliott. It was on a hike into Allegany State Park. We uncovered it in the duff after using GPS to get an approximate location. This was part of the Holland Land Company's survey.
I know that stone, 
D

Thank You Sponsors!