iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Assembling my timberframe this weekend( more like over the next few years)

Started by mmhailey, September 29, 2011, 02:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmhailey

It has been a very busy April for me. The roofers finished the metal roof on the cabin, and I have been working hard on getting the foam and strapping up for dry in.

Here is a pic of the metal going up on the roof:

Here is a pic of the foam sheets going up: The detailing is a slow. I am glad I am not paying myself by the hour :D

On rainy days I was cutting a porch, that I now have on the front. Jim helped me a bit with the design. Thanks Jim. I think it worked out ok, keeping the ridge down below the windows. The pitch on the porch ended up be a 4:12.

I now am going to put in the front windows and door. I was a bit timid to do that with the erection of the porch frame.  I used a construction forklift, and I didn't want an errant beam to take out a window. I'll have it dried in tomorrow, and then it's back to roofing the porch.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and turn him into a liar.

mmhailey

I'm hesitant to continue to upload photos, since this is such an amateur undertaking, but since I received such inspiration and assistance from the forum I think I owe it to you folks to show what your help has made possible.

This is the porch I added. I used some Stainless steel cable infill for the porch railing I built. I didn't want to block the view when sitting inside the cabin. 

Over the last month, between fishing, crabbing, shrimping, and raining, I managed to get the cabin completely dried in, and the siding started. I got the siding from a local mill, and it is amazing. Beautiful color, and grain. I picked through, and kept aside about 10% clear, that I'll use for trim inside the cabin.

This is with one coat of Sikkens Cetol SRD

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and turn him into a liar.

grweldon

My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

mmhailey

I have been so busy I haven't been  very good about posting pictures. I just now added several to my Gallery.

www.forestryforum.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1991&page=3

I have been dried in for a few months now. Electrical and plumbing rough in held me up for a couple of months waiting on the guys to finish their fishing season. Here everything, and I do mean everything, takes a back seat to fishing,  8)

I have the drywall up and the trim out started. Pushing the drywall behind the posts and beams was not that much trouble. Thanks Jim for telling me to leave 3/4" space for the 1/2" drywall.  ;)

Here is a gable wall with the windows and the clear hemlock v-groove. I found this at one of our local mills.  It's great to live in the Tongass National Forest...  ;D I can afford this here. I am guessing I could not, after it got shipped to the lower 48.

I'll try and keep my gallery up to date. If anyone has suggestions or questions on finishing out the timber frame I would love to hear from you.

Thank You Sponsors!