I'll start us off...Here's mine made from:

A piece of LVL

2 old steel wheels

2 swivel caster wheels

3/4 in. Steel rod

Washers, pins, etc.

For reference, this a 10x12x12ft EWP sill beam

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Ljohnsaw

Very nice - but your casters look a might bit small  :D

But seriously, what is the purpose of the casters?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Rooster

Good Question...The casters keep the front (or back) of the deck from digging into the ground as I move the cart when it is empty, and it also helps keep the deck of the cart closer to the horizontal position prior to loading long and heavy beams.

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

Rooster

Jim_Rogers

I was just about to post some pictures of my timber cart last night when the phone rang. I was waiting for a call to go out and plow snow for the town.

One Boston TV station forecast was 6-8" of snow for my area. Another one forecast 4-7" for my area. I think we got three inches or less. It was raining here last night for a least an hour or more, after it had snowed an inch or so.

I did get in the minimum 4 hours cleaning up the streets I plow.

But anyway, as I said I was about to post some pictures of my timber cart and a timber cart a customer of mine made after seeing mine.

Here is mine:

I made it out of two wheel barrow tires and a piece of threaded rod, some nuts and washers.
The rest was wood I had here at the mill.

I wasn't real happy with it and it didn't work completely like I wanted it to work. But it did work for me.

Here it is with an 8x8x16 timber on it:

And here is a shot of it as I was pushing the timber down the driveway:

The problem with mine was it was very tippy. I didn't space the wheels out far enough.

I added the 4' long planks on edge to make it higher so it would be easy to load and unload. The also worked as outriggers to prevent it from tipping very far over.

I had to use it on one job someplace some time ago, that's why I made it and it worked for that job there and then. I don't believe I ever used it again.

After my customer saw mine he made up this one for himself:

His was much more stable, I mean less tippy. He also cut the bevel on then ends of the front to back side pieces which made it sit nice when not loaded. And it was easier to move empty this way.

One day, I had to deliver a long timber to his yard for his timber frame project and I couldn't get the trailer backed around correctly to off load it. He told me to just "stop where you are"....

I said: "but we're way far away from where you need it to be....?" He wheeled out his timber cart. We off loaded this long and heavy timber onto his cart. And with one hand it rolled it right up to his workstation, with great ease.

I was very impressed.

I do recall now, as I'm writing this, about the time I had to use my cart on a job to move an entire shed frame from the driveway to the back yard of the customer's site as I couldn't get the trailer back there to unload.

And that I had to go around the fence for the pool and the ground wasn't level there. The first time I did that with my tippy timber cart the timber slide off one side, down hill. After reloading it, I used a ratchet strap to secure it to the timber cart so that wouldn't happen again. Securing it with a ratchet strap worked for me.

I have seen some other carts that have removable handles. These handles are used to move the cart when it is empty. This is so you can walk upright, back to the stack to get the next piece to move.

Having a low cart makes it somewhat easier to load and unload. But it makes it a bit difficult to move empty as you have to bend over to hold onto it while you're moving it empty. With removable handle it makes it much easier. The reason you want the handle removable is so that you can load or unload from either side or end, wherever the cart is.

I hope these pictures and stories have helped you some.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

thecfarm

Tractor Supply has pneumatic tires on sale quite often. I'm surprised with all the beam work you do Jim you did not build another one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jim_Rogers

I still have the old one, out back behind a lumber pile.
I would suppose that the wood is junk by now. And I'm not sure of the condition of the tires and rims.

I could try and find it and rebuild it with something like my customer's design, should I need it again.

I think that I know one person who could use one. Maybe I'll find it and take a good hard look at it and see if I can rebuilt it and sell it to her. She is always trying to move something long and heavy from the driveway to the back yard of her customer's sites.

Jim Rogers

Brad_bb

There seems to be a problem with all timber carts though, you have to hunch over to push them.  The lower they are, the worse it is for the back.  But it's better to have the timber closer to the ground for stability.  I know you're taller than me Rooster, but that cart looks low.  I guess anything that allows you to move timbers by yourself is good.  I just think we need to invent one of those loaders from the Aliens movie:
http://youtu.be/FSrcMaid0mg
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Rooster

I do have a handle from an old post-hole digger (not pictured above), that I can slide into a pocket and use it to steer the cart around when it is empty.  I also like to choke a short length of webbing/strap to one end of the beam that I am moving, and use it as a handle or tether to push/ pull the beam and cart
Quote from: Brad_bb on December 30, 2012, 03:00:09 PM
I just think we need to invent one of those loaders from the Aliens movie:

I have been working on a design for a human powered forklift for moving beams...it's just not ready for "Prime-time, timber-time" .

Rooster
Mike Rowe

Rooster

Brian_Weekley

Rooster, I was trying to figure out how the axel is housed or attached to your cart.  Almost looks like it's just sandwiched between wood?
e aho laula

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi Brian,

oz_smiley You've turned into a cat for the holidays, it caught me off guard.  I'll stop telling stories and being long winded, you got me. whiteflag_smiley Or at least I'll try.   ;)
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Rooster

Quote from: Brian_Weekley on December 30, 2012, 06:07:37 PM
Rooster, I was trying to figure out how the axle is housed or attached to your cart.  Almost looks like it's just sandwiched between wood?

BW,

You are right!...again! ( I can't get anything passed this guy!)

I have 2 - 1x6 boards screwed perpendicular to the LVL deck, with a 3/4" gap between them that acts like a dado for the 3/4" axle, and then I used a 2x6 screwed to the 1xs that traps the axle within the dado.  Since the photo was taken, I have replaced the 2x6 with 2 pieces of flat stock steel, to help make the deck lighter.  The pins on the ends of the axles can be pulled and the cart can be disassembled for easier loading into a work vehicle.

Rooster

P.S. 
Jay,
Don't change what you are doing!!  ;)
It's enthusiastic framers like you that draw more new guys to the conversation...besides BW and I are tired of laughing at our own jokes. 
We appreciate you, brother!!!  ;D
Mike Rowe

Rooster

Brian_Weekley

Quote from: Rooster on December 30, 2012, 06:40:56 PM
P.S. 
Jay,
Don't change what you are doing!!  ;)
It's enthusiastic framers like you that draw more new guys to the conversation...besides BW and I are tired of laughing at our own jokes. 
We appreciate you, brother!!!  ;D

I second that.  Please excuse my warped sense of humor.   ;D
e aho laula

danreed76

I'll have to post some pictures when I get home and back to all my toys er, eh, um... tools, but I ended up using a carpet dolly for a timber cart.  Mostly, though, I use this (guess it doesn't really count, but the forks are home made).
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/26855/2012-10-15_18-07-19_3245B15D.jpg

I don't remember what I paid for the carpet dolly, but I've seen a few varieties around at tool sales and such.  Nice thing is it's light enough to pick up and put in the shed or in the back of the truck.

-Dan
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

Morewood

This is what I built to move beams in and out of the shop.

A one ft strap with chains so you can adjust center and lift height, then use a strap on the handle end. these are heavy duty wheels from northern tool Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company

Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's position on this company

3/4 bore x 4"wide hub . Spokes are about 3/16 dia . I had to put the heavy duty tubes with "slime" in them after the original tubes blew-out. Also added a "strong-back rod" with a turnbuckle to prevent bending of the rectangle tubing
2008 Cooks AC3651 perkins diesel , JD 310C w/forks and thumb , International 8000 Dump truck , 16 ton trailer , and all the accessories .

losttheplot

I used to use this.

Now I use my log arch with a webbing strap.

I just wish I had made it big enough to fit over the mill  :(

Jay,
Don't try to change your personality because of a little pith taking.
I enjoy reading your posts. Keep up the good work.
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi Rooster, (et al),

I'm not quite sure how I made that entry here, I was trying to "joust," with Brian on another thread and got, "lost and confused."  No worries, once I figure out Brian had turned into a "cat," for the holidays all was good in my world, and I had a good laugh.  Rooster, as soon as my camera unfreezes, I'll post our beam cart here, we have two, but the other is ...I'm not sure, it's our "big," one and can handle 1800 kg (several tons,) while the small one is good for, maybe 500 kg (1200 lb.)

Regards,

Jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

ziggy

Anyone know where to get a decent pair of wheels (preferably not pneumatic) for a timber cart? I always have my eyes peeled at the flea market, but to no avail. I'd love a pair of steel rims with a solid rubber tire.

(Saw one pair once, but they were in poor shape.)

danreed76

Ziggy:  you can often find "garden cart" wheels at just about any farm or industrial supply store.  The last ones I bought were steel spoked, 18" wheels with ball bearings bored for a 1" shaft.  I bought them at Northern, along with some 3/4" bushings to make them fit the cart I put them on.  they handle a heck of a lot of weight, and the solid tires are great on uneven terrain.  I'm thinking about putting them on the carpet dolly that I use for timbers for better mobility.

-Dan
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

beenthere

Ziggy
McMaster_Carr at mcmaster.com has a lot of variety of wheels.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Rogers

The last wheel barrow style tire I got was solid no air. I was so sick and tired of my wheel barrow tire going flat all the time.

I saw it some where, don't remember where, and got it. Best and last wheel barrow tire, I'll ever buy.

Whatever site, I got it from had a video there showing the tire at the factory parking lot. The guy took a sawzall to the tire and drilled holes in it and it still worked fine.

Jim Rogers

John S

Jack Sobon has plans for a timber cart.  I took his class at HSV three years ago but cannot locate the plans he gave us.  I have built two sets of his sawhorses, they are simple but great.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

PaAnkerbalken

I just use my little log arch, up to 16'. When I mind holes in the timber from the tongs, I slip a piece of old tire between tongs and timber. The rubber actually helps grab the timber as long as the rubber is still pretty soft and flexible.
logosol M7

Raphael

This is my original timber cart.

And this is the new one ;)
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Holmes

Raphael  :D :D :D   I like both carts but that new one is the way to go.
Think like a farmer.

canopy

So is anyone able to share plans? It would be great to get plans for a wooden one like Jack Sobon's or Jim's customer made for instance.

Brad_bb

Have a look at what Logrite has just done...they've come out with multi uses for their Arch Jr.  It can pick up heavy beams off the ground or cribbing with a sling so it doesn't mark up a good timber.  You can't normally load a beam that is in the 4-500lb range with a normal timber cart, but no problem with this one.  And what's better is that they've got attachment parts that allow you to use the Arch to move other stuff using a chain, or tow a trailer by hand with a ball hitch attchement.  Much more than a one use tool...  check it out!  They also make an extension for the handle.

And here's a post with more info
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,63040.0.html
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Rooster

Here's my timber arch:

It's made from a choppped up rear beam off of a VW Rabbit, with VW donut spare tires, a peice of I-beam that was holding up a lean-to shed roof, some scrap angle-iron, and a nylon strap....oh, I forgot to mention the recovery hook!!!!

This is the process of moving two hewn floor joists.

Here I am moving a single 8x8x16ft treated beam.

It's nowhere near as pretty or as light as the Logrite Junior, but my son helped me make it...

Rooster
Mike Rowe

Rooster

Ljohnsaw

Rooster,
Just paint it blue and no one will know the difference... :D
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

danreed76

This is the carpet dolly I mentioned a while back.  It's relatively stable, and easy to take with.

canopy

I see two basic styles emerging in all the photos. A type where you load a timber on top of the cart and a second type that the cart straddles over the timber. Having never used either, the latter just appears far superior. Instead of lifting and maneuvering a heavy timber onto a tippy cart, you instead just position the cart over the timber. Good to see all the pictures, will definitely help with my design.

Rob Bocik

Quote from: Brad_bb on December 30, 2012, 03:00:09 PM
There seems to be a problem with all timber carts though, you have to hunch over to push them.  The lower they are, the worse it is for the back.  But it's better to have the timber closer to the ground for stability.  I know you're taller than me Rooster, but that cart looks low.  I guess anything that allows you to move timbers by yourself is good.  I just think we need to invent one of those loaders from the Aliens movie:
http://youtu.be/FSrcMaid0mg
"they" have. It was in TED. currently undergoing military testing.

Ljohnsaw

I answered a posting for some free redwood logs in a back yard.  Already down and cut to about 9'.  So that motivated me to make this "Log arch".  Worked well enough and I think I'll keep it around for moving timbers.  The biggest log was 17" inside the bark at the butt end and cleared the ground with about an inch to spare.  Held together with just 4 bolts.  I spent most of the time taking all the extra parts off the frames.  Not bad for a morning's work.

I slung the logs from the 1-1/4" pipe and that allowed me to steer it when pulling.  So my son (almost 9) see the two remaining wheels and say I should make a trailer for the log!
John Sawicky

beenthere

How about one or two showing a log slung in it? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

swampfox

33oneill

I got this on sale at Cabela's for $35. It's now ~$80. It worked well but the timbers would slide off the side if I pushed it over any ground rougher than my driveway so I tacked on some 1/8 rod on each end to keep them from slipping and it works much better.

I see some pretty big timbers on some other peoples carts but this works well for the 6x6 and 8x8 softwood I'm working with. A green 18' hemlock 8x8 is really pushing the limits of the cart.. The pics show a 12' EWP 6x6 on the cart.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/After-the-Shot/Game-Carts-Carriers%7C/pc/104791680/c/104689980/sc/104353380/Primal-Vantage-Steel-Deer-Cart/847365.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FN%3D1100183%26WTz_l%3DSBC%253BBRprd847365&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd847365%3Bcat104353380

beenthere

Before it folds up on itself from the weight, maybe put some straps across the top bars that you tacked the rod to, to hold the ends supports in tension. Looks like the side bars that the two braces are bolted to are the real weak points.
A game animal just doesn't weigh what your timbers weigh, but looks like a handy cart for the job.
south central Wisconsin

33oneill

Yea it's a toy - but it's a little sturdier than it looks and is at a convenient height to pivot beams off my pile. As I said  it works for what I use it for, but with some straps I'd feel better with the long hemlock. Thanks for that, beenther, That's a great idea. Don't know why I didn't think of that..

tgalbraith

I was reading a post the other day about a cart on man had made to move heavy cants.  I took some pictures of mine and now can't find the original posting.
Actually, I use mine mostly to get the back end of the log off the ground, while hauling them with my arch. I decided to field test it before I painted it, but worked real good getting a 116 year old pine out of my swamp.
I lift the small end of the log with my home-make timber jack placed about 3' from the end. Then I slide the cart under and
secure it with a ratchet strap.  Then the front end is lifted with the winch on the log arch.
The old pine that blew over produced 1 8' butt log (32" on the stump) and 4  10' logs before I got to the limbs.
The log you see on the arch is the top one, 11.5" on the small end.

M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

Macgyver

Tgalbraith,
I think you were looking in the Timber Framing/ Log construction forum.  There's a recent topic to the effect of "Show us your timber/beam cart".
Smile! It confuses people

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

rmawhinney

Hey guys I just got some new tools from Jim and they came in last week. These were my first non homedepot chisels. So my first project was a cart. There wasn't a lot of design thought just used some scraps I had around. This is my first project with a chisel man was it fun.

Anyone looking for tools talk to Jim the tools I got are amazing at a great price and he and Tom are excellent to deal with I will be going through them again I am sure. I HIGHLY recommend looking through his list of tools for sale. Thanks Jim!

Ross

Jim_Rogers

Thanks for your kind words, and good luck with your projects.

Jim Rogers

Leonardsean

I was wondering if you had any more details on the construction of this beam caddy. I would like to build one, the picture doesn't quite show the size of the members underneath.

I will be building a timber retaining wall (to replace a dry-stacked stone one that failed) this Spring. I designed it and purchased the lumber (6x6's, pressure treated), and think the caddy will be a godsend to move these beams from my garage to the work area.

Any info would be appreciated.

--Sean

Jim_Rogers

I emailed my customer and so far, he has only sent me the top view drawing.

He has promised me more photos but that's all I've got so far.
Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

My customer just sent me four more pictures of his timber cart:

The look like 2x8s for the side pieces that the wheelbarrow tire axle goes to. And then some 2x6 on top of the center ones. The end pieces must be 2x12s or larger. I remember delivering a timber to him on my trailer. And he walked this out to where I was parked, and we slide the timber onto it. He had a handle that slipped into it somewhere to make it so you could move it without bending over to hold it level.
I don't see the bracket for the handle in the pictures, but it is there somewhere.

Jim Rogers

Leonardsean

Thank you for the quick response and the time it took to take additional pictures, you guys are the best. --Sean

CJ

I constructed this with steel racking I had from when I worked at Bell. It was left over from a job and it was just going to scrap, so I kept as much as I could take and store away. When it came time for me to build my timber frame, I fabricated this out of my own design. It's 15" wide by 26" long and the bearing wheels are 16"H X 5"W which will handle a total weight of 1000 lbs. This thing is ideal and rolls smoothly, regardless of the terrain. I moved beams 24' in length without any effort. A really quality unit.

everythingwood

Here is mine. Don't laugh. It's the first thing I've welded since high school! It has 12"'tires.  With the cart and crane I can handle all the big timber's by myself. 

rusticretreater

Nobody will laugh at that.  Good job!
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

venice

kantuckid

I see several potential ideas here but thread renewal prospecting for more ideas.
I will need a beam/log cart to move my EWP "D"-logs (~6 x 7 or 8") across my subfloor to the tractor inaccessible, back side of my build site. I don't need to move wall logs outdoors on the ground as the back side is too rough to allow even my 4xd tractor to move these, which it does well otherwise.  
I'll be moving my wall logs up to a fairly remote deep woods site on a hay wagon I built a new top onto, having 3 ratchet strap anchor points on each side of the top. I placed heavy "D"-rings which allow toting materials lengthwise through the woods and up a steep 4xd road behind a tractor. I also have FEL forks and fork extensions to assist with raising logs using slings.
Inside is where I'll need to get them across the 16x20 cabin subfloor. As much as possible I'll raise the logs from the easy side and slide along built walls.
The Jim_Rogers buddies cart intrigues me the most so far. I don't want some long, heavy or cumbersome. As we speak, my brain is thinking a cart even lighter than that one. I can see it serving my purpose made from smaller wood than as shown, so I took some pics of that one to play with.
Cost wise for wheels, those inflatable ones on my HF two-wheeler would easily carry the weight of one of my D-logs on a wood subfloor where it's smooth. Since my build is a onesie, I might "borrow" those wheels for a log cart?
A companion thread here suggests a kayak/cane cart might work. I have one now but not looked at it lately, maybe I'll adapt mine? I bought it when I got our Saturn, inflatable "Kaboat" a few years ago. 
Thanks for looking!

P.S.-sawing D-logs from larger logs is a true PITA! ;D Smaller logs, to get either one or two wall logs- not at all.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

jake pogg

The photo above is how i ended up moving "D"-logs across the subfloor,And-most importantly-setting them in place also (otherwise you'd also need a lifting device).

I handled green 20-footers by myself with it (8" three-sided "logs",dang and blast the entire concept of attempting to turn a log into a brick,but i digress...).

My cart started as someone's gas-bottles dolly,a dump find. I added the square wooden structure,with a pair of casters at each end (which maybe makes the larger,motorcycle wheels redundant).
The reason it all looks so messy is that i had to extend it up every 2-3 courses,as i used it by setting first one end of the log on the wall,than the other,and see-sawing the log thusly you don't want to incline it too much(less it starts sliding uncontrollably).

Anyway,it worked.I handled all the logs by myself,and having to set them on unsecured glass insulation at that,so sliding wouldn't have worked.
Similar situation as you,K.,only one corner of the cabin accesseble by forklift,but a good solid subfloor (1 1/8" underlayment on 16" oc) to work with,easy rolling...
"You can teach a pig anything,it just takes time;but what's time to a pig?"
Mark Twain

kantuckid

Unlike my log home built in my 30's, this builds got to have more "boost" as I'm a far cry from the big ole boy I once was. I used the new on the market, "log home foam from Norton Sealants between the logs on my home, but had more of me, plus a man on a tractor with a scrap yard boom pole later in 2nd story, so on.
HF has a Garden cart that's cutesy but not IMO robust enough and neither is my KaBoat cart.
I have a 2-wheeler that can be used upright or down which I used for firewood when we still used our wood furnace in basement but onesset of wheels is small casters, likely too small for a wood sub-floor, plus not height gain as seen above in pics.
I'm going to research wheels this aft. and cool off. Also need a cheap pair of axles that's 1" to fit a 25mm Asian wheel based on quick look at wheels? 

kantuckid

Last night we watched Barnwood Builders put an old log cabin back together indoors using carpet roll carts and HF moving dollies to roll the logs into the building at the Townsend, TN Smoky Mountain Museum there. FWIW, that cabin was built by a locally well known frontier gunsmith named Sam Keller who built guns from scratch. 
The HF dollies worked best while pulling the log with a sling looped on one end like a dog collar and a leash. 
Thing is a carpet cart is pricey plus it only moves the log down low.
 I see a crude, but extendable height cart using 4 cheapo 10" HF wheels ($8.49) on 5/8" axles. 
Slide poles on a build wall using my rope pulley from a tree outside the wall is an easy enough way to raise a log once it's next to the inside of the wall. 

Leonardsean

I built myself a beam caddy over the winter based on photos and sketches listed on this thread and am using it with good results to build a timber retaining wall. I only have the first few courses done now, but it will eventually be 83 feet long and about 6 feet high at the high end (it's on an incline and level with the grade at the far end.

Had to draw up plans to make the angles come out flush to the ground given the wheels that I purchased.

I also made some changes such as doing lap joints in places to prevent the fasteners being in shear.

Finally I polyurethaned it to protect it.

When using it, I found that I could steer it/push it with the timber in place, but needed a detachable handle to bring it back while empty, so I used some black iron pipe and unscrew it at the fitting where the pole inserts into the 45 degree elbow.

Thought I would upload some pictures.

kantuckid

The closest cart to buy ready-made that I've seen is a carpet cart. FB marketplace has lots for sale and though high priced new, used they are around $50-75 used. One version has plastic pipe rollers used by turning a carry item sideways then into a door, etc..
 None are near me though, so I'll do w/o for now. They might not handle a huge beam but would do well with a smaller D-log such as my needs. 
Rolling surface I have to negotiate dictates large diameter wheels than the cart shown above. 
A wheelbarrow could work in certain situs by strapping the beam to the top. 

Thank You Sponsors!