iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna\Jonsered hybrid mutt

Started by celliott, April 06, 2014, 09:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celliott

Saws in question are a 2171 and a 371xp.
I know that essentially all the parts are the same\interchangeable.
What I'm wondering is, would there be any issues with mixing crankcases? Half 2171, half 371xp?
Both saws I got as parts saws, both were a bit smashed up. I thought I'd be able to build the 371, but once I looked closer, the front tank mount was broken off the case.
The 2171 had bad bearings, and the flywheel side case half is bad, PTO side good. The 371 is just the opposite- tank mount on the flywheel side is broken, PTO side good.
I'd get new bearings, seals, and gaskets.
My reason for doing this is mostly to see if I can do this type of repair myself without special tools. I know it will be one ugly saw  :D

So, is there anything fundamentally wrong with mixing these crankcase halves?
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

sawguy21

It might work, all you will have invested is time and a few gaskets. The crank halves are normally assembled and machined as a unit to ensure alignment.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

celliott

Quote from: sawguy21 on April 06, 2014, 10:29:22 PM
It might work, all you will have invested is time and a few gaskets. The crank halves are normally assembled and machined as a unit to ensure alignment.

Alright, there's a vote for "might work"  :D

Yeah, time and gaskets. It's not like I'll be trying to make a buck on it, more just to see if I can, practice a bottom end repair without serious consequences if it goes south.
My shop rate for myself is fairly cheap  ;D Gaskets aren't too bad either.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Weekend_Sawyer

Sounds interesting.
You know we will need pictures.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

shinnlinger

I would think the problem is the two halves are from different units as mentioned, but you really have nothing to loose so go for it.    You may need to grind and file some but I think it should be possible unless they were made at very different times in production and there was a significant case change which I don't think there was. 

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

7sleeper

As far as I understood only the grip angle was different, not the mounting spots. But if you already have them dismounted just hold them together. I cannot believe that Husqvarna/Jonsered would each have extra tooling for each line. Highly uneconomically and ergo highly unlikely!

=> GO FOR IT!!!

Cut4fun

I'd try it if it was a saw I was going to use for myself.

On the handle.  If you use a husky handle you have to use a husky tank. To run the jonsered handle you have to use the jred tank.

I had a 2171 crankcase with 371 tank, handle, covers.   ;)  Then bought all the 2171 stuff to make it a 2171 and then used the 371 stuff to build a 372 I just rebuilt the crankcase on.

celliott

Alright, I guess I really don't have much to lose trying it.
The 371 is a 1994, and the 2171 is a 2004 model. We'll see how they line up.
I have a jonsered fuel tank for it. 371 recoil. 2171 case is already split.
If this does work out, yeah, I won't be selling it, my personal use only  :D

I'll take some pictures for sure. Just wanted to make sure this could work, as we're spring cleaning the shop and two junk crankcases didn't really need to stay, but now they will!
This won't be a project that gets done right off though, I have some major planning on a big summer activity to do. Look for a thread in the outdoor activities board  ;)

Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

weimedog

It will work. Machining tolerances might interfere but with the same chances as if you bought one half vs. a set through normal channels.

Places you see differences on those saws is in the fuel tank/handle. The spacing between the bar mount screws for the handle are different on the side of that fuel tank. The other places are things like the pull starts / top covers etc.

Hope spike60 chimes in. I did a "ugly saw" video were I blended 2171, 372, and aftermarket parts. Certainly the ugliest saw on the planet!

Actually this video started out as a "gaff" video, but turned into something less funny and more useful. Also covers a bunch of 372/2171 365/2165 assembly tips, and a muffler mod concept, and some port timing number's showing what happened when you do a "no base gasket build". I forgot about the other stuff....need to break some out into smaller video's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipiz8k93jKI
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

shinnlinger

Wiem,

I liked your video!   How did the saw hold up?

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

weimedog

Thank you! Still going from what I know! One of those no news is good news deals..:) Wonder if I should have made it a thread, or at least broken out the muffler mod and no base gasket part..
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

celliott

Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

weimedog

SawTroll

Quote from: celliott on April 07, 2014, 04:46:37 PM
The 371 is a 1994, and the 2171 is a 2004 model. .....

Hardly 1994 - what's the serial number?
Information collector.

celliott

Quote from: SawTroll on April 10, 2014, 03:03:41 PM
Quote from: celliott on April 07, 2014, 04:46:37 PM
The 371 is a 1994, and the 2171 is a 2004 model. .....

Hardly 1994 - what's the serial number?
Yeah I messed that up, going off the top of my head. The 371 is a 1997, sound better?
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

celliott

Well I did it  ;D Took a little while, bit of a delay getting around to it, but once I ordered the bearings, seals, and gaskets it went rather quickly. Now I need another project saw!

We now have a Husqared 3171!
Built from all OEM parts I had laying around my shop, some Husqvarna, some Jonsered.

Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

celliott

Had to get creative to make the husky handlebar work on the Jonsered fuel tank
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

celliott

Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

celliott

It runs and cuts like a muffler modded 372 husky.
I'm happy with how it turned out. Now I know I can do a case split\bearings repair!
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Caloren

I especially like the bi-colored case.  8) Good job.  ;D
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

Maine logger88

Congrats on your new jonsevarna! I've made a few of those over the years lol mostly just plastic stuff tho
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

celliott

Quote from: Maine logger88 on December 19, 2014, 04:17:43 PM
Congrats on your new jonsevarna! I've made a few of those over the years lol mostly just plastic stuff tho

:D
Thanks!
Yeah I've seen plenty with mixed up plastics (red fuel tank+handlebar, or the top covers\starter cover)
But I can't say I've ever seen the mixed crankcase halves. Maybe because noone would want to post pictures of it once they did that  :D

Shiny saws don't cut much wood. Ugly saws, now they've cut their fair share of wood  :)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Maine logger88

Yeah I can't say as I have ever seen mixed cases before! Nothing wrong with a ugly saw as long as it runs good! Any new saw I get only stays that way for a day or two anyway lol. Now you just gotta put Stihl pull cord handle on it And have three brands lol 8)
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Swatson

I like it.  Nothing wrong with an ugly tool that works.  Reminds me of my dishwasher.  Ive had to get three in 16 years.  The one we have now is a Whir-ken-tag.  I took parts off the first and the third an put them on the second one we bought cause it was the only one that didnt leak at the door.  Been using it for three years now.  A repairman charges nearly half the price of a new unit anymore to fix anything. 

So kudos on a job well done.  It ought to make those environmental nut jobs out there happy...It is recycling at its finest.
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

JohnG28

Nice job there!  :D It is an ugly sob but long as it does the job.  8),
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Thank You Sponsors!