iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Testing something on the forum index

Started by Jeff, September 14, 2014, 10:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I'm trying to create an easier way to get around the forum. I don't want to waste a bunch of time making it pretty until I find out of people will like it. If it is not functional, or liked, and I'm going to guess there are going to be those that don't like change, I'll put things back. Until then, let me know what you think.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Jeff

Southside

Ok. I know I am slow with some of this,  but is the link the "new" idea?  Can't say I liked that format all that much, maybe its just that I finally know my way around the present one.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

DanG

My first impression is that I don't like it.  It is incompatible with my way of browsing the forum.  Now, if you could put the new index on here and still keep the entire forum on the index page, it would be an enhancement. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

mad murdock

It is definitely a quick nav. Hard to say if it is "better" or just "different". It isn't "bad " IMO. Will have to try it some more to give better feedback.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

beenthere

I like the change. The menu'd sections at the top are quicker than scrolling down the length of the "Home" page.

Only one thing stands out to me, and that is the "Behind the Forum" could just as well be the title for the "About this Forum" .

Selfish thought on my part, as I try to steer members having trouble with posts to the "Behind the Forum" for help. If "Behind the Forum" were the title, would be one less step.

But will/can live just fine with the changes as they make a neater "Home" page, IMO.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

I've turned it off for now while I give it more thought.

redprospector

Oh, thank you so much.
I tend to be resistant to change.  ;)
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

pigman

Now I know why I didn't see any change after looking for several minutes for the change. :-\ ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Tom L

Quote from: pigman on September 15, 2014, 08:25:47 AM
Now I know why I didn't see any change after looking for several minutes for the change. :-\ ;D

me too, I looked for a change, couldn't figure out what changed, now I know it did not change.

typical monday for me.

Skip

POSTON WIDEHEAD

It must be still turned off...tried the link and it looks the same to me.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

I'll try and hack the files again and leave it for a few hours so people can see what I was trying.  Give me about ten minutes to edit some files.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Personally I think its pretty cool. I don't have to scroll down to find categories that are now on the top.

Jeff

I'll leave it for tonight and get some input. Its ugly as sin, but it will take some work to pretty it up if we decide its worth keeping. I do like skipping to where I want to be, be on the other hand, it really screws with the way I am used to using the forum.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Its not ug-lee......maybe add a different color to every title.
I still like it....condenses a big page.  smiley_thumbsup

Roxie

Say when

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Some of the Old Goats might not like it.  :D

Dave Shepard

My bookmark is the unread posts button, so I don't even see it. I don't have any issue with the normal index.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

beenthere

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 15, 2014, 06:47:28 PM

I thought you said you liked it.   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: beenthere on September 15, 2014, 07:58:24 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 15, 2014, 06:47:28 PM

I thought you said you liked it.   ;D

:D :D :D You got my Goat on that reply.  :D :D :D

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WmFritz

Quote from: Dave Shepard on September 15, 2014, 06:51:25 PM
My bookmark is the unread posts button, so I don't even see it. I don't have any issue with the normal index.

I do the same. The only time I see the index is when I hit the ''mark all topics read'' button (I think that's it). Or if I'm searching for something.

Personally, I don't mind the tabs, especially once I got used to them. Plus, I can click on the blue 'The Forestry Forum' just above the Lucas Mill banner and take me back to the regular index... if it stays that way.

Edit;  it should've read "mark all messages as read"
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Thank You Sponsors!