iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red Barn, White Barn, Brown Barn, Blue?

Started by kwendt, March 25, 2015, 11:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwendt

Okay... Poll time!
Imagine.... Northern Maine farm and Forest: Balsam, White Pine, Paper Birch, spruce and Sugar Maples. Snow. Amish. Potatoes, Oats, sweet Corn, Hay. Pasture. Horses, cows, Chickens, ducks. Wildlife: deer, fox, black bear, coyote, grouse, owls and Eagles... Now...

Paint barn Red? Leave it weathered board brown? Paint it White? Some othe color? Here are a couple pictures of nearby countryside... 

87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

curdog

I vote for red or leave it as is. But that red barn in the picture is pretty sharp. I've been thinking about this as well for my barn, but too many other priorities before the barn painting.

kwendt

Well, it's getting a new roof for sure, so been thinking about the color... Yes that red is cool in winter. I'm thinking red with a barm mural on it advertising the Farm and Forge.
87 acres abandoned northern Maine farm and forest to reclaim. 20 acres in fields, 55 acre woodlot: maple, spruce, cedar and mixed. Deer, bear, moose, fox, mink, snowshoe and lynx. So far: a 1950 Fergie TO-20, hand tools, and a forge. (And a husband!)

Ron Wenrich

As a test project, you could always paint the dog house to the left to see if you like it.  I don't think white will work too well.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

dgdrls

IMHO if the wood was new I would seal in it clear oil finish,

What ever you choose I would use a stain that penetrates the wood
not paint, 
Also, I would stain/seal (as much as possible) the inside & ends
of the lower boards

Best
DGDrls

thecfarm

Those are some mighty fine looking pictures. I kinda like red.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

47sawdust

Take a trip a little farther north in to Quebec.No need to limit yourself to those 4 colors.They have some real eye openers for colors there as well as the Maritimes.Being an old boring German it is a real pleasure to see the wild color schemes our good neighbors to the north can come up with.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

kwendt

Quote from: dgdrls on March 26, 2015, 06:20:56 AM
IMHO if the wood was new I would seal in it clear oil finish,

What ever you choose I would use a stain that penetrates the wood
not paint, 
Also, I would stain/seal (as much as possible) the inside & ends
of the lower boards

Best
DGDrls

. Thanks, DGDris, good advice....I'll use that. We are rebuilding the gambrel if we can save it, and if we can't then building a gable barn. The original barn was a massive three story, bank barn with a gable roof. Sadly, the original house and barn were lost in a fire many years ago.

kwendt

Quote from: 4x4American on March 26, 2015, 06:31:15 AM
Barns are red, tractors are green!

No, no! Tractors are gray!  ;)  1950 Fergie gray! (Don't I wish I could afford green!) lol

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

kwendt

Quote from: 47sawdust on March 26, 2015, 07:25:03 AM
Take a trip a little farther north in to Quebec.No need to limit yourself to those 4 colors.They have some real eye openers for colors there as well as the Maritimes.Being an old boring German it is a real pleasure to see the wild color schemes our good neighbors to the north can come up with.

Oh! @47sawdust , I'll go google some of my good neighbors! Lol, can't wait!

Hilltop366

There are paint companies that have "try on colours" where you can upload your picture and change your building colour to get a preview of what it would look like, Sherwin-Williams is one I know of.

Traditional red with white trim and a natural aged grey shingle roof look is where my mind goes first, more of a brick red really.

Beautiful pictures / scenery by the way!

justallan1

I agree with the red with white trim.
I wouldn't paint a barn white. With rain coming off the roof and splashing mud on it and wind bringing in dust and dirt, it wouldn't stay white for long.
Just my opinion.

sawyerf250

An Aroostook county barn should only be painted (barn) red with white trim boards in my personal opinion!? Black tin roof optional...

And @4x4American crops are green and tractors are red, I think you are confused lol
Massey Ferguson 375 w/838 loader, Wallenstien Fx 90 winch, 3 Husqvarna chainsaws

SawyerBrown

Beautiful setting!  Sitting there in the snow ... Red!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

sandhills

I'm in the red/white trim crowd, but I'd never notice, be to busy sitting in the loft looking at the scenery  :).  Beautiful place you have!

pabst79

Red or clear stain to keep it all natural  :), IMO white would not fit well with the beautiful background.
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

kwendt

I've seen a lot of dark green barns with either black trim or white trim too. There are special "Barn" paints and colors apparently. I googled "barn paint" and heck! Like 10 or so different barn reds! We just used to go down to the AG store and what they gave you is what you got, lol.

Well, so far the consensus is it's Barn Red with White Trim or natural.

Now, the question about 'proper' tractor color is still hotly debated!!!!!  ;D ;D

kwendt

@sawyerf250
Quote from: sawyerf250 on March 26, 2015, 09:12:27 AM
An Aroostook county barn should only be painted (barn) red with white trim boards in my personal opinion!? Black tin roof optional...

Sawyer, black tin standing seam AND solar Panels! The long side faces due south...  Interestingly, my husband and I ran the numbers for solar collection rates on a gambrel versus a gable roof, standard pitch options, at our latitude and found that there is very little difference in expected electric output. Negligible. Kinda interesting.

beenthere

The red barn I like... but when I see a barn out in the snow I get a much warmer feeling if there are signs around the barn that it is being used. Like some animals, manure piles, hay feeders, tracks in the snow, etc. Otherwise it is just a remnant of the past.. and cold, hard facts of time slipping by day by day, year by year.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Sadly, to paint without priming usually does not turn out very well.  I would ask questions at the paint store, and also paint a test section to be sure.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!