iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw blades for petrified wood?

Started by Duncan, August 29, 2005, 03:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I remember, as a child, that Granddaddy took Charlie and me to the Marble quarry in North Georgia.   One of the things we got to see was big blocks of marble being cut up into littler blocks of marble.  They used Wire.  Yep, Wire and a slurry of water and marble dust.  The wire dragged the slurry through the block and cut it as clean as a whistle.

I wonder if a piece of wire could be used for this as well.  It wouldn't have to be solid wire.  A piece of cable(wire rope) could be used to get the correct length.  Cable can be spliced such that you can hardly tell  where the splice is.  It might be that sand and water would get it started.  The slurry would have to be captured and re-injected into the kerf somehow.  It wouldn't even have to be on the Woodmizer if you could cut vertically instead of horrizontall.  The weight of the contraption on the wire could be used and the motor could be a little electric motor from a fan or grinder.   I'll bet it would work.  You could make a bunch of the machines and that would get a lot of production.  They could run all night and day, unattended.  ;D :-\

tnlogger

tom thats an idea i bet you could use feathers and wedges too. i slit some mighty big granite blocks with a hammer drill and a few of them.  ;D
gene

Gilman

Paul,   :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Tom,
You think about twenty of those wire cutters would be enough, or do you think I'd better plan on more?  ;)

TnLogger,
I'd try the wedges but I'm allergic to down.  ;D
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Thank You Sponsors!