iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any one ever do a gazebo roof this way?

Started by 20ozjolt, April 06, 2017, 02:13:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

20ozjolt

I'm looking at different options for doing a timber frame gazebo with a hole in the center for a chimney and I my random searches I came across this photo with no other information this is why I hate Pinterest

Don P

It is called a reciprocal frame, or hand in hand framing. It is "self supporting".

A yurt is somewhat similar in look without the stepping problem, however the forces are different. They have a compression ring at the oculus and a restraining tension ring containing the rafter feet.

fishfighter

Good info there. Didn't know what it was called, but knew of it ad how it was done. ;D

Roger Nair

The illustrated frame appears to me as razzle-dazzle, I'm not sure how all that heavy timber relates structurally to the lightly framed radial rafter system.  I would guess a compression ring up top and a tension ring at the plates was employed.  It would be good to have other views to really get an understanding of this frame.
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

20ozjolt

I was looking at the beams not all that extra stuff... lol

My thought was good old tongue and Grove 1x6 or 2x6 for the roof.

With this frame should I use a lap joint at the top to lok it all together and put the rafters all on the same plane?

EDIT Wow thank you reciprocal roofing is the term I needed for research

ChugiakTinkerer

I am amazed at what I pick up on this forum on a near-daily basis.  Thanks 20oz and Don for this educational moment.

I did a reverse image search on the Pinterest photo and found the builders.  Not much technical info but some more views of the structure: http://www.gardendesignhereford.co.uk/gallery/the-octagons/

Now I need to figure out a way to make sure my wife never sees this...  :D
Woodland Mills HM130

Heartwood

From TimberHomes LLC:

Also, the book Reciprocal Frame Architecture is a good resource.

Thank You Sponsors!