iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

slab reduction

Started by woodmills1, September 01, 2003, 09:24:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

What do you do with your slabs? :D :D

old fart on left, lovely wife on right :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodhaven

Kinda Sorta the same thing. I have what they call a cord saw. It is a 30" blade on a frame that goes on the tractor 3- point hitch. I cut all slabs and scraps into fire wood and burn in the shop wood heater.
Richard

Tobacco Plug

When I cut the wood for my house I burned up some humongous slab piles.  Now, when a custom sawing customer will give them to me, which is pretty often, I cut them up for firewood for my wood furnace.  Pine, oak, poplar, maple, gum, we burn it all!

Lewis Lawrence
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

Frank_Pender

The larger slabs become firewood for my two Taylors, one for the house and the other for the kiln.  The smaller material becomes either kindling or chips, depending on my mood and amount of time for customers staring me in the face. :'(
Frank Pender

Sawyerfortyish

James we just put a inline mulch grinder in. Got about 500yrds of mulch now. If your down my way stop over I'll show it to you

woodmills1

Now you need a colorizer so you can turn it into the high dollar mulch. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Kevin_H.

The mill sets on top of what was an old coal mine, We have several concrete foundations, 20' x 30'  

we dump are woodwaste in and lite it when it gets full, can get a rather large flame goin'

The scary part is when you are burnin' and you hear the local fire whistle go off, you dont want to wish bad luck on anyone, but you do hope they are going some place else.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Sawyerfortyish

Around here if the fire dept goes out on a call and it turns out to be a campfire or bon fire or something you started and you don't have a permit they can charge $$$ you for the call.
  James we looked at a colorizer for this machine and there out of there minds they want big bucks. Right now the wholesaler only wants to pay about 5 bucks a yard. Wait till spring these guys are selling it for 20+ bucks a yard. I'll sell it for 10. They don't want me to sell for 10 they said i'll destroy the market the way I look at it im creating a better market for me ;)

shopteacher

I pile them along the road going past my place and put a free firewood sign on it. Don't last long. :D :D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

isawlogs

What ever slab is left over after all the kindling is taken for the house  We cut into 3 foot lenght and bring it over to the sugar shack for the spring run...Or take the 540 (skider) and push into one big pile and have a real weenie and marshmelow roast around christmas...
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tom

We have a New Year's Bonfire.  It's a good use for my trash logs that the wife wants me to get rid of too. :D

Frickman

We heat two houses and two shops with slabs, and use a little sugaring in the spring. Anything leftover is free for the taking.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Thank You Sponsors!