iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

band wheel size

Started by fathead, November 03, 2011, 01:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fathead

Hoping I could get a opinion on pulley sizes, band wheel dia. and blade speed. I have a deutz air cooled 38 hp diesel @2000 rpm, the engine came with a centrifical clutch and a 4 grove 6"pulley I was hoping to use. Also I was thinking of using 19" cook band wheels but I am willing to change to larger band wheels if needed.Thanks.

ladylake

With a 38hp diesel you'ld have enough power to run 1-1/2  x .50 and bigger wheels if you wanted to but 19" wheels and .42  x 1-1/4 band would sure work also and cost less.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

york

Hi fathead,
take a look at what the industry does-i just looked at a mid sized cooks mill,with 38 and 40 hp,this mill they offer with 19 in band wheels running 1&1/4 bands....

i would look at WM Baker TH

Bert
Albert

fathead

thanks for your advise, when I call cooks to purchase the bandwheels I am hoping to tap into there experience also.

eastberkshirecustoms

It is my understanding that bigger is always better ;) The industry doesn't always do what is best- they have to take into account affordability, etc. Seriously consider the largest wheels you can afford for increased blade life (less stress and the use of longer blades), the potential  for greater cutting depth, and the 'carry through' power of the larger wheels once they are spinning. There have been some good articles on band wheel size in SM&WL magazine over the years.

eastberkshirecustoms

I forgot to mention that you can use the bandspeed calculator https://forestryforum.com/members/donp/bandspeedcalc.htm
to determine your pulley/sheave sizes for the optimum SFPM needed for the blades being used.

Banjo picker

Fathead as to the three things you asked about ...I will venture an opionion on one...band wheel diameter.  If you go from 19" to 26" which is the next size up in cooks repitiour you will increase your blade length by about 4 foot...they sell the bands by the inch...so figure up the added cost...and it will be something to deal with over the coming years....the larger wheel will also probably rule out your using 1 1/4 " bands you will need either 1 1/2 or 2"  which will drive the cost up more....the wider bands need to be made of a little thicker material to do their best...there fore you will be wanting to use .50 thickness instead of .42 or .43.....I have 26" wheels and in all fairness I have used the .42  and .43 in a couple of blades but I have went back to the .50... But the width of the wheel and the crown on it.... tied in with the width of the guide wheels will dictate wheither you can use 1 1/4 bands or not...  EX... by the time I wear a 1 1/2 inch band down to the size of a new 1 1/4 band...when the band hits the wood and goes back against the guide wheels I will be close to knocking the set out of one side of the band...when that happens its all over....I could totall reset up my mill for the wore out band and use it but as it wears down it also sets further back on the band wheel...  which will evntually take the set out as well

As to wheither bigger is better...its according to what you intend to do with the mill.... If there is going to be 2 or 3 people working it ...bigger is better...If you are by your self you may not need the biggest and fastest...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

backwoods sawyer

I am running a 42 hp Kubota with 24" wheels, which allows me to run 184"x 1 ½" x .055 saws, I can also run .045 saws but find the thicker saws perform better. I prefer the all steel wheels but because of availability and my sawing schedule I changed over to belted wheels when the steel wheels started cracking, and now I am dealing with excessive belt wear, and jumping saws.
I find that the 42 hp handles the 24" wheels with ease, even when mowing thru wide cuts in oak and other harder woods.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

fathead

Man that is a lot to think about ,I have been working on the bed and the hydraulics for about a year .I know its sounds slow but I have tried to do a lot of research and build it as operator friendly as possible.This decision seems to be one of the most important and expensive of the mill.It would be nice if there was a quality 21' steel wheel available.I forgot to mention the deutzi is set to run at 2000 rpm/38 hp but can be safely ran at 2400 rpm/42hp. Even if I dont operate the mill on a large commercail scale my intention is that someone could.It is designed to be appox. 36' between the guides.Also it is a portable mill built on 12'x 25 feet long I beams. If this information would help someone give me there opinion I am all ears. Thanks for all of your responses.

eastberkshirecustoms

Quote from: fathead on November 05, 2011, 11:10:02 PM
Man that is a lot to think about
Agreed, it really is a lot. It took me a while doing research before making the purchase. The wheels are a major component of the mill and should be an informed decision. I know it wouldn't be practical to re-engineer and retrofit many existing mills, but if you are building your own, my point was to go big. For instance, a .042" blade on an 18" bandwheel has a bending stress of 70,000 psi, while on a 25" wheel, the stress drops to 50,000 psi, which should significantly extend blade life. I hope this helps, and post up some pics of your build. We all love photos ;)

fathead

The forestry forum bandwheel speed calculator was awesome ,it let me experiment with diameters and saved so much time.From my readings 4900 to 5100 fpm should work ok for 38 to 42 hp.What do you guys think.

Thank You Sponsors!