iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Porting my ms660

Started by Firewoodking, May 07, 2013, 11:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodking

I picked up my new ms660 from the dealer this afternoon. While I was down there I went ahead and ordered me a dual port muffler. The dealer said he is not expirienced with those and my question is this:

1) after installing the dual port muffler, what other adjustments do I need to make?

2) if not adjusted properly, can I do damage to the saw?

Firewoodking

Al_Smith

Well not trying to sound like a jerk but my comment is if that dealer doesn't know how to install a simple muffler and tune a saw you've done business with a rather inexperianced person .

Ianab

Quote2) if not adjusted properly, can I do damage to the saw?

If you end up with the saw running too lean, yes bad things will happen. Think melted piston, scored cylinder and seized saw.  :o

But like Al says, one of the dealers jobs is to check that new saws are adjusted correctly before they are sold. It's "Chainsaw Servicing 101". Other things can also change the mix, grade of fuel, altitude, temperature etc, and of course a different muffler. So if the dealer can't retune a carb don't let him touch the saw, ever.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

AdkStihl

Quote from: Ianab on May 07, 2013, 11:39:45 PM
Quote2) if not adjusted properly, can I do damage to the saw?

If you end up with the saw running too lean, yes bad things will happen. Think melted piston, scored cylinder and seized saw.  :o

But like Al says, one of the dealers jobs is to check that new saws are adjusted correctly before they are sold. It's "Chainsaw Servicing 101". Other things can also change the mix, grade of fuel, altitude, temperature etc, and of course a different muffler. So if the dealer can't retune a carb don't let him touch the saw, ever.

Ian

x2
J.Miller Photography

joe_indi

Quote from: Firewoodking on May 07, 2013, 11:20:09 PM

1) after installing the dual port muffler, what other adjustments do I need to make?

You will need to change the standard 0.64 fixed jet to a 0.66, if not a 0.74.
Once you have changed to a larger jet, standard settings (1 turn out of L & H  screws) is fine.
If you want to try and run it on the standard 0.64 jet you will need to turn out the H screw to 1 1/2 to 2 turns to compensate for the increased air flow resulting from the dual port muffler.
With the saw in idle turn the L screw out to the point that the idle speed drops noticeably.
Use the idle adjust screw to increase the idle.
This way you have the saw in 'Safe Mode' for running with a dual port muffler.
It might not be the best of settings but, being a rich setting you wont damage the engine.
BTW the Dual port Magnum muffler of a 066 is Part# 1122 140 0603.
It not only makes the saw cut good, it also sounds good.
And, looks good
I do have one somewhere,if I locate it I will post a picture
Joe

Al_Smith

Now I'm a tad bit terse and outspoken but I mean no disrespect .However with the questions asked it is very obvious you are not an engine man .As such you are dealing with nearly 1200 dollars worth of new saw ,Ohio prices and likely more in California .

So you have a dealer who either doesn't want to fool with the thing or is just plain ignorant of how to do it .My suggestion is  don't fiddle with it and  find a dealer who knows what in the world he's doing.

I'll pretty much tell you if you screw it up Stihl will not stand behind it if it's an altered product from original sales .

It's a new saw under warrentee .Guys like me take those 20 year old junkers and make them run so that doesn't apply to us so what we do to them is of little matter .So if it blows we're out a hundred ,big deal .We're talking 10-12  times that amount here .Something to think about . ;)

Firewoodking

Thanks for the great information guys, I'm still kinda on the fence.

Although it seems very cool and I have interest in "playing" with my new saw, al_smith has a good point.  It is indeed $1200

This is my first "real" saw and when using it for the first time yesterday, it has power like I have never expirenced before.

The extra power and cool exhaust sound is a bonus but al_smith may have scared me off.

BTW, I called 15 chainsaw shops and every single one of them told me they have never heard of such a procedure and would not perform it anyway because that muffler is not approved for california emissions and they cannot be liable.

My local shop seems very helpful and has agreed to help me tweak it as long as I bolt it on myself first.   I put him in touch with this website to help facilitate that also.

Please advise.

Firewoodking

thecfarm

I have a good size husky,forgot the number,but I think it puts out 4.5hp?? That is quite the saw.For power and to lug around all day too. I have not started it for 2 years now. I used it some when my everyday saw was in the shop.Never once crossed my mind to get more power out of it. I tease some guy that has a scooter that I have a chainsaw with more power than what he has.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

s grinder

Firewoodking,it's none of my business but i would do what Al said ,at least for a while,run it for a while,let it break in if it develops any problems you can take it back to a dealer under warranty,once you start modding it your on your own.I bought a MS660 with a 32" bar two years ago for cutting down stumps,the only think i did was install a high output oil pump,after about 5 or so tanks of fuel it really started to wake up.I have the skills to dual port and change carb jet and adjust carb but haven't it runs just to good.I know i could get more out of it but do i need it.Just like the little girl on the AT&T commercial says she wants more and more,the more you have the more want

Al_Smith

Well there you go .Remember you're in California and the dealers are bound by Stihls' edicts plus the state of California on what they can do .

The dealer where I do business  is fascinated with what I do to saws .He by contract is not allowed to do so  under his franchise agreement on any piece of Stihl equipment he sells to the public .

To put it in plain simple English Stihl as a company is covering their butt.

Oh just put fuel and oil in the thing and run it ,it'll be A-OK . ;)

Ianab

QuoteOh just put fuel and oil in the thing and run it ,it'll be A-OK .

^ This

It's not like the saw is short of power right out of the box.

It's not that you can't get a little more oomph from it relatively simply, but it's not like you NEED to.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Peacock

If nothing else you can just tach the saw with the stock muffler.  Then put the dual port on.  Cut the limiting tab off the high jet.  Use a tach and richen the high jet back up until the rpm falls back down to the original setting.

That will get you pretty darn close and still be plenty safe, assuming the factory setting was good.  IIRC, an MS660 is set to run at 13k WOT no load.
Stihl saws
Kubota tractor
Cummins turbo diesel

Al_Smith

Well yeah of course the OP could all that stuff but I few of us are trying to point out it would void the warranty.

Fact with what that thing cost he also be well advised to run  Stihl "ultra "mix oil to extend the warranty period .

Tell ya what ,I bought a new Mercury Grand  Marquis in 2008 and so far it only has around 28 thou on it  but it has a 7 year 70,000 mile extended warrenty .I won't even change the oil in it myself until that period is over with .The dealer does it and there's a record of it .

Now it does not take  genious to modify a saw muffler or tune a carb or change oil in an automobile for that matter .Why would you   take the chance though knowing the warranty would be in issue ?

Peacock

All 3 of my current saws were ported before warranty was up.

If someone is wanting more power, then warranty is out of the question.  The 2 don't go hand in hand.
Stihl saws
Kubota tractor
Cummins turbo diesel

joe_indi

Quote from: joe_indi on May 08, 2013, 12:14:57 PM
BTW the Dual port Magnum muffler of a 066 is Part# 1122 140 0603.
It not only makes the saw cut good, it also sounds good.
And, looks good
I do have one somewhere,if I locate it I will post a picture

I have located it here is a picture

But my all time favorite is this muffler cover of the 038 Magnum

Al_Smith

I had no idea a cover from an 038 would fit on an an 066 shell .The 038 Mag is my favorite of any Stihl ever built .

joe_indi

Quote from: Al_Smith on May 11, 2013, 09:32:23 PM
I had no idea a cover from an 038 would fit on an an 066 shell .The 038 Mag is my favorite of any Stihl ever built .
Al, my  fault, I did not post the picture of the 038 cover as a fitment for the 066.The mix up is deeply regretted.I just wanted to post it because the 038 Mag was my first Stihl saw.
This cover always made me think of military hardware.

Joe

Thank You Sponsors!