iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fordson dexta or Ford 8n

Started by slice107, August 27, 2019, 11:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slice107

I picked up a Fordson Dexta diesel with live PTO and a Ford 8n. Both are about in the same condition and need some work. I was thinking about selling one of them to help fund fixing the other, but I don't know what one I should keep?? The 8n I can get parts for pretty easy from what I seen online but the Dexta seems like a better tractor with live PTO?

Anyone have any opinions on ether tractor? I will be using it mostly for firewood with a winch, and a grader blade, and towing a trailer. My dad wants me to get a blower so I can help him with driveways in the winter but that isn't a deal breaker for me.
Stihl 028, Husqvarna 288,285, Stihl MS500i, Ford 8n.

Huztle/Farmertech 36" CS mill

Norwood HD36

Nebraska

Live pto is the only way to go. 

sawguy21

Yes if you want to run a blower and/or a winch. The Dexta might also be better for your needs with more power and weight.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

btulloh

I'm a big fan of the 8n but it's not r.eally a good choice for most work these days. Live pto (and hydraulics) is pretty much mandatory. 

I have an 8n I restored but I only use it to move trailers around. Or just move me around. 

Good luck. Older tractors require a little more tlc. 
HM126

samandothers

Sale market for the Ford may be better.  
Live PTO is a good thing!

Wudman

Definitely the Dexta.  I own one and it is a great little tractor.  My unit has dual remotes so it is pretty handy.  That 3 cylinder Perkins is a good bit stronger than the 4 cylinder flathead.  One word of caution, check for water in your transmission.  I have to change the transmission oil fairly regularly.  With sporadic use, you build condensation and your oil will get murky.  Parts are not too hard to find......then again in 20 years I have not needed much in the way of parts.

Wudman 
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

thecfarm

Those 8n's was high geared too.  :o  Unless a sherman shift was put in.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

slice107

Ok thanks for all the help in deciding to keep the dexta :)
Stihl 028, Husqvarna 288,285, Stihl MS500i, Ford 8n.

Huztle/Farmertech 36" CS mill

Norwood HD36

Thank You Sponsors!