iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

20 feet of flying circle saws!

Started by Jeff, July 08, 2022, 08:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I think this is one of the most interesting videos I have ever made. I had an extraordinary opportunity to view and learn from  a Helicopter line sawing  crew working clearing the transmission lines on ours and neighboring properties in the Eastern Upper Peninsula near Detour Village. A very Interesting Dangerous Job! The pilots and saw crew were camera shy but not shy about answering my questions off. We had great coversations as two were from Montana, one of those via New Zealand, and the other from Wyoming.  The guys had stowed kiddy fishing poles with them  and after asking, fished in the pond between flight shifts. (to no avail) :)
VIDEO LINK>>> 20 Feet of Flying Circle Saws! Helicopter Power line clearing. Eastern U.P. - YouTube
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Well I guess y'all have seen it all before. 

Don P

No!  It's been qued up since posted,its July  :D I chatted with the ground crew watching and asking questions here a few years ago.

I gotta go clean up in da rain today, blech :)

thecfarm

Interesting!!!
Never knew it had its own motor.
Nice barn in the back ground.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bradm

2 years ago I was talking with a helicopter pilot who wanted to setup an operation like this to keep the main lines clear for Ontario Hydro.  He was turned down because it would have resulted in too many jobs lost.

Nice video though.  I was surprised as to how aggressive the blades are as they look like they're almost a high tooth count (about 30 teeth on a 24" (610mm) blade if my count was correct) rip saw design.

sawguy21

I was in helicopter ops support for a number of years, I am really glad I didn't have to maintain those beasts! Anything goes wrong the pilot is dead.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Resonator

Where I was working a few years ago, they were constructing a high tension powerline. One of the highest pay jobs (and high risk) was connecting the cables to the tops of the towers. They would do this with a man in a basket, hanging from a cable under the helicopter dangled over the powerline. :o
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Don P

That was cool, I never got to see it on the ground. That thing isn't much more than a chevette in the sky.

I took this a few years ago when they did our lines. Its to the right of the pole and towards us in this pic. When he was done we looked at this stretch and I asked the power company crew if they would mind just dropping that row on each side, it was just too tight and they had been limbed to death. Hopefully he won't have to mess with that for a long time. As he was coming up that hill it sure looked like we were at eye level with each other. Too much fun for me!

azmtnman

Why didn't you follow with your drone?  :D :D :D :D :D :D
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

rusticretreater

I have a piece of property with a power line easement through it.  I just happened along the day after they came through with their giant flying whirlygig of death.  The carnage to the trees was horrendous.  I cut down trees and clear land but seeing trees cut in half, ripped and mauled was a bit shocking in a way.  The mess it left was also substantial.  I was like "thanks a lot for the extra work!"  

I passed by a few days later ready to start piling stuff up and they had come through again and done a pretty thorough job of cleaning and removal.  I bet some wood products company was pretty busy mulching that stuff.

One of these things is used as a death machine in a Pierce Brosnan James Bond movie.  It cuts a fishing shack in half no problem.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Jeff

In this boreal forest, it actually leaves the powerline edge looking better. The bows that fall almost form a path.  Yesterday a skidder rigged with a huge tank was following up spraying everything for a final kill within the right of way

Ed_K

That was really kool,  ;). I'd never saw one before other than a picture in Northern Logger of the blades.
Ed K

Jeff

We saw them working today about twenty miles on down the line

Thank You Sponsors!