iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got an Idee

Started by Fla._Deadheader, December 27, 2006, 12:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Most of my running around down here, is just to get someplace and back. No need to carry anything else, like tools, or other things.

I was prowlin the "net" last night, on the Bio Forums, and came across some guys that  are modding motorcycles to run on Diesel power.  8) 8)  One guy shows a Goldwing shaft drive unit he is converting to a Diesel engine. That gave me all KINDS of idees.  ::) ::) ::)  Like I need more projects  ::) ::) ::)

Ennyhoo, something like that would be ideal down here. Especially run on Veggie Oil, at 100-125 MPG. Gotta do some studyin on making a 4 wheeler outfit, or MAYBE a 3 wheeler, like a Trike, with a cab to keep out the rain.

Any mad scientist type builders on here, that might shoot some ideas this way ??  8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

leweee

Got just the thing for ya. ;D
LINK

PS your on your own with that diesel that gets 100-125mpg :o
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

SPIKER

the other night on dirty jobs, Mike Rowe helped make bio-diesel fuel from cleaning the kitchen where the grease came from to making it and putting it into the cars.  they were getting ~40 mpg from an old Nissan pickup and a VW gulf.

Mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Fla._Deadheader

Don't believe all ya see on the Boob Tube  ::) ::) ::)  It ain't all that simple.

Lewee, yer a mean person. My desk was full of coffee, AGAIN  ::) ::) >:(

That was 175, not 125. I went back today and checked.

Here's what I really would like.

Gunbus
   First, it is ridiculed;

scsmith42

FDH - I'm always open to bouncing ideas.  

A couple of questions - are most of your errands on paved or non-paved roads?  If the former, a motorcycle would be good - if the latter, perhaps a 4-wheeler or even a modified golf cart.  What type of top end needed?

Small diesel's are starting to get more prevalent.  Many older 20ish HP motors available, but they are relatively low RPM - probably want to figure out some type of variable ratio belt drive.

I've got a Polaris Ranger 6 x 6 - does 45 mph or so from the factory on gasoline (takes about 40HP to do it though).  I'm thinking that a motorcycle would definitely be more hp efficient - one challenge would be having to gear the engine up to a higher rpm before going into the MC tranny, as most MC's are set up for 8 - 12K.  Hmm, the Harley's are geared for lower rpm though - my softail does around 2500 rpm or so at 60mph.  Perhaps a harley tranny  and belt drive in whatever frame you can come up with - OR - a harley tranny / belt drive on a golf cart chassis with a small diesel engine?

One problem with the golf cart concept is that the small tires are not well suited for high rpm, but if you put on some small trailer tires - like 13" or so that may work.

Interesting concept, for sure...

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Fla._Deadheader

Actually both Paved and dirt-rock. I'm thinkin of looking for an independent suspension drive rear, for 4 wheel bike, OR, the goldwing shaft drive with 2 front wheels that steer ??

Never messed with Bikes much ??
   First, it is ridiculed;

blueduck

a production bike is produced bike looks to be made in europe.

you might be able to use a duetz diesel and a big hammer to marry it to an existing tranny and come up with a usable 4 or 6 wheeler.

anything is worth a try.....

William
Upon the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions, who when on the dawn of victory paused to rest, and there resting died.
- John Dretschmer

scsmith42

Well, one challenge with bikes is that they steer differently on road versus off-road.  I'm not sure that the dual front wheel concept would handle very well in corners at high speed - kinda makes me think of the ground loop potential that a tail dragger has...

What kind of top end speeds are you looking for?
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Ianab

Sounds like you want to end up with something like this.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=164

Looks like a golf cart but has 4WD, locking diffs and mud grip tyres. They are much more capable on the hills and mud than they look  ;D
Friend has one to get around the farm, can carry a decent load and pull a small trailer too.

Give you some ideas anyway?

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Michigan Mike

Hey Deadheader you might want to check out this site WWW.HDTUSA.COM. They build deisel bikes for the marines and I belive some of the British military. Basically it is a modified Kawasaki KLR. The motor they use is based on the original KLR motor but is a new build they use almost none of the original motor.  If you are looking for more stability than two wheels the easyest thing to do is add a sidecar. You might check out Ural motorcycles. They sell a sidecar rig with both rear wheels driven.

getoverit

When I was a Kid, my dad worked for the railroad and bought a 3 wheeled cushman from railroad surplus. It had  a single cylinder engine on it, but I'm not sure of the horse power. It had no body on it, but we made a seat and a short truck body on the back of it for hauling stuff around the farm. The wheels were about 8" and fairly wide. It would do about 45 mph and had a 3 speed transmission and hydraulic brakes and clutch (pedals).

If you could find one if these, it would be really easy to put one of those cheap chinese diesel engines on it and should get some fantastic mileage if you werent insistant on going real fast. It is very stable and not prone to roll over and would carry quite a load with the spring suspension front and rear. I have seen a few of these in people's yards, but probably couldnt find one now if I wanted to.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Fla._Deadheader

Mich. Mike, I have been on that website, and several others touting Diesels. Problem is, most sites just talk and spout, with nothing to show. There's a guy on the road checking out some of these places.

Parts down here are the problem. Occasionally see a Harley or Honda, Big Bike. Most are Dirt Bikes or small "sportster" type Yamahas, Hondas, bikes made in India. Things like that. Cushman in CR ???  Don't think so. I had a 2 wheel Cushman when I was 15.

Thanks for all the input. Got several more important projects to get finished, first. Just looking and asking stages right now.
   First, it is ridiculed;

SPIKER

Thought I'd post a link to the home made china tractor engine powering a mazda pickup link to the tractor by tell net forum here
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/chinese-tractors/74663-jima-y385t-powered-mazda-pickup.html

here is a pic of the mazda with 3 cyl diesel in it http://www.tractorbynet.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/2924/sort/1/cat/565/page/1

great thinking to say the least.

mark M

I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Fla._Deadheader

Spiker, Great links.

I hooked an aircraft generator to a Mazda Rotary Pickup bell housing. Couldn't find an electronics genius to make the drive circuit for it to run the truck. Took that out and married a Wisconsin V-4 to the same tranny. That worked well, but, there was 1 bad cylinder and it blew oil and wouldn't QUITE top the first hill by the house.
   First, it is ridiculed;

srjones

Another website devoted to the idea....

http://www.dieselbike.net/

Everyone has hobbies...I hope to live in mine someday.

Thank You Sponsors!