iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spots after applying Linseed Oil to Red Cedar Mantel

Started by DHUNTER, May 16, 2014, 04:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHUNTER

I put about 6 coats of linseed oil on this mantel I am making and these light colored spots have showed up.

Can anyone tell me what is going on and how I get rid of them? 

I have put some additional coats on since they showed up but they are still there.

DHUNTER

hackberry jake

My guess is glue remnants that didn't get sanded down enough
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

QuoteCan anyone tell me what is going on and how I get rid of them? 
Sand (or plane) the finish off and get just past whatever spilled on the surface... and I agree looks like glue.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kderby

Please let us know how this turns out.  Even if you opt to not "fix" the mantel. 

Juniper gets "dry" spots as part of the grain sucks up more finish than other spots.  I wondered if red cedar did the same.  It does look like glue but if it is not....I want to know what else it could be.

Thanks

Kderby

WDH

It looks to be a contaminant of some type that the oil cannot penetrate. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Looks like glue. To help with penetration thin the linseed with turpentine for a couple coats first. Let sit a few minutes between coats and wipe down. You don't want the oil at any stage to pool, it will gum up over time. Sometimes it will back bleed out, wipe that to. Don't use the turpentine mix in the house unless you want to clear the sinuses. Let it dry good before bringing it in. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Tung oil is applied mixed 50:50 with mineral spirits.  Mineral spirits are a little easier to work with than turpentine. 

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

If the spots were natural in the wood, they would not go across the glue line, but would stop at the line.  So, the fact that they continue across indicates something applied at or after gluing.  I agree that this looks exactly like excess glue was wiped off the piece.  It is better to let squeeze out harden and the scrape.  The glue can penetrate a 1/32", so sand it gently.  Heat in sanding will melt the glue and drive it deeper.  Scraping is often better than sanding at this point.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

DHUNTER

I cleaned with mineral spirits before applying.  Would that do it?

Either way looks like I need to start over.

Thanks for the advice, I'm a rookie. 

Bill Gaiche

It does look like glue that caused the spots. I have had it happen to me also. Sometimes its not fun to correct things like that. Also silicone in either glue or oil will do that too. I have had to take lacquer thinner and remove all the poly and start over with some sanding first. bg

Bill Gaiche

WDH

LeeB

I've never used linseed oil. Does it blend into each layer or does it require sanding between layers for adhesion? Is it posible to repair only the blotched area?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

5quarter

Yup...definitely glue smear.if you can't run it through a wide drum or belt sander, use a hand held belt sander. do not try to sand the glue smear only or you will wind up with a noticeable depression. sand the whole top evenly and you should be fine. on a side note...nobody ever sees the top of a mantle, only the front edge and maybe the bottom.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

36 coupe

Quote from: DHUNTER on May 16, 2014, 04:54:11 PM
I put about 6 coats of linseed oil on this mantel I am making and these light colored spots have showed up.

Can anyone tell me what is going on and how I get rid of them? 

I have put some additional coats on since they showed up but they are still there.
There are much better finishes than linseed oil.I use it on end grain to prevent cracking as lumber dries.Beware of rags that have linseed oil on them.They can start a fire.

Den Socling

Very true about the fire hazard. A wad of linseed oil soaked rags can turn to flames in 3 hours.

Thank You Sponsors!