iDRY Vacuum Kilns

New Browser

Started by Fla._Deadheader, April 20, 2007, 10:51:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

Anybody been playing with  UBUNTU ??  New Browser that is wide open. No hackers ??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom Sawyer

Last time I checked, Ubuntu was a version of the Linux operating system that included Firefox as the web browser.  Am I missing something?

Fla._Deadheader

Far as I know, that is exactly how it works. Thing is, no hackers attacking it.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on April 29, 2007, 09:24:25 AM8)
Last time I checked, Ubuntu was a version of the Linux operating system that included Firefox as the web browser.  Am I missing something?

You might be.  All of the versions of Linux I've worked with have included or have available to download at least 4 different browsers, maybe more.  At this time though, I don't know of any hack that can get through Firefox on Linux.  8)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Fla._Deadheader

I just realized I made a boo boo starting this thread. It's NOT a Browser, it's a NEW Operating system  ::) ::) ::) :-[ :-[
   First, it is ridiculed;

Ianab

I'm typing this on my play about Suse Linux machine.
You are right, it's a new browser AND operating system.

More secure than Windows, probably because like the Mac O.S. it's a minority, most of the hackers go for Windows as it's such a big and easy target. Of course Linux is designed to be more secure from the outset, but it does have security holes and live update bug fixes the same as the other O.S. Being open souce, it's actually written by 'hackers' and the source code is freely available. So other programmers can examine it, improve it, or discover the holes and fix them.

Anyway I just downloaded the CD images from the Suse site and installed it on an old PIII machine to play about. So far I'm impressed, Open Office, photo and drawing tools, Email, and 3 web browsers are part of the standard install. I haven't played with Ubuntu, but I believe it's similar.

Sure worth a look.

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Dave Shepard

I am setting up a machine tonight that is running on UBUNTU. In my house it is either Win98SE or a version of LINUX. I don't believe in the control that Win has these days. It has become a monopoly. I'll let everyone know how it works out. My sister finds castoff computers for free/cheap, and wipes the hard drive and instally open source OS on them. Is anyone else running UBUNTU? I would like to find out what programs I can run on it. Thanks.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Fla._Deadheader

I believe it's an "open" OS, so, just about any program can be run with it.

Open, being, if there is a need for something to work on the OS, anyone with the smarts can contribute to the OS. It's NOT like Microcrap.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Ianab

With Linux the are plenty of Free open source programs you can download and run. Many probably come on the distribution CDs already. Open Office (like MS Office), GIMP (A photo editing program), and of course Web browser and Email clients. I run SUSE linux on one of my PCs, but Ubuntu is very similar.

All the basic stuff you need is easy to find and free :)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Yellow Dog will even install on the new PS3 system, if your so inclined.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Real Player has it's own web browser in case anyone hasn't heard or used it. This post was made with Real Player 10. Also has a media player and CD burning tab.

Screenshot below. The hyperlinks and tools in the forum seem to work on it, such as copying the photo gallery image code to the post.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Real Player or Real one, or what ever they call themselves nowiis the company I would like to see disappear not quietly, but with a huge bang. I detest them. I may have said it before and I'll say it again. They have the scruples of a den of snakes that slither in and try to invade every corner of your system.

HATE HATE HATE.

Sorry to be so subtle on this one.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Never knew there were issues. Never had any bad experiences really. Maybe it was brought up earlier and I had a memory lapse. I've had it on my system for a year. But, I only use it when I want to here samples of songs on some sites that do not have other formats. My main browser is Firefox and when I have to access a DirectX site , like MS UNO site, I use IE6.0.

Jeff

Try some google searches, I bet you find a bunch.  Like I hate real player or real player sucks.

Jeff

SwampDonkey

Thanks for the link. Seems like a lot of unhappy campers out there.  Are there no such sites written about Internet Explorer? ;)

Jeff

I dont know, some old swamp donkey converted me to firefox and I never looked back.  :D

SwampDonkey

Well, I guess I saved one more soul.  ;D  :D

SwampDonkey

I'm not advocating anyone switch browsers here, but has anyone heard or used Origyn Web Browser or OWB for short?

It'd being developed for handheld and set top boxes. There is also a working development going on for the New Amiga OS 4. There have been quite few updates on the AMiga side this past week. I don't know a lot about it because the devleoper website is pretty plain and no screen shots. However I have seen screen shots of the Amiga version over in http://www.amiga.net There are still a lot of bugs to work out.

Article on OWB with some screen shots on other platforms