iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Layout for spiral staircase

Started by BCsaw, June 29, 2015, 01:16:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCsaw

Does anyone have the layout to approach building your own spiral staircase?

Specifically need the math to figure out the necessary treads, their size and position of the entrance and top landing.

I want to build one out of metal.

Any help would be appreciated.
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

shinnlinger

You may want to see if there are any building regulations surrounding them in your area.   Depending on the space you have, it can be difficult to get sufficient width on the inside tread. 
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

shinnlinger

The math for number of treads is the same as regular stairs.   Take your total height and divide by your ideal stair rise, say 7.5 inches and adjust from there. 

The width of your tread will be dependent on the width of you opening and center  post.   Say you have an 8 ft opening and an 8inch post.  Your tread would be 48" minus half the post for 44" wide tread.   
Shinnlinger

shinnlinger

Will these be the only stairs serving that floor?   Even if code allows them, moving a king size bed up a spiral staircase can be tough.   If you have acess to larger diameter pipe, you could modularize your build by using two pipe sizes that fit snugly together.   Use the narrower one for your post and cut the larger one at the lengths you need your risers to be.   You could them weld your treads and brackets on each riser in the shop and then slip them on the center post at install time and adjust your entry and exit angle as needed.   
Shinnlinger

BCsaw

These stairs will access the loft in my wood shop. I figured that they would same some floor space and also look cool. The loft will be open, so large objects could go up that way. I was going to use a ladder, but stairs just seem safer.

I was thinking about the modularized design. That would certainly speed up assembly. ;D

Code says 7 7/8" maximum rise for each tread. 7 1/2 seems reasonable.

Thanks for the comments.
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

shinnlinger

What is your total rise and we could calculate your exact riser height
Shinnlinger

Magicman

Make it look like this and it will be super cool.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don_Papenburg

The inner tread width is not as important as the walk line (usually the center line,but at least 12" from center post) should be to the minimum code will allow.
Try several  widths of three steps high to see what is comfortable for you as you walk down. Going up is easiest .  Work your walkline on what you find to be most comfortable.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Thank You Sponsors!