iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

An Overlooked Maintenance Item

Started by Magicman, July 09, 2013, 12:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Overlooked, neglected, or simply did not realize that it was there.  Fine sawdust and ATF had compacted tightly between the Teflon pads on the mast.  So tightly that it took a screwdriver to pry and loosen and remove it.

The spaces between the pads were completely compacted with powdered sawdust.

I'll be sure to keep these overlooked spaces opened up.  Heck, I can even squirt ATF in there now.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Slingshot

Better watch, the head might wobble around a little now without that extra padding.

drobertson

No doubt that is a collection spot, I use short pieces of banding to keep it clean, air would work as well, I do allow a little to build up, kinda figure it works like a wiper when soaked with atf, might be a flawed concept, david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Bibbyman

I got an education from the school of hard knocks to use ATF.  I had a quantity of hydraulic fluid that had lost its label and was likely for a machine I no longer had so I used to oil the chain,  mast and anything else that needed oiling.  The head got to chattering as it went up or down. I figured the gearbox was going out or a bearing on the cog shaft. Talking it over with ElectricAl, he suggested I clean the mast and apply ATF.  I did and the chatter was reduced dramatically.   

I don't know what else may work but I now know what won't work.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

Yup, I have figured out that the OEM's recommendations are for a reason.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

Magic, does your mill still have the middle row of pads on the mast, so 12 pads total instead of 8? WM told me to remove my middle row of pads, they were used on the earlier supers but were found to serve no purpose, only the top and bottom pads make contact with the mast anyhow.
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

Yes, I have the middle pads.   Actually the corner closest to the clutch lever has 4 pads that are spaced only about 4" apart.  This can be seen in the above picture and was the side with the heaviest and most compacted buildup.

I have not had any luck finding a clear picture in the Operator's Manual.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Bibbyman on July 09, 2013, 05:17:54 PM
I got an education from the school of hard knocks to use ATF.  I had a quantity of hydraulic fluid that had lost its label and was likely for a machine I no longer had so I used to oil the chain,  mast and anything else that needed oiling.  The head got to chattering as it went up or down. I figured the gearbox was going out or a bearing on the cog shaft. Talking it over with ElectricAl, he suggested I clean the mast and apply ATF.  I did and the chatter was reduced dramatically.   

I don't know what else may work but I now know what won't work.

I'm taking notes.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

barbender

I'd inquire about them to WM, I don't think they even put those ones on the new mills. I ordered new pads for mine, and WM told me at that time to remove the "extras". I did, and found I wouldn't have had to order new ones- the "in between" pads had never even touched the mast, they were in brand new condition. So I have extras now ;D
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

OK, I thought that I knew the answer since I dug compacted sawdust out from between them, but I made sure today.  My front mast (toward the control box) has four smaller pads on each side.  The rear mast has two much larger pads on each side.

I am thinking that the front mast must carry more of the weight of the Diesel engine.

ElectricAl

We use a lot of ATF, enough that we buy in mini bulk containers.

2 gallon jugs are available at TSC  ( Tractor Supply Company ).
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Peter Drouin

I use a lot too .I paint atf on the mills nut and bolts too'

I use a coffee can when the sawdust gets deep I get a new one :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

fishpimp

Boyz I go to the local transmission shop... They gladly give used fluid away by the 5 gallon.

Peter Drouin

Not a bad idea if it; s not all burnt.
It still has to lube.Ill go look see thanks :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

woodweasel

By mast are youall talking about the post that the head raises and lowers on? 8)

Bandmill Bandit

I was starting to get chatter in the raising of the head so talked to Garry about it at Woodmizer West in BC which is why I changed my daily application of ATF to dry graphite spray on the mast about 300 hours ago.

I first did a very through high pressure hot wash  of the entire mill with extra attention to the mast area to ensure it was very well cleaned as per Garry's recommendation.

The graphite works much better than the ATF. I won't go back to ATF on the mill any where. ALL other locations that I was using ATF on now get the Ams Oil metal protectant product instead. I find that I have a lot less cleaning to worry about and no more sticking saw dust or chatter in the head travel. Just over 300 hours total since I switched from ATF and very happy so far. Total hours on the meter are 1103.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

ElectricAl

Bandmill bandit,

Back in 1996 we tried some spray Dry Graphite. It went on like spray paint.
On the second day the Mast Tubes gummed up and the head stopped moving.
In places the Graphite balled up.

Sense you have had success with Graphic, we must have not gotten the good stuff you have.
Our experiment was a complete disaster.

How about sharing some produce information.

ElectricAl 
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Bandmill Bandit

ok will do but I am a bit tied up at the moment. Will get a pic of the cans too and post em.

Also Garry tole me that a very THROUGH cleaning was paramount to success with the dry graphite AFTER ATF use.

I used a hot foam acid wash at an oil Rig maintenance wash facility and then a high pressure high temp steam rinse.

Gary told me that the graphite would gum up if mixed with the ATF so I made sure to the tune of 150 bucks worth of high pressure, hot foam acid and steam cleaning to make SURE it was gone. My first can was CRC  "Dry Graphite Lubricant" but the one I am on now and prefer is the GUNK Liquid Wrench  version of the "Dry Graphite sec".

There is another product I MAY try soon. It is a dry lubricant that is used in tight tolerance applications   such as VERY large vault type doors and such. It is a bit expensive at 40 bucks a can but i am gona try it.

I sprayed daily for the first 3 or 4 days and let it dry while I was eating lunch. Now I spray a couple of times a week.         
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

ElectricAl

ALrighty then,

Mistake #1 Paper Towel wipe down with not good enough ! ::)

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: ElectricAl on July 12, 2013, 09:41:43 PM
ALrighty then,

Oh well we live and learn.  :P

I used about a gallon of ATF a month before the switch and was having chatter issues with head up down and minor chatter with the log clamp in out up down too some times. Took that apart and cleaned the bushings and had them knurled and then used the Ams Oil metal protectant there. No issues since. My mill will ONLY see ATF on the top rail Felt and if I can figure out a product that will eliminate it there it will be gone there too.   

Migal

Quote from: ElectricAl on July 12, 2013, 09:41:43 PM
ALrighty then,

Maybe you needed some alcohol with that paper towel JK  8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Martha White Nelson

Wow!!  Never thought about that happening!
Martha

Thank You Sponsors!