iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ideal backstop height

Started by Rougespear, December 15, 2015, 01:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

Quote from: Magicman on December 18, 2015, 09:41:52 AM

No, not everyone.  My sawmill has four sides; a front where the tongue/controls are, a back where the taillight is, and two sides. One is the loader side, and the other is the log support side which has the "side supports".

If you are gonna get all tek-nickle like, your mill actually has 6 sides....uhh-huh...  :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Dave Shepard

A WM is actually a trapezoid, so one could argue it has eight sides. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

We all know which part is being referred to and I imagine that at least some of our sawmill "lingo" evolved from circle sawmills.  :P  For me, I choose to call them what my sawmill manufacturer calls them.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Thinking for a circular sawmill, the "stops" would be the knee's and log held by the dogs.   ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

redprospector

I've seen where some manufacturers call them "log squaring arms".
Since I'm the manufacturer of my mill I guess I get to call them what I want to. So I'll call them those thangs that keep the log from rolling off the other side of the bed...if I remember to put them up.  ;)  :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Kbeitz

Backstops or what ever you call them... Am I the only one that has
carrage stops that wont let you saw into the backstops?
My stops has saved me a few blades.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Kbeitz on December 18, 2015, 05:18:11 PM

That would take all the fun and suspense out of sawing! That's no fair!
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

Kbeitz,I saw that same thing on another mill. I forgot the name of it now. Kinda of a bulky-diffeant set up on the band roller guides,but it worked.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John S

I believe that feature is standard on the EZ Boardwalk mills.  I am sure that some of the owners here will confirm.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

tmarch

Yep it is on the Ezboardwalk, not sure if it's on the Jr. tho.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: Kbeitz on December 18, 2015, 05:18:11 PM
On WM and, as I recall, TK mills, the fixed guide roller is located to the outside of the log stops.  A carriage stop like you have would reduce the throat width.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Banjo picker

I have been keeping up with this thread for a while, but i think I'll weigh in on it.  I have never had to use extensions on my mill.  i guess i could have a time or two, but got by without them.  Anyway the other day I was cutting some boards out of a customers logs, and when i put the biggest one on there, i could see that if i had big long stops up they would prevent my mill frame from clearing the log on the other side.  Talking about a 4Post mill.   

If i had longer ones, i would constantly be making sure they were lowered. Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!