iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

And I digress......

Started by hopm, January 21, 2018, 08:56:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopm

The answers I get from the folks on this board are always prompt and more importantly accurate and understandable....of which I am very appreciative.
Sooo....bear with me on one more.
Since I have bed, bumper, and steps off my truck I'm going to have the undercarriage cleaned with a dustless blast system. What are your recommendations for coatings? Asphalt based undercoater, rubber undercoater, prime and paint, oil???
Thanks for your help.....again!!

snowstorm

Sherwin Williams dura plate 235. I have tried lots of different paint on the plow trucks. This stands up better than anything I have use. It's very thick and needs to be thinned a lot .to paint a frame buy a cheap under coat gun. That will put paint in places you will never reach with a brush. And paint under the cab 

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Southside

Like 4 x 4 says - POR 15, apply the base and the sealer coats - just be sure to wear gloves and long sleeves as it won't come off your skin until your skin comes off of you.  When you open the can you will not be impressed if you remember what you paid for the stuff, but once it's applied you will be amazed - dang tough stuff. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

snowstorm

I never tried por 15. Some that have were not impressed. I paid 125 a gal for dura plate with the thinner. How much is por15?

redbeard

Por 15 is more cost than dura plate but holds up alot better. Don't get it on you it's like a tattoo!
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Southside

The stuff I got two summers ago was $45 a quart, but it's thin and goes a long way.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Runningalucas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaBq7jtpyXw

I go with oil spraying.  We lived for decades on the Texas gulf coast.  There were plenty of rusted out 'undercoated' oil field trucks running around.  We learned about oil spraying from an old man who was driving his old army jeep right along the surf.  The jeep looked like new, and that was our first experience with oil spraying.  The guy said he'd had that same Jeep for decades, and for decades ran it all over the beach, and salt water.

The youtube link I posted, is of a guy living in I believe Wisconsin; note this video isn't that old, and the Ford Ranger looks to be around an 86'.   So what, around 30 years of Wisconsin salt, yet the thing looks like new.  What oil spraying will do that undercoating won't even begin to touch is the spray that gets all over any vehicle in winter weather. 
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

Thank You Sponsors!