iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood splitter using one way cylinder.

Started by Joe Hillmann, June 08, 2014, 07:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Hillmann

Has anyone built a wood splitter using a one way cylinder or a pair of one way cylinders?  I just got a tractor up and running that has one way hydraulics and I have a pair of one way rams off a loader that I think could make a good tractor mounted wood splitter.  I am thinking of maybe using a garage door spring to pull the cylinder back after it splits each chunk of wood.

r.man

The cheap electric splitters are one way spring return. They don't even have a valve, just run the motor and pump to split, shut it off to return.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Ivan49

What kind of a tractor has one way hydraulics? Do you have 2 lines going out of it

beenthere

Something like an 8N Ford or TO-30 Fergy comes to mind.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

A Farmall H or M would have single direction hydraulics if it was non-live hydraulics, although some of them had a two way valve that was available.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Joe Hillmann

It's an Allis WD.  I could easily put two way hydraulics on it but the parts would cost more than the tractor.

beenthere

But Joe, you are investing in a splitter... not the tractor.  ;)

Could run a hyd. pump off the tractor PTO too.
And the spring might work (not sure about which garage door spring you have in mind.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

r.man

If money is more important than time, as with me, and you are not bound by convention I think you should consider this one. It mentions the overhead door springs at the 2 minute mark. I love the look and whole idea of this rig. www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIAWfzcTc8o

Joe Hillmann

Right now I have just about everything I need except for the spring and a male quick connect to build a splitter that would be powered off the tractors hydraulics. 

At the moment the only pto pumps I can find for cheap don't have any valves  with them so going that route would become just as expensive as putting two way hydraulics on the tractor.

I had looked at the car axle splitter, it is neat but since I don't have a rear axle sitting around that would be more expensive than going hydraulic.

I am thinking of using a piece of railroad rail for the beam and railroad tie plates for just about everything else.

OH logger

my old Lickity Log Splitter used garage door springs for the return.  very fast and very effective. one heck of a set up on an awesome splitter. the springs last long and are strong. mine had three springs on it. that splitter is older than me and split a  boat load of wood and is still getting used
john

r.man

OH, I will be more or less impressed depending on your age. If you are 100 I am really impressed.

OH logger

close only 33, but that is pretty good considering the roughnecks I bought the splitter from. if I worked for them as long as the splitter I would be broke in two by now!
john

r.man

hacknchop

Friend of mine used coil springs out of a car it scared me a little till i got use to it,came back really fast and no stopping it when you brought the lever to center bang back she came!! ready to split another block.
Often wrong never indoubt

Thank You Sponsors!