iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

For you Husky and Stihl fans ...watch this..

Started by weimedog, October 27, 2007, 12:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weimedog

Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Warbird

Quote from: weimedog on October 27, 2007, 12:53:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rztm0HM9XzE

and this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO6HDaGn6bI

Entertaining.  Not practical but entertaining none the less.  ;D

As for the first video, I don't usually have sawdust flying into the top of my saw like that.  If you do, then you may be doing something wrong.  ;)

As for the second video I can't quite tell but are they even comparing like saws?  It looks like the Stihl they chose may not even have anti-vibration...?

Anyway, it'd be cool to see a true test...  like cutting speeds or something.  But it'd be hard to believe that unless done 'officially', to make sure sharp chains were used, comparable saws, etc.  The short story is, both Stihl's and Husky's are great saws.  ;)

weimedog

View for the entertainment value...actually for those who post..thats the entertainment! Like the old Ford vs. Chevy thing!

Actually the first video does prove something...Stihl's suck more. (chips when conditions are equal)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Warbird

Quote from: weimedog on October 27, 2007, 01:21:09 PM
View for the entertainment value...actually for those who post..thats the entertainment! Like the old Ford vs. Chevy thing!

Actually the first video does prove something...Stihl's suck more. (chips when conditions are equal)

Heh.  Prepare to be entertained!  ;D

As for sucking more air...  that's a good thing.  It directly equates to more power.

weimedog

True enough! Guess that Stihl air filter got "augmented" with more filter material than the Husky one....thus cutting the amout of air available for power? Probably with all that additional filtering..the air was cleaner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuOf5O-tOH4

sawguy21

I attended a Husky dealer meeting that included a demo of rescue saws. The manufacturer supplied bars and chains for other saws but if a package was ordered, they used Husqvarna powerheads. They found the Husky ran longer before the filter plugged up.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Dave Shepard

My 394XP would never have any dirt on the filter, but you would have to pull the recoil on occasion, as that is where it all collected due to the centrifigul force. I really liked that option. Too bad it screached to a halt for absolutely no known reason. >:( >:( >:(

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

dancan

hopefully someone at stihl will see the video and take their saws to the next level of development and improvements .

ladylake

Must have too clean the air filter on the Stihl every 2 minutes after you get feeling back in you hands. I own both and no complaints about either of them.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Deadwood

I have run Stihl and Husky both, but have always said Stihl needs to improve on their air infiltration. Unfortunately the video did not tear apart the piston. If they did they would see that Stihl uses 2 piston rings to Husky's one.

Whats the difference?

Huskies turn up faster on RPMs, but Stihl has more compression and gets better "lug" power down low. Sawing wise you can file your saw to get a bigger bite with the Stihl and less of a bite with the Husky and yet from point a to point b you get the same cut speed.

In my saw shed I got two saws...one of each. Both good saws, but I would be happier id Stilh improved their air filtration and Husky put another piston ring on their saws.

ladylake

I think the higher RPM Husky's come from the exhaust port being a little higher which results in less lower RPM torque.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

dancan

the demo is nice but i cut and blocked up 3 tankfuls of gas in my ms361 last wednesday and did not have any chips or bits of wood at the air filter

ladylake

Quote from: dancan on November 03, 2007, 08:13:01 PM
the demo is nice but i cut and blocked up 3 tankfuls of gas in my ms361 last wednesday and did not have any chips or bits of wood at the air filter
You didn't tell us how long it was before you could type with numb hands.    Steve

dancan

you obviously haven't used a ms361 , the best anti-vibe saw they have and worth every penny .
besides i don't need much to work to type with my 2 fingers  :D

ladylake

Quote from: dancan on November 04, 2007, 06:45:38 PM
you obviously haven't used a ms361 , the best anti-vibe saw they have and worth every penny .
Dan  Was just poking a little fun at that video. Has nothing to do with the real world. Sounds like you use twice as many fingers to type with as I do.   Steve

SawTroll

Quote from: dancan on November 04, 2007, 06:45:38 PM

You are right - the vibe dampening is very good, and the air filtration better than on most other Stihls, on the 361.

I believe it will remain my favourite saw for a long time...... :) 8) 8)
Information collector.

sawguy21

dancan

yes i had an 034 as a back-up saw but i sold it to buy a used ms361 for a back-up
after using a 361 the 034 just doesn't feel as smooth
i have used a couple of huskey's and they felt similar to the 361 (the mounts were similar) , don't care who invented them first , as long as they keep improving i'll keep smiling  8)
as for typing if i need to get all 10 fingers going i get my daughter to do it  :) other tthan that i stick with 2 that sometimes get mixed up  :D

sawguy21

Good to hear from you dancan, was afraid you had been blown halfway to Iceland by now.

oldsaw

Wow, that changes everything.  I guess I will have to continue buying Huskies and Stihls, and keep my old Homies.  Wait, it didn't change anything.

My 3120 has that defective Stihl style air filtration system, it must be a total piece of crap.  Too bad I can't afford to replace it.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Lanier_Lurker

Uh, wait a minute.

I'm no expert by any measure, but I'm no fool either.

In the first video, what is the deal with the big gap between the air filter "cover" and the main housing?  Seems pretty obvious that is how all the dust is getting in.

Is there some problem with the Stihl cover, and that is the point of the video?  ???

SawTroll

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 05, 2007, 09:56:11 AM
:o I thought you bled straight orange.  :D

Not at all, but a Husky tends to get the nod more often than not, even though they generally are more expensive that the Stihls here.

Why not Jonsered??? - simply a matter of handlebar angle and dealer quality... :)
Information collector.

sawguy21

L.L. Stihl mounts the a/f and carburetor to the handle and utilizes a flexible intake boot between the carb and cylinder. Husqvarna, on the other hand, has the the carb bolted to the cylinder and the handle is separate. Their intake system has the incoming air draw past the flywheel where, in theory, the larger particulate is removed before reaching the filter.
I prefer the latter as I saw problems with the Stihl 038AV in deep snow. The snow would pack in around the filter and melt then freeze when the saw was shut off.
Saw Troll, I was just teasing you. I recently sold a Husky to the local Scandinavian society. No way they would look at a Stihl. :D

SawTroll

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 08, 2007, 10:05:04 AM
Saw Troll, I was just teasing you. I recently sold a Husky to the local Scandinavian society. No way they would look at a Stihl. :D

I thought so, but the 361 is a standout in the stihl lineup - it mainly acts like a Husky xp, for accelleration and power-band (going higher up, and at least as far down) - I believe the 4-channel cylinder design is the cause.
Information collector.

Chris J

In the first vid, isn't that a K&N performance filter on the Stihl, which would explain the gap between the cover & the housing?  As I understand it they require special lubricating & cleaning.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Thank You Sponsors!