iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A "Steal" on a Stihl!

Started by Delawhere Jack, May 28, 2012, 09:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

I picked up a Stihl MS440 Magnum on Sunday for $300. It's used, but not abused. I was headed to an auction Saturday afternoon and saw a garage sale sign. Lately I've given up on garage sales, there mostly a bunch of broken plastic junk and beanie babies. But this guy had "Tools" written on both sides of the sign.

I found the 440 in the garage and asked about it, he said $300, but I didn't have the much cash on me. I thought about it overnight and went back Sunday evening. I think he was having second thoughts about the price, so I quickly stuck three Franklins in his hand. ;D He then said, "You know, that's about a $1,000 saw", I told him that they're going for about $840 new, and I "got out of Dodge!" asap!

All the way home I'm singing a little happy song to myself, "I got a steal on Stihl saw!-I got a steal on Stihl saw!"

Got home, downloaded the owners manual, did a little overdue maintanance on it and she fired right up with some fresh gas!

The chain is another story, it's been sharpened (badly) so many times I'm surprised it still cuts at all. The rakers were never filed, and there is .000" - .020" clearance for the cutters.  All of the local shops were closed today, so I'll have to pick up some new chains tomorrow.

Compression is good, chain brake works, it fires on 3-4 pulls, no stripped threads, 25" bar, WOO-HOO!!! 8)

Delawhere Jack

Forgot to ask, what's a good chain for bucking and limbing hardwoods up to say 36"? I don't intend to do much if any felling. The 25" bar and saw size are streching my comfort zone a little, I'm comfortable running saws 16"-20", and I've got a good instinct for keeping all of my limbs and digits attached. I'm thinking maybe I should stick with one of the "consumer" chains, at least until I get a feel for the saw. Or would I be ok running a full skip chain? I'm not concerned about taking an extra 60 seconds to buck a big log so much as I am with running a larger saw than I've run before.

T Welsh

Delawhere Jack, good score! I run either Stihl 33rsc or Oregon 72 lgx. these are full comp round ground chisel chains

Jemclimber

+1, no need for a 44 to run skip on a 20" or 25" bar, it has plenty of power for a bar that size. 
lt15

SPD748

That IS a deal my friend! I paid $650 each for a pair of new 440's, 5 years ago. They have been my workhorse for firewood and general property maintenance. As for the chain, I agree with Jem, this saw has more than enough power to run a ~25" bar full of teeth. I use a Woodland Pro 24" bar with 84 links of 30RC Woodland chain. This combination has worked well for me.

Congratulations on the saw!

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

Delawhere Jack

DANG! $34 for a chain!  :'(

I was expecting $20-25. I bought one since I really need it, but it looks like I'll need to shop around a little.

Al_Smith

If it is a Stihl brand chain that's about the going price I'd say .Keep in mind that Stihl branded chain is about the most robust chain made and will outlast the others in longgevity .

Now that old chain if there's any cutter left at all can be salvaged .Just refile it if you know how and take the rakers down to 25 thou with a raker guide and a small flat file .If you don't know how to file practice on it anyway then in time you will know how .

Thank You Sponsors!