iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood processor recommendations

Started by Case1030, December 10, 2019, 02:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Case1030

Hello I'm looking for some recommendations on reliable wood processor brands that are capable of cutting/splitting up to 17inch diameter logs, and an output conveyor. 

For simplicity sake only looking at hydraulic bar, not circular models.

Thanks in advance to any members that are able to help!

K-Guy

I would look for threads on this in the firewood section.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Case1030

Quote from: K-Guy on December 10, 2019, 04:25:22 PM
I would look for threads on this in the firewood section.
Unless I'm using the search bar incorrectly, not been able to find a proper review on the main processor brands. I found one guy complain about the Japas vbelts always blowing and to stick with hydraulic ran processor to avoid break down which is great to know! 
I'm looking for first hand experience from users if anyone is able to give input.
The 15 inch processors seem easy to come by, but the 17-18 inch which I need for majority of my logs seem difficult to find.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Sawmill & Woodlot magazine has a review of firewood processors every couple of years.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

K-Guy

Quote from: Case1030 on December 10, 2019, 05:06:05 PMUnless I'm using the search bar incorrectly, not been able to find a proper review on the main processor brands.

People on here can only made recommendations and not bad mouth any company, so reviews are not going to be found here but firewood guys will tell you about what they like.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Case1030

Quote from: K-Guy on December 11, 2019, 08:09:00 AM
Quote from: Case1030 on December 10, 2019, 05:06:05 PMUnless I'm using the search bar incorrectly, not been able to find a proper review on the main processor brands.

People on here can only made recommendations and not bad mouth any company, so reviews are not going to be found here but firewood guys will tell you about what they like.
Thanks didn't know that. Makes sense now.

Traci

We just purchased a Hud-son Badge and so far we like it! We chose this one because of the diameter at 18" (but have cut bigger), the pull down saw to cut, the safety features such as emergency shut down on same side as operator, winches logs into tray as we have long tree top logs and they aren't perfect, i think it has a 50' winch cable, can work on chain and blade like a regular chainsaw, splitter returns on its own when you press it back once and can proceed to cut next log. It is portable with a little effort. There are many youtube videos but don't do it justice. It is quite pricey and fenders are plastic. We researched many and wrote them each down and started eliminating until we narrowed down to what we needed/wanted. We are now needing an elevator because the pile stacks up really fast at end of splitter. Getting a cheaper used farm elevator converted to gas. Not really meant for road towing, but can do 35 mph, no tail lights. Will fit on a 6x12 trailer at the smallest and is approx 2000 lbs. Any questions feel free to ask.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."
Robert Brault

Case1030

Thanks for your help. Most likely have a lineup on a 1820 cord king with 24 inch bar + 12 foot live deck.

I'll keep everyone updated when/if I plan on picking it up.

teakwood

@BargeMonkey has vast experience with firewood processors and can maybe chime in
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

BargeMonkey

Quote from: teakwood on December 24, 2019, 05:41:16 PM
@BargeMonkey has vast experience with firewood processors and can maybe chime in
2040 with 3/4 if your into the real nasty wood. Production, buy a circle saw and never look back, I wouldn't run a .404 processor again if it was free. 🤣 

barbender

I'm always scratching my head when you guys talk about 3/4 pitch. All I have experience with is around our Ponsse CTL logging processors, and a bit with firewood processors- both with .404 chain. The guys I know that came from logging processors that ran 3/4 to the Ponsse machines with .404 said they hated the 3/4. They said it cut really slow.
Too many irons in the fire

BargeMonkey

It might be slower ? Depending on what it's on, I've seen of the newer .404 harvesters and they are fast. Its durability, that .404 doesnt hold up in the hardwood, any mud, I dealt with it for yrs and hated it. 3/4 lasts practically forever, I figure 100mdft to a chain and close to 3/4-1mil ft to a bar. I bought my slasher with 1 new bar, I've bought 1 bar and still have both bars, slashed mountains of wood on it for 8+yrs now, it's just not the same. I found an FT-240 3/4 head for sale with EVERYTHING for pretty cheap money, just need to find something to hang it on. 🤣

Thank You Sponsors!