iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Meat pies!

Started by sbishop, November 30, 2012, 08:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

You can make the same pie from sweet potato or even carrots. Nothing unique about pumpkin other than Halloween. Yet, a Halloween pumpkin, doesn't make a very good pie. A wet mess of slop more like it. Need a good variety meant for pie making. Same can be said for squash. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 02, 2012, 07:42:26 PM
Well that term of "Moose" I was rather niave about at15-16 years of age but you might be on to something .

Oh great, something else I'm naive about. I just thought referring to someone, man or woman, as a moose, was a mild insult meaning they were big, ugly, and maybe a little bit stupid. And I grew up in Maine, where (I suppose) we had every kind of moose.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

thecfarm

Okrafarmer,do I need to tell you to stop posting again?  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Okrafarmer

Quote from: thecfarm on December 02, 2012, 08:24:38 PM
Okrafarmer,do I need to tell you to stop posting again?  ;D

I was home-schooled; I could read at age 3, but I was spared from a lot of the ugly secrets of the world!  :)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

sandhills

You're lucky  :).  To be honest I'd never heard that definition for "moose" either.

thecfarm

I understand the home school part. BUT no friends,cousins,brothers,sisters either.  :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

It's Koeran slang for a paid hooker .Now moose lips you're just going to have to Google it .There's just somethings you don't learn being home schooled but then that could  be determined in whos home I suppose .

Speaking of moose though omitting the lip portion I've never had it.Deer ,elk ,buffalo ,antelope but no moose .

Okrafarmer

Quote from: thecfarm on December 02, 2012, 09:20:53 PM
I understand the home school part. BUT no friends,cousins,brothers,sisters either.  :o

I had 4 sisters, one brother, many cousins (a few of whom lived nearby), quite a few friends, and a large number of acquaintances. Most of them didn't use bad words on a regular basis. Naturally, I learned quite a few, but not all.   ;D

I did go to summer camp four different years, learned some interesting things from the city kids.  :-\

Al_Smith

Oh ya done did it now I'm on a roll ,my favorite moose story .

I was in the navy with a guy from Rangley Maine  nearly on the Canadian border .While in high school him and his buddies would run their trap lines early in the morning before school.One crisp morning standing the middle of a gravel road was a big old bull moose so his buddy plugged it right between the running lights with a 30:06 ,plop .

Then they realized that thing was in Canada by about 100 feet,oh no .Real quick they field dress it,hid the  evidence
as best they could and pulled that heavy rascal over the border with a pick up truck and hid it .
Well they didn't have a moose permit in Maine either .So they sneak back about dark and retrieved bullwinkle and hung him in a barn so they could butcher it .

Okay here it is all 1500 pounds or whatever they weigh with a back as wide and thick as a Georgia mule .They had no way to cut him into .Aha ,chainsaw ,Homelite as a matter of  fact .So they butcher the moose with a chainsaw and picked his bones all winter and no one was the wiser .And so it went in Rangley Maine probabley around 1965 .

Okrafarmer

He's lucky my grandfather didn't get ahold of him. But back in '65 I think he was working around Belgrade Lakes, then in the '70's or so, he went up to Daquam and worked the border a good long while. He told lots of tales of moose poaching. Usually it was Canadians sneaking across and poaching moose and dragging them back across. (I say usually, what I mean is, that is what I usually remember him telling about). He caught quite a few poachers in his day.

I think your buddy is beyond the statute of limitations now.  ;D

SwampDonkey

Probably back in 1965 the border wasn't all that well brushed out and they didn't know where they was to begin with. Around that time some folks began invading old abandoned farms here in NB living in makeshift camps and shelters to escape a war.  A little piece of moose meat probably tasted pretty good that first winter. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Well poor old Greg never made it ,auto accident 7 mile bridge Marathon Florida Christmas eve 1967 .

That aside I heard some interesting stories of life in the far northern portions of Maine .Truth be known other than the terrain it probabley didn't differ that much from life in rural Ohio during that same period except the winters were a little more harsh in Maine plus the mooses Bullwinkle and all .

thecfarm

Al,I have no idea where Northeast,OH is. But we went to Sugarcreek,Holmes County, and if someone got me there without me knowing it,I would still think I was in Maine.Even the homes and farms were the same way. The trees looked a lot like Maine too.

Al_Smith

Holmes county has a large settlement of Amish and probabley the most dense growths of oaks in the state of Ohio . Little towns like Berlin and Kidron just abound with "Amish style "furniture stores which attract big money spenders out of Cleveland,Pittsburgh etc .

One praticulary interesting place is Lehmans non electric ,a hardware store that is like going back in time to about 1920 .https://www.lehmans.com/?partner_id=bcbgoog&9gtype=search&9gkw=lehman's%20non-electric&9gad=6504658604.1&9gag=1868051564&gclid=CPu0qrCX_rMCFegWMgodA2AA8A .

You can get off the beaten path and drive country roads mostly gravel and find literally millons of board feet of the finest furniture grade oak being air drying  at the many sawmills in the area .

Interestingly though  although they advertise the fine furniture as "Amish "style truth be known probabley 98 percent of it is made on CNC machinery .

That side of the state BTW is not flat ground like the side I live on .It looks more like West Virginia than Ohio .Very beautiful country though and well worth the time to make a little trip if you ever get  the occasion to .

sbishop

Not sure how we went from meat pie to moose lips.... :D

Al_Smith

It all started out with Bullwinkles  second cousin George  being baked in a meat pie .Not to be confused with 4 and 20 blackbirds .

On that it was never specified if they were greckles or crows or turkey buzzards for that matter . Depends on the size of the pie I suppose ,moose lips optional .--grits on the side for some --and a partridge in a pear tree .

thecfarm

That's why we went, to see the Amish.Took a BIG step back in time there. They were still using the old horse drawn equipment there. I think I even saw a 4 foot sickle bar mower like what I have here. They was even putting hay in loose and was using a hay loader too. I really enjoyed going there.We went to both lehman's. A cow got out on main street of Kidron and headed for the wife brand new VW bug.
Al,you must live over by Sydney,OH? Think I spelled that wrong. The place I use to work for had a plant over in Sydney,Formed Fiber. The guys that went out there said it was flat.

Al_Smith

About 30 miles north of Sidney ,near Lima .Even more flat if you can imagine that .

SwampDonkey

Not flat here, we have rolling hillsides because we are on the edge of the Appalachians. But further south it turns to undulating as the ocean used to cover it.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 05, 2012, 05:00:13 AM
Not flat here, we have rolling hillsides because we are on the edge of the Appalachians. But further south it turns to undulating as the ocean used to cover it.

Funny how it all flattens out at sea level-- the ocean's really flat! Or curved, to be even more accurate. Then again, in the Bay of Fundy, it's hard to say just where sea level is.

Okrafarmer

But meat pies are really really yummy.

SwampDonkey

The tide comes up the Saint John River to Fredericton actually. The bottom of the river is about 3 metres below sea level.

sbishop

SD, the tide goes out of Frediricton twice has high when a policitian double flushes... :D

Okrafarmer

Quote from: sbishop on December 06, 2012, 09:01:25 PM
SD, the tide goes out of Frediricton twice has high when a policitian double flushes... :D

Ohhhh, is THAT what happened to Maine over the years?! Was on the wrong end of Bay of Fundy!

martyinmi

Here's my example of a meat pie. Seared pork and beef roasts, then slow cooked on the Kamado grill at 250 for 6 hours. Added carrots, potatoes, onions, and seasonings, then baked for @ 350* until golden. Made it last Sunday. Gone by Tuesday.
Eatin' Kamado grilled t-bones today! Time for a jog I'm afraid!

No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Thank You Sponsors!