iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deck screws instead of nails?

Started by hackberry jake, October 21, 2012, 02:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

Not sure on shear strength, but I use the green torx head deck screws for most of my constuction.  The phillips strip out to easy and the galvanized coating is second to the green coating.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sparky1

I always use nails when framing, but then screws to hold on what ever im doing typically drywall or siding. I mainly use nails when framing because i have a framing nailer.. 
Shaun J

tyb525

Framing nailers are nice to frame fast with, but I don't own one and they are fairly $$$, for a big project I would probably get one. For smaller framing projects I use screws and an impact driver, I find it's easier to control exactly where they go, and their end-grain holding is better than nails.

I like putting headers together first with a few screws, two on each end and one or two in the middle, they draw warped boards together really well. Since my boss normally only has brittle 3" drywall screws and not deck screws, I pepper some framing nails in for added shear strength.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Bandmill Bandit

I still feel sorry for y'all south of the 49th. Phillips head screws are so useless. Roberts first choice and torx second for me.

On decking fasting I have gone to the steel strips that you nail/screw to the joist and then attach the decking material with 1 inch # 8 stainless screws from underneath. (robertson of course). It is amazing how much better the decking lasts when fastend this way. No holes for moisture to penetrate and the sliver factor is drastically reduced   
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Thank You Sponsors!