iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

440D/3325 winch issues.

Started by BargeMonkey, March 27, 2014, 11:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem-
Winch pulls hard but not the band- winch slowly creeps back in- I pulled the clutch pack apart tonight and cleaned and checked everything, no busted shaft bearing, nothing obvious. When the winch sets running it makes a "chucking noise" like the clutch plates are banging into each other but the winch is in neutral.  Im beginning to think its a problem in the winch valve ?

coxy

how are the brake springs     on our 3315 the springs got week and would let it creep off even if we put more preload on the band

BargeMonkey

Brake springs are good. Springs inside the pressure plate are good. Winch was rebuild 2 years ago by nortrax and now recently she has started to act up. Extremely hard to pull, and makes a chatter noise when in neutral. Im going to pull the winch valve apart saturday.

coxy

how are the inner bearings  stick a big bar in by the drum and see if it moves   bad bearing will have a drag  just a thought   don't know about the chatter

tj240

it does sound like it could be your valve. what part of new york you from? i know a guy buy me that used to work on the 440d i used to run. he knew alot about deeres
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

BargeMonkey

Im in "scary county" about 1 hour west of Albany. I have a touch of bearing play but not enough to drag like this. Im going to buy another valve from wolf creek and get this one rebuild if nortrax ever decide's to answer the phone. Had this winch rebuild 2x by nortrax a few years ago, first time they let the new guy in the shop do it and it blew apart within 20 minutes of putting it on. It was rebuild for free after that.  8)

Offthebeatenpath

I'll be watching this thread to learn the diagnosis.  Good luck and keep us posted.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

doghunter

replace the packing on the clutch pressure plate my 440b used to do the same thing remove the clutch cover place it on top of a bucket face down put air in the hose port and blow it apart the rubber rings will be hard and cause just enough drag to spool the cable back in check the piston and cover plate for any nicks or burrs  also a good idea to change the oil in the winch and clean the pump inlet screen while your doing this I did this twice in the 23 years we had the 440 b 

BargeMonkey

I cleaned everything pretty good the other night, pulled the "piston & puck" out and cleaned all the plates up. The winch wanting to pull itself in is gone, now it just pull out really badly. Going to fight with it till my jack grapple gets dropped off hopefully this weekend and then tear it down.

coxy

try running the rpms a little higher and see if the free spool works  we have to do this some times on the dozer  1500rpms works the best

Thank You Sponsors!