iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skid Steer Logging Winch

Started by Horselog, March 28, 2014, 06:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horselog

I believe I posted something in the past related to this, but I'm looking for input regarding a skid steer mounted hydraulic logging winch.  I have an LS190 New Holland that I mostly use for loading trucks that I was thinking about getting a winch for to use on steep ground logging, which I have some of on an upcoming job.  My other option would be to hire someone with a cable skidder to help get out stuff in those areas, but I wouldn't mind having an in-house option.  It would just be for certain types of work, not a full-time logging application.

I see that Farmi makes one with a blade and other little features that seem nice, has anyone used one of them?  BSG also has one.  Any input on features to look for in a winch?
Benjamin Harris
Appalachian Mountains of Virginia
horse_logger@me.com

BargeMonkey

Ive looked at the BSG grapple with the winch option, for the money its pricey but its a handy attachment. Cable all your stuff up to you and hook on and drag them over. I have a grapple attachment and dont buy one that doesnt 360, its a pain.

Offthebeatenpath

I have a Fecon rotating grapple for the front of my ASV RC-60 skid steer and I've thought about adding a hydraulic winch to it.  I've held back for the following reasons:
1. price
2. the grapple already taxes my 6500 pound machine and the extra weight of the winch would further reduce lifting capacity
3. I rigged a 9000# electric winch to a homemade arch on the back that works very well for certain applications.  That way I can maneuver short distances and lift logs with the grapple, but winch in and skid logs while driving forward
4. I bought a small cable skidder

I have photos in my gallery and a video of the skid steer in action in an earlier thread, although I forget the name of the thread.

I was able to skid out a bunch of loads with that skid steer set up with virtually no impact and some long distance winching.  Obviously, limbing and some bucking must be done where the tree falls when using equipment of that size.

Jed
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

Offthebeatenpath

It's probably obvious, but the terrain where you can use a skid steer effectively is very limited.  No good on ice or steep hills, horrible on cross slope.  Nevertheless it can be very effective in certain settings.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

Stephen Alford

Hey Horselog,just a couple thoughts on working with a hydraulic winch. To put some  perspective on my response I have not worked with skidsteers. The hydraulic winch I use was purchased  24 years ago for use on a 4x4 tractor.  The first decision was the size of hydraulic motor. It came in an  8, 10 and 12.  The trade off was speed versus power.  Went with the 10 no complaints. Second decision was cable size .  Use a 100' 1/2" main line (same as on skidder). Look at Bill M photos. He built a nice hourglass fairlead to help with spooling.  To spool on I adjust the line of tug with the tractor. The next issue would be how the cable is attached to the winch. This has to be efficient. Do you have pics of how the cable is attached on your unit ?

Real handy for urban tree removal.

Use it alot for removing clumps. Once the twitch comes together, its bucked and then hauled out with the grapple on the back of the tractor. Quite a lot of use on building lots generally 210'x210' . Works well for what I do.  :)
logon

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JohnM

Quote from: Offthebeatenpath on March 28, 2014, 10:01:09 PM
4. I bought a small cable skidder
:D :D  Jed holding his trump card for the last hand. :D ;D  That cracked me up. :)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Offthebeatenpath

Don't try playing poker with me John. 

Stephen- Nice pics, esp. of the "urban" tree removal.  Guess that's about as densely populated as it gets up your way...

Thanks for posting the video Ray.

Jed

Thank You Sponsors!