iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Another 'nother Laptop Question??

Started by Magicman, April 05, 2015, 08:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I got this laptop a couple of months ago and finally got all of my bookmarks, etc. like I want them.  Well the SD slot quit reading cards and the warranty folks want to replace the laptop with a new one.  That is OK, but what about my stuff?  They said:
QuoteUnfortunately when the computer comes back here it will be for replacement, as we are not responsible for any Data or anything like that. In this case you would have to back that stuff up before sending it back.

I have done a "backup" on a disc every week since I have had it.  Does the backup disc know all of my saved stuff or do I need to do some copying?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clearcut

It's likely to be all backed up, but not guaranteed. It really depends on the software used for the back up, and how that software is configured. Often applications, and sometimes their settings are not saved explicitly.

One option is to clone your laptop's hard disk to an equal or larger sized external hard drive. This should make an exact copy of the laptop's drive including all settings. Assuming that you use Windows - Driveimage XML, Clonezilla, and Macrium Reflect are apps with good reviews. I used DriveImage a while ago (XP) with good results - but that is ancient history.

Best of luck.

Carbon sequestered upon request.

Ianab

I agree with the "Probably". Depends if the backup program is set up and working properly. I've had clients happily going through the motions of doing backups for years, just it wasn't their actual data that was getting copied, or the copy wasn't actually working.

I like to do a "Quick and Dirty" backup before I work on anything like that. Just take a copy of the "My Documents", "Pictures" "Movies", "Music" and Favourites. (and anything else that looks important that they may have created.  Copy that to a portable hard drive and stick it up on the shelf. That way you know you can get their files back if the disk needs to be wiped or dies completely.

Software should be able to be reinstalled from disks or downloads. If it can't you are asking for trouble already.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

LeeB

I recently had a new hard drive installed in my old laptop and found out the hard way that software and programs were not transferred. was none happy about this. Fortunately I had most of it on disks. I did have to buy an external disc reader though. My old one had bit the dust. Also used it to put some stuff on my new laptop. It doesn't have a disc reader at all, nor a Ethernet jack. would not have bought it if I had been paying more attention. at's what happens when you are in a hurry.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Thanks, this backup thing that I do is something that is and always has been programed within the laptop.  Every Sunday about 7PM it tells me to stick the previous disc in.  When that one fills up it tells me to label another.  I have no idea what is actually on any of them.

This is actually my "cheap & dirty" spare/backup laptop anyway.  I will do the copy with my Documents & Pictures.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman