iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Painting pressure treated lumber?

Started by Warbird, September 08, 2009, 11:21:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warbird

Hey guys.  I've searched around and opinions vary on whether you can paint pressure treated wood.  I just bought a couple of 4x4's to use in some deck repair.  They are pressure treated and reddish/orange in color.  They seem sort of damp to the touch but might just be cool.  My hands turned orange from handling them.

Any of you guys ever tried painting lumber treated in such a way?  Looking for some real world experience.

Radar67

Most of the pressure treated wood I have dealt with is still wet when I get it. After a little time it will dry out, crack, warp, bow, etc. Once it dries, I've had no problem painting with oil based paints.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

beenthere

However, best not to paint pressure treated. Best to use a semi-transparent stain.

Oil based paints have been known to be a problem, in due time. And when some of the paint sticks tight, with some blistering or peeling off, the real frustration comes when trying to correct that problem.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

gary

I wait 1 year before painting. Have had no problems after that. Paint with latex or oil.

florida

We use a lot of PT on decks and rails and paint all of it. You have to let it dry first though or it will peel. We shoot for at least 3 months of hot, Florida weather then sand, prime and topcoat. It lasts just fine.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Warbird

Thanks guys.  Based on your experiences and more research I've done, I will paint the existing wood, put in the new pressure treated stuff and let it sit all winter.  Late next summer, we'll paint it or I will be building a new deck, if I can afford it.

Magicman

I just re-stained some pressure treated boards this weekend.  After drying, I had stained them with Benjamin Moore Semi-Transparent 13 years ago.  It didn't come off, just sun faded.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!