iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Umpires

Started by Marty, June 12, 2019, 08:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marty

I've been Umpiring for about 9 years. My oldest son Ben (21 years) started when he was 16. Now my younger son Luke (17 years) and Nephew Pierce (16 years) have started. We recently had the opportunity to call a game together. Made my day.

In the pic. Me(Marty), Luke, Ben, and Pierce.

sawguy21

Good for you. It is a very challenging job with little appreciation from players or fans but still very satisfying.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

firefighter ontheside

That's pretty neat!
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Magicman

And you might wonder why I am proud?  ???

He probably won't tell you but last year Marty was selected as....

Umpire of the Year in Mississippi's Southern District, and this year he has been selected to umpire some of the World Series Games.  He calls um and I saws um.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Way to go, Marty!!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bruno of NH

Great job and a very hard one with the way folks are today.
Their having a hard time getting umpires around here. 
No new ones are coming up.
Thank you and your family
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

Marty in The World Series!!! Good for you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Raider Bill

I'm another kind of Umpire. I Umpire disputes on car insurance meditations.
Just did one on a Humvee.
YER  OUT! :D :D

I'm thinking you guys have more fun than I do. ;)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

GAB

Quote from: Raider Bill on June 13, 2019, 07:54:49 AM
I'm another kind of Umpire. I Umpire disputes on car insurance meditations.
Just did one on a Humvee.
YER  OUT! :D :D

I'm thinking you guys have more fun than I do. ;)
I'm not sure about the fun part however they are closer to the action!
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

John Mc

I have a friend who Refs High School hockey games in the Chicago area. He says they are having a hard time getting people to ref. They can deal with the kids - most of whom are no problem. It's the parents and some of the coaches who are the real problem. He has ejected a number of parents from the games.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Pine Ridge

I'm happy for you, getting to spend time with your family in sports is great. My daughter played high school basketball, graduated in 2014, she had alot of success in her career. The thing that i've enjoyed the most in my life was watching "my kid" play the game we both love, and i do miss it ! Enjoy every minute of it, you will never regret it.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

sawguy21

Quote from: John Mc on June 13, 2019, 09:03:18 AM
I have a friend who Refs High School hockey games in the Chicago area. He says they are having a hard time getting people to ref. They can deal with the kids - most of whom are no problem. It's the parents and some of the coaches who are the real problem. He has ejected a number of parents from the games.
I umpired community league ball one season aand it was the same. The younger kids were fun but the older ones started to develop real egos along with some parents and coaches. I dropped out for the following year because of the politics.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Raider Bill

Quote from: Marty on June 12, 2019, 08:17:19 PM
I've been Umpiring for about 9 years. My oldest son Ben (21 years) started when he was 16. Now my younger son Luke (17 years) and Nephew Pierce (16 years) have started. We recently had the opportunity to call a game together. Made my day.

In the pic. Me(Marty), Luke, Ben, and Pierce.

Marty,
I'm guessing there a line up for umpires? Do you specialize in say home vs first base? are you specifically trained for each position, seniority decides, how's that done? 
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Marty

Bruno,
We have a hard time keeping young umpires too. Due to parents and coaches. I try to work with the younger guys so I can beat back the wolves. 

Marty

Raider Bill,
We just split the plate and field duty as we want in youth games. The only time I am assigned plate or field is in High School. We normally have 2 games, Jr. Varsity and Varsity. The more experienced normally gets the Varsity. If you Umpire you are expected to work both. No specializing. 

Bruno of NH

My friend former Boston Red Sox pitcher coaches Legion baseball, it big in this area.
Said on the radio show last week, if new Umps don't come up baseball might fade out in NH.
Sad
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

DPatton

Quote from: Magicman on June 12, 2019, 10:03:03 PM
And you might wonder why I am proud?  ???

He probably won't tell you but last year Marty was selected as....

Umpire of the Year in Mississippi's Southern District, and this year he has been selected to umpire some of the World Series Games.  He calls um and I saws um.   :)
That's really some kind of achievement Marty, congratulations. Magic will I be seeing you and Pat at any of the games this year? After all you got a team and a son gonna be there.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Magicman

Are you saying that you didn't see us last night??  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DPatton

I guess I am saying I didn't see y'all Lynn, but I will be looking for you tomorrow night for sure! Are you really in town? And if you are Stephanie and I would be honored to take you and that lovely wife of yours out for dinner ahead of Sunday nights game!
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

D & S Sawmill Services

Magicman

Oh no Doug, I was spoofing.  The only "game" that I was interested in Friday & Saturday was on the JD dragging a Bushhog.  :-X

DPatton

Quote from: Magicman on June 16, 2019, 07:40:51 AM
Oh no Doug, I was spoofing.  The only "game" that I was interested in Friday & Saturday was on the JD dragging a Bushhog.  :-X
:D Lynn I was pretty sure you were pulling my leg so I figured my reply would get to the truth. However the offer still stands should you want to drive to Omaha for supper tonight! ;)

D & S Sawmill Services

DPatton

Marty,

I don't know if you were on the field Sunday night but there was some very good play call happening during game 4. Lots of close calls at first base that went under review and the calls were correct every time.

D & S Sawmill Services

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on June 12, 2019, 10:03:03 PMhe has been selected to umpire some of the World Series Games.
Doug, I didn't say that he was Umpiring any of the College World Series games.  Younger folks have World Series Too.

DPatton

::) ::) ::)Well there I go assuming you were talking about the CWS..... :-\ silly me.

D & S Sawmill Services

Magicman

Here is a picture that I took last night with Marty and Ben Umpiring.

Grandson Ben behind the plate and Marty in the infield.  I zeroed the picture in and missed catching Grandson Luke on first base. 

Thank You Sponsors!