iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Calling all weldings :)

Started by sbishop, September 10, 2007, 03:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbishop

Hi, i'm looking for weld up a gate using round tubing. Just wondering if there is any tips or tricks on cutting 45/90 degree angles and matching it up to round tubing?

My gate will be made out of 2 1/2" round tubing. thanks for any advice

Sbishop

DanG

The easiest way is to flatten the end of the abbutting piece and cut your angle on the flat part. 
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Captain

I like a drill press and a hole saw....

sbishop

Captain, what size holesaw for 2 1/2" tubing? 2 1/2"?

Dang, to get a flat end, just heat and hammer it flat?

Thanks
Sbishop

IMERC

slit the stiles...
flatten rails...
insert the rails into the slits...
weld...

use a hole saw and cut a concave end on the rail...
use the sane size holesaw as the OD of the tubing...
butt  the rail to the stile...
weld...

mame sure there is a vent hole in the rails to allow the welding gasses to escape so you don't blow out the weld as yur welding..
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

sbishop

Quoteslit the stiles...
flatten rails...
weld...

Can you draw me a picture, thanks

Sbishop

IMERC

Quote from: sbishop on September 10, 2007, 06:01:49 PM
Quoteslit the stiles...
flatten rails...
weld...

Can you draw me a picture, thanks

Sbishop

draw a picture??
you can't be seroius???

the horizontal pieces are the rails...
the verticals are stiles...

lay the rail on a piece of steel and smack the end with a BFH.....
rotate the rail over and smack that side...
keep at it till ya have pinched the end of the rail closed...
if you hit one side and then the other you will get a nicely closed up end...
hit as often as required...

if you have a press ... flatten with that instead...

let's just say that the flattened end is 2" across and 3/8 thick.... (yur actual may vary)
drill 1/2" hole in the stile aprox 2" OC on above the other where you want the rail to be...
use yur trusty jig saw with a metal cutting blade and conect the holes...

the more faster easier way is to use a right angle grinder with a cut off wheel to make the slots from the get go...

insert the flattened of the rail into the slot and weld it up...

if you miss the slot size or it's some place where it shouldn't be... don't sweat it....
you have a welder... you can fix any booboo ya make...

practice on some scrap....

most pipe and tube will have a seam runnung the length of it.. use that as yur lay out reference...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Haytrader

sbishop,

Do you have a metel cutting bandsaw? Or a chop saw like this?
You can cut the angles you want easy.
To get both ends the same, just cut one, measure the length, and put a level on the first cut to line it up before clamping.
Haytrader

mason44

Drill press and hole saw is the most accurate, but scroll about 3/4 of the way down the page in the link below and you will find the quickest

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Links/

Dan_Shade

you can take a sawzall and cut a V that is close.  I'm am not a fan at all of smashed and welded gates, they are MUCH weaker than one that is kept round.  take the pains, and notch out the tubing, and it'll hold up to climbing and driving the truck into it :)

JEGS racing sells a bunch of stuff to help with layout:  http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product2_10001_10002_761309_-1

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Captain

I've not tried the 45 degree shopsaw trick in the link, but I will next time especially on heavier pipe....

Captain

Handy Andy

What I do is just use a piece of square tube for the ends, and cut your pipe square all the same length, and just butt the pipe to the square tubing. 
My name's Jim, I like wood.

bitternut

I used a free program called winmiter. You input the details of your pipe and it prints out a full size template. You then wrap the template around your pipe end and cut the pipe to match. I used my Bosch jig saw with a metal cutting blade and a grinder. I now have a plasma cutter and would most likely use that. Its really quite easy to do. They also sell pipe wrap templates at welding supply stores.

Here is a picture of the gate I made at the entrance to our woods.

sbishop

That Winmiter program is the way to go, thanks for all the reply's. I'll post a pic when it's done!

Bitternut, you have a close up pic of your hinges?

Thanks

bitternut

No I could not find a closeup of the hinges but if you are not in a big hurry I can get one in the next few days. I made them using solid round stock welded to the steel posts and the gate. I drilled a hole through the center and used either 3/4 or 1 round bar stock for the pins. I don't remember for sure what the sizes of the material is. I also put grease fittings in them and give each one a shot of grease once a year. Gate works great...........very solid.

sbishop

i'm going to weld one up next week, so I have lots of time. if you can get a pic of the hinges that would be great!

Thanks for you help

Sbishop

TexasTimbers

I may have missed it if it was posted but you guys ought to be using the hinged jig that is made for exactly what you are aimong to do. My photo stuff ain't workin right now or i would post a pic but they are stocked in every welding supply in the country.

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

schmism

you can notch the end of the pipe by cutting angles on the end.

hears how to do  it

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=456800

that looks like this

039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

beenthere

Quote from: schmism on July 31, 2007, 02:57:49 PM
[img width=392 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--/img319/1767/worthless0pz.gif[/img]

Didn't find them in your gallery. ??  ??   ::) ::)   ;D ;D ;D
And I bet they are good too.  :)  As was the quote I found in your other post. Thanks, it's a good one.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

schmism

DOH  i suppose i cant link the attached images.... although they show up for me, its likely because they are in my cache  :(

anyway hit the link they are shown there
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

Paul_H

Kevjay,

those hinged jigs look like they would be the Cat's pajamas!
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

TexasTimbers

I don't know of a faster way. About 3 seconds to trace the pipe and 15 seconds with a cutting torch if you are slow, and you are ready to weld.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

rebocardo

I guess it comes down to how much you want to invest in tools. I have a bi-metal (use lots of oil) hole saw set for 3/4"-4", a joint jigger (sort of expensive), and 12 ton tube bender.

If you want to do it cheaply and still have a fairly nice fishmouth, get a compass, draw your circles on cardboard, cut out, transfer to your tubes with magic marker. Then get a skill saw with a METAL blades (the ones at Home Depot are okay) and cut them out (slowly). Just make sure the blade does not hit the inside of the pipe. If the blade is too long when the Skill saw is in the extended position, just cut the blade end off until it fits inside the pipe, IF it can't fit though both sides at once.

A 6" metal blade should be fine though if it is 1/8" mild steel tubing.

Furby

You mean a jigsaw or saber saw right?

sbishop

Got my gate all welded up, works GREAT!!!!!

Sbishop

Thank You Sponsors!