iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Calling Dr.Roof

Started by Jeff, May 01, 2004, 07:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

That helped some. Thanks.  I guess that all shingles are asphalt or glass if they aren't natural.  Glass had big sales here until it was found that they didn't take the heat like asphalt. The most popular long term shingle in south florida is tile.  I'd hate to be the roofer that put that stuff up.

The hardest part of roofing, I've found, is the disposal of the old roof. Nobody wants that stuff.  It's almost worth hiring the roof to be installed just to not worry about it.

I was going to put the next roof on my house but I think I'm thinking with a 30 year-old brain in a 62 year old body.  Who am I kidding. I trip and fall walking across the front yard. :D

Stan

QuoteI was going to put the next roof on my house but I think I'm thinking with a 30 year-old brain in a 62 year old body.  Who am I kidding. I trip and fall walking across the front yard. :D

Good thinkin' Tom, I did it at 55 and it really hurt.  :'(
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

J_T

Why would I want a 30 year roof  ???I don't even buy green bannay's  ;D Dr Roof billing or collecting ???
Jim Holloway

Furby

Yeah, I thought I was collecting  ??? ??? ???

Hey Jeff, stupid ? but if you stopped to take pics, why didn't you knock on the door and ask?

Jeff

QuoteYeah, I thought I was collecting  ??? ??? ???

Hey Jeff, stupid ? but if you stopped to take pics, why didn't you knock on the door and ask?

Some people appreciate their privacy and I try to respect that. It there was someone outside I might have.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Furby

I respect you for that Jeff, but where did the pics come from ???  ;D
If it was a Sunday, I can understand. Any other day of the week I would have just asked. A lot of people do like to have there home admired and are more then willing to talk about them, even to a stranger.
But I do see where you were coming from.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

etat

I'm certain it's not a Certainteed ;D.  They don't make a three tab shingle like that, I'm certain of that too. ;D

Each manufacturer calls it's colors different names, even though they may be similar.  Also, if the shingles come from a different plant, there may be a noticible difference in the coloring, even though it may be called the same color.

For example, Certainteed moire black, and GAFcharcoal black, and Owens Corning onyx black  are the exact same color, maybe shaded just a bit from each other.  From one house to the next they will look the same.

About every 4 to 5 years, especially on the odd colors shingle manufacturers will change the colors a bit, and call them the same name.  I usually keep a few bundles of older shingles laying around for repair work, or take a shingle or shingles off of the back of the house and put on the front if the repair is on the front.

Some shingle manufacturers will call a 40 year shingle and a 20 year three tab shingle different color names, even though they are basically the same color.  

Especially on larger jobs I usually bring samples of whole shingles because they may be slightly different from the color on the small sample charts.  Some homeowners won't mind, but some you better show em exactly what they're getting.

It's a gamble at best trying to match odd colors shingles, such as these, from pictures.  

Furby, I thing you and J_T BOTH oughta collect!!!!! ;D

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

SwampDonkey

cktate  ;)

I'm still waiting for the judges final decision :D :D

Looks purdy darn close to me ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Nope. Not there.  Believe me, I am durn good in matching comparisons. In my Artsy fartsy days had to do a lot of color mixing and matching for paintings and got a pretty good eye. No match yet. :)

SwampDonkey

hmmm

Seems to be more slate grey and brick red in your pictures I guess, Jeff. Helps also to see the real thing with the naked eye instead of a blury pic.hahahaha ;) ;D

Well, if ya can't find the brand then give Certainteed a call :D :D :D :D

etat

Certainteed is my absolutely favorite brand. ;D  Around here quality and price they're hard to beat. :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Jeff

Update. NO LUCK.  We "settled" on a couple choices you guys found. Took the them up to the lumber company, they checked them out and was told by the distributer that none of our choices were not available in this area. :-/

I know they got to be somewhere. We have found a few more houses with them on. We have resorted to knocking on doors and it seems no one lives in any of the houses that have these shingles. At least not during the week. They are apparently weekend houses.

Tom

Jeff,
Is it the kind of thing that shopping on the internet would make fruitful?  If you are going to do the work yourself, buy them from the company that makes them.  Or........  buy them from a dealer 500 miles away. ;D

Jeff

Been tryng the internet. I am finding they only sell certain shingles in certain zones.

Tom

oh :-/  Well ain't that the pits. :D

chet

Well that settles it. Yur going ta have ta move da house to a different zone.   ;)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

SwampDonkey

Jeff:

Isn't that a pain in the whazoo?  >:( ::)

Jeff

QuoteWell that settles it. Yur going ta have ta move da house to a different zone.   ;)

Just might. Very real chance that Tammy is going to lose her job. Harrison board of education is strongly considering sellin out and trading in our school bus drivers in favor of privatized transportation. The company wont even be using school buses or trained drivers.  She is at a union meeting now.

Tom

That happened here year before last.   Our local school bus companies were, all of a sudden, out of work and holding lots of dollars of bus inventory and drivers with no jobs.  It never has seemed to bother the school board though.  

Now our Tax dollars are going up north somewhere.

This is what I have against Government Privatizing.  Privatization drains the local economy.

It also puts the control of the community in the hands of people who have no vested interest.  An example is the latest food stamp SNAFU.  The Help-line is answered in India. Now, like the food stamp program or not, what in the deuce do the Indians have to do with telling our citizens what to do?

Thank You Sponsors!