iDRY Vacuum Kilns

computer help

Started by Mike_Barcaskey, March 30, 2009, 07:22:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_Barcaskey

for lack of a better place to put this, I figure computer talk goes here

What anti-virus, spyware are you guys using. I need a top line. Been running the free-bees like AVG and SuperAntiSpyWare but they are not cutting it. 
I'm looking at webroot.

recently got infected with a new one, Anti-Virus Number 1. A nasty little bug to get rid of.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

thecfarm

I use Norton anti virus,never had a problem,yet.My internet provider stops some form even reaching my computer.There will be a couple every week that is stopped from reaching me.Seems like there are 3-4  different grades of Norton.I use the $60 one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Norman here, and never infected.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

I've been happy with Windows Live One-CareĀ®

Plus, for one subscription, I can put three computers on it (helps with a laptop, and his/hers computers now on the net).  Cost $50 per year.

This one doesn't slow my computers down like Norton always did.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Yeah, Norton seems to take over. On my old computer i had to take it off and basically tossed the box in the trash. I installed and now use Norman and it doesn't seem to bog me down.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Warbird

On the Windows systems at work, we run Norton.  It is bloated and will sometimes bring a system to its knees but you can disable a bunch of the 'fluff' and leave just the AV running.

How are you 'cleaning' the system that has been infected?  If you are just trying to clean it, then that may be part of the problem.  When a system is initially infected, depending on symptoms, I often recommend that important files be backed up (not entire system directories, lest you back up the virus too), the hard drive low level formatted, and the OS reinstalled.  The thing is, once a system is known to be infected and known to have been 'touched', you have no way of knowing if another back door was installed.  It is one of the things Bad Guys do a lot of the time.  They do this so that if the initial vector of attack is located and fixed, they still have a way in later.

You should also look at patching all software you have installed on it.  Folks will often do the Windows updates and the AV updates but entirely forget about all of the other programs they've installed (MS Office, Adobe Acrobat, you name it).  Many of these programs are so full of holes it isn't funny.  And security patches are often released for them.

I do not mean to alarm you; however, if you have a system that seems to keep being infected and it hasn't been formatted and reinstalled yet, then this may be what is going on.  If this is not it, then you need to start looking at browsing habits, who is using the computer, etc.

As someone (IMERC, I believe?) said in another thread, no AV program is 100% effective.  There are always new vectors of attack and the AV software will always lag behind as new virus definitions are created.  Then they have to be downloaded to the client.  Also, AV will only help against viruses, trojans, and the like.  They will not defned you from 'everything'.

beenthere

Had a few issues with that "Anti-virus-1" malware. Mostly with grand daughters at college running Norton. Called up to see if "grandpa" can fix it.  :)

It pops up on the screen looking like a bonifide Microsoft window, with several alarming viruses listed, some that it says have been removed, and a couple "dangerous" ones that need attention. The tendancy is to go ahead and click "continue", which connects/launches the virus. It won't let go, and leads one to think they have to pay money to get the virus removed. Even clicking the red X in the corner to close it will only start it up. A grand son managed to get it into his Mom's computer too. Took her about an hour with phone help to get rid of it. There are discussions on it's infection/removal if one google's anti-virus-1 to see how it shows up, and how it can be removed.

Also had "Norman" on the laptop for a year, after a computer shop removed some virus let in by Norton. I didn't find it allowed the laptop to run any faster than when it was under Norton.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Sure is a big difference in my experience. Hardly know it's running. Sometimes there is bloatware installed that has nothing to do with Anti-virus software that cause mayhem with speed and performance as well.

DouginUtah

My MIL's laptop got infected with Anti-Virus Number-1.

If you have the right link it is very easy to get rid of it. Of course you need another computer to get the download, but about three clicks (and an hour while it searches for infections) and it is gone.

http://www.geekpolice.net/malware-removal-guides-f12/how-to-remove-antivirus-number-1-or-av1-delete-guide-t7527.htm

-Doug
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---