iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tramp Metal X- 5 , How to Avoid?

Started by Andy White, May 05, 2013, 11:29:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy White

Sawing SYP flooring for my drying shed Saturday, and heard that screeching sound, and knew I hit metal in log. Mill still fed easily and not in a bind, so continued with last 3 feet of cut when screeching again, and a rapid increase in force to finish that cut. Pulled flitch and saw a 1/4" stranded wire showing, and about 12" further, a large nail. The wire did not do much blade damage as looking at the cant shows just slight scratches, until the nail, and it all went downhill from there. Dug out the wire, to find it was attached to a large Eye Bolt another 1/4" deep. Pulled the nail, rescanned the log with detector, and showed clear. Ha! after 3 bands, and a lot of wondering if I really needed that flooring, I finished that log. Found 4 more nails. I wondered how long that bolt had been waiting for my blade, so I counted rings in slab and flitches, and the base of the bolt was 47 rings deep. That thing probably was put in that tree by a camper shortly after the lake was filled in early sixties.. More junk for my collection...   Andy

Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Magicman

There are some that you can not avoid.  They come with the log and are just a fact of life.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

With Pine especially , they are kinda self healers with no to very little indications of debris, in this case, looks like someone had a hammock perhaps, something that Lyle was needing just a few minutes ago, ;D    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

scully

The last log on a job I did was a 30"+ hard maple . Sawed the whole log and got down to the pith board 2" thick decided to split that 3" in I hit wire ! I couldn't belive it !
I bleed orange  .

WDH

I have been on a bad roll here recently when it comes to metal in logs.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

It's not a guarentee, but look at the last two pics and you will notice the resign build up around the metal,  this is what I have found to be the only indicator when dealing with pine and tramp metal, Lots of pine show this resign and the butts and is hard to distinguish from metal or natural growth, the only strong indicator is where did the log come from, chances are that yard trees and one in the vicinity are good candidates for metal.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

Just buy a metal detector , and save your blades :D :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

red oaks lumber

iv'e hit way more hardware in forest trees than yard trees.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

A log stop jumped up today and hit my blade  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pineywoods

Quote from: WDH on May 06, 2013, 09:26:15 PM
A log stop jumped up today and hit my blade  :).
AGAIN ??? You need to implement a gremlin eradication program. Maybe they are hiding somewhere besides the sawdust pile...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

WDH

It was a moment of indiscretion. 

Thank You Sponsors!