iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How big to mill dimensional

Started by BeeBazaar, August 07, 2023, 08:16:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeeBazaar

I'm going to be milling some walnut for baseboards at my house.  I have limited experience as I am pretty green, no pun intended🙄

If I want 6" tall x true 1" thick by whatever length, how big should I mill to have room to finish process.   Planning on jointing planing and finish cutting on the table saw.  I just want to limit scarp or maximize use.

maineshops

Just finished 800 bf of papal and fir. I set o 1 in which gave me a 7/8 in board. Ran it through my parks planer 3 passes that gave me a 3/4 finished board. I had a few arms with saw marks on one side and I just put that face down or cut that portion out. Dan
Phil:4, 13

ladylake

You might want to make it thinner, most houses the walls aren't straight and a full inch wont  bend very easy.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

SawyerTed

The top of a 1" thick baseboard will be a dust collector!   :o  

Have you mocked up a 1" baseboard to see how it looks?   If 1" base has a quarter round or shoe molding at the bottom, it could begin to look heavy.  

Go thinner and stretch that walnut.   
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

BeeBazaar

I haven't mocked anything up.  I would probably put a radius on the top tho.   No toenail or quarter round will be used either.  Just curious how much extra I should build in to the rough cut to get the end result 

Nebraska

Usually Hardwood scale 1" (which on my mill is  a thick 1 1/8") will finish  down to about an inch.  I'd saw to 6 1/2 " or a little  taller to allow for some movement  while drying.   Then you can true it up later before processing. Depends on your Walnut supply how stingy you need to be.

JRWoodchuck

Length will also matter to how wide to cut it. If the logs are short you won't have to straighten them up as much. 
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

terrifictimbersllc

I cut 1-1/8 for flooring intended to be 3/4. Wider and/or quartersawn i usually try to talk to customer into 1-1/4, or ask them at least to talk to whoever is going to make the flooring To get their recommendation.

I suggest if you have time that you make some of the finished product first to both decide on how to mill it in the beginning and confirm the overall plan.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Den-Den

I would consider 1-1/4" x 6-3/4" the minimum for straight grain walnut to finish up 1" x 6" and increase the green size if the logs are not top quality.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Don P

Walls and floors have never been straight. 3 piece base was the solution. Often 7/8 thick x 8" tall, stiff and straight. The base shoe conforms to the undulations of the floor along the straight base. The base cap conforms to the undulations of the wall.

scsmith42

To answer your question, for drying related shrinkage in hardwood, the rule of thumb is to expect at least 1/16" and up to 1/8" shrinkage per inch of thickness / width.

So, if you want a 1' x 6" dry, rough sawn board, mill it at 1-1/8" x 6-3/4" green.  It will shrink down close to 1x6 as it dries  (probably just a little bit over).

Each species shrinks a little differently in terms of radial versus tangential, so the actual amount will vary depending upon where in the log the board was milled.

For millwork, in widths less than 10" you usually remove 1/8" per face, so a dry 1" board will fully surface on two sides at 3/4".  A lot of people have a better recovery than this (1/16" per face), but 1/8" is a good standard to use.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Stephen1

I did cherry baseboards, very simple 1-4. I have squared them my selfs and they are 3.5" x 3/4 but as Ted says the dust sits on top of the 3/4" . Cathy has cleaned the tops a couple of times now and has suggested it might be my turn next time to clean those baseboards.. :)
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!