iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Overhead Cable for Hydraulic Hoses

Started by Rougespear, April 04, 2016, 11:48:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rougespear

Hi all, just looking for some ideas and points for getting the hydraulic hoses from my mill deck to the moving saw carriage.  I have settled on an overhead cable system where I can hang the hydraulic hose up near the level of the top of the carriage and it coils/un-coils as the carriage moves back and forth along the mill deck.  I am only hanging a pair of 3/8" hydraulic hoses so not a hung load.

I am unsure how far to let the cable hang, how to attach it to the cable so it slides (little rollers maybe?), whether I should loop the cable or just let it droop down, or how much slack the hose should have in it relative to the length of travel (for example: 2' more the the total length of travel)?  I have a 25' cutting deck, and I'm assuming the hose should hang about 18" down between each attachment point... so that would make about 16-17 attachments?

Any thoughts, pictures, recommendations, and pointers will be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.
Custom built Cook's-style hydraulic bandmill.

Brad_S.

Google Timber Harvester sawmills: that is exactly how they did it. I can get you photos of mine if you need more info.

Here is a photo from my gallery which shows the cable when the carriage is all the way down the track. I think I have 5-6 attachments. I wouldn't go 16-17...they would catch each other or bunch up when at the short end.
u
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Rougespear

Close up and overall photos would be absolutely awesome!

york

Hi,

Go on you tube and search for the TH mill in operation...
Albert

DMcCoy

47sawdust

The Cooks HD32 series mill uses the same system as Timber Harvester.It looks like they have 4 or 5 attachments.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Brad_S.

Forgive the quality, had to use phone camera and it's not the best.
Note only 5 hangers. The pushback bar mounted between the cable support pulley and the rollers/hangers is very important. Without it pushing, the rollers tilt and don't roll free which causes the whole thing to just bind up.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

killamplanes

I have poles at each end of mill cable hookin between them old wooden rollers and some little steel rollers with string holding hydraulic line and wiring mine electric power. Hate to now how many miles those rollers got.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Rougespear

Sorry for MY late reply... was out in the bush logging!  Thanks so much for all the input folks... sure does help.

Cheers

Thank You Sponsors!