iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Breaking in a new Skillmill

Started by Riles, June 24, 2007, 07:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riles

Well, all the pieces finally made it here. The boys in brown didn't exactly cover themselves in glory on this one, delivering the two pieces two weeks apart. "Intact and on time" is the slogan I heard repeatedly while on hold. That doesn't help.

The rails got here first, with a 48 inch cant hook and 5 gallons of Anchorseal for perspective:

Then the sawhead makes an appearance:

Nice depiction of the sawmill on the box:

When you break open the box, your first decision is "Do I put the stickers on the mill or my car?"

Your second thought is "Where do all these parts go?"

And that skinny little rail crate holds deceptively more pieces:

More to follow as I make progress.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Bibbyman

How that there's funny!  I don't care who you are... 

:D :D :D :D :D  ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Ianab

No tree will be safe now  :D 8)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Part_Timer

I'd put them on both the car and the mill. 

I know it looks like a lot of pieces but the directions are well put together and easy to follow.  I put the demo together in about 35 minutes.

You'll be making dust in no time.  Congrats on the mill.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Wife

So where's the next pikkies??? I'm busting here, waiting...?? :-\
Kerris, in the background....
Petersons Global Sales Ltd
15c Hyland Cres
Rotorua, New Zealand
www.petersonsawmills.com
kbrowne@petersonsawmills.com
Ph +64 7 3480863

beenthere

We are too.... ;D

..err anxious for pics, not "waxing monkeys"   ;D  ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Riles

Well, I took a little damage enroute, the power cord was nicked between the motor and the E-Stop switch. It was an easy fix, but then I realized the cord was now too short to move all the way back and forth. So, it's at the local motor shop having a longer piece installed. I didn't have a problem with putting new terminals on to connect it to the motor, but I wasn't going to mess with the wiring inside the E-Stop.

At the same time, they're installing the GFI protection and the 240V plug. Man, talk about a crash course in electrical plugs, I never knew there were so many. Explains why it ships without one, there's a different plug every place you try to plug it in.

By the way, if you're curious:

http://nooutage.com/nema_configurations.htm

I've got the frame put together, just waiting on the motor.

Part_Timer

It took me two days to figure out to buy an inline GFCI for it.
Peterson 8" ATS.

Riles

Is your inline GFCI hard wired or just plugged in? I think that's what's slowing my motor guy down, he already has the repair job done.

I found these online:

http://www.trcelectrical.com/search.php?categoryID=87

But I figured I'd leave it up to the professionals.

Part_Timer

The ones I got for Kerris and Chris were an inline type.  I cut the cord on the mill and wired it in line.  I think they were either hubbel or woodhead I'd have to check ,but can if you would like.  I think they were about $40-$50 or so.
Peterson 8" ATS.

LOGDOG

What's the scoop on that SkillMill Riles? You're just down the hill from me. I'd be curious to see it run.

LOGDOG

Riles

Actually, I've packed up the homestead and moved to the retirement property in NC. Well, almost. We're renting while we build, but we can't build until we close on the LA house.

If you're interested, I know of a white oak log about 11' long and 44" diameter. I was sorely tempted to take delivery of the skillmill just for that log, but I knew we were overweight for the move. It's been on the ground (gravel parking lot) for a year and a half, but still looks to be in great shape. A grade 1 log or better.

I've finally got all the parts together and running on the skillmill, but find it's not as portable as I thought. With the small extensions on each end that enable the carriage to cut a full 13 feet, (making it about 16 feet) it's too big for the minivan. And I can't leave it on the farm because I can't secure it. So once the BIL finishes his new building, I'll move it there and cut his trees until I get mine finished. Patience truly is a virtue.

johncinquo

Have ya cut anything with it yet? 

Buy a bigger van! :D
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

treeworkx

what was the outcome of the new skillmill?

Thank You Sponsors!